• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 55 12.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 394 86.0%

• Total voters

ozlegend

Audio Company
Hi Redwine
NCx500 My personnel opinion is I like the a lot.
You can listen louder without it being uncomfortable and the speakers protesting.
More bass
Better soundstage
More engaging and musical, I had to stay all afternoon in my listening room I have never done that with other products
Hope that helps.
These are also my impressions of their sound quality- and my experience of not wanting to stop listening!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any others?
@Apollon Audio has listed both Stereo and Multichanel nCx500 amps:

DSC06827-scaled-min-jpg.webp

DSC06808-scaled-min-2048x1366.webp

4-4-jpg.webp
5-5-jpg.webp

ApollonAudio-Pure-5-System-Purifi-1ET400A-multichannel-front-top-min-jpg.webp

DSC08408-copy-min-jpg.webp

Apollon-Audio-Purifi-Multichannel-1et400a-backplate-min-jpg.webp

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nord also updated the line with NCx500.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
yes but the look is totally different (another level <3 ..... for the double of price :) )

I don't buy with my eyes. I prefer to spend money on what's inside. To each his own I suppose. My amps are out of sight in any case so it doesn't make sense to pay 2x the price for fancy cosmetics. And, if I wanted something nice to look at I would probably make it myself. But that's just me.

marcom22

I don't buy with my eyes. I prefer to spend money on what's inside. To each his own I suppose. My amps are out of sight in any case so it doesn't make sense to pay 2x the price for fancy cosmetics. And, if I wanted something nice to look at I would probably make it myself. But that's just me.
I understood Goryu (I'm on amir's site before of you) but always the Hypex ncx500 there is inside ..........

Hapo

...Apollon won't ship to USA...

Last edited:

Hapo

I bought a 1ET400 Mini Stereo from them in '21 and I'm in the US.

...try it now...(grin)

...what do input buffers do on a power amp...???...

Last edited:

glc650

...try it now...(grin)
I did. They still offer US 110v as power option and they still offer the US as an option for billing/shipping.
Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 9.29.36 PM.png

Did you actually try to place an order and have them come back and say they no longer ship to US or?

Last edited:

Hapo

...no, I put an item in a cart and it said there was "no solution for shipping to the USA" after I added all the options... (?)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
...what do input buffers do on a power amp...???...
Some modules have very low gain and/or low input impedance. That makes them difficult if not impossible to drive to full output with low distortion using some consumer preamps, processors, or DACs. The input buffer provides gain and high impedance to the driving source so it sees a higher impedance (easier to drive) and requires lower signal level for the power amp to reach maximum output. Most power amps you can buy will include an input buffer and output stage inside the box, usually as a single circuit, but some class D manufacturers separate the two so designers can roll their own input buffer to provide additional features like selectable gain and (perhaps) better performance.

HTH - Don

Hapo

...thank you for explaining...I actually understood that...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

aitsu

...no, I put an item in a cart and it said there was "no solution for shipping to the USA" after I added all the options... (?)
Click the "Enter a different address link" and fill in the details, click update, and it'll give you shipping info.

1677597672009.png

Hapo

...thanks...I didn't get that far...I see it said "option"...sorry for the imprecision...

...I am trying to determine what makes them so much more expensive than Audiologic or Nord...

...they seem to take a hit @ 2 ohm compared to the reference design...

...if I can just wait a little this x module will be obsolete and less expensive...

Last edited:
Top Bottom