• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great recordings of classical music

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
He greatly exaggerates tempo changes

According to whom, though? Tchaikovsky?

and makes dynamic changes that I've not heard before.

Most historically informed performance is like that. It’s not based on a whim, but on studying performance practice of the respective period. And on the taste and insight of the conductor/performer, of course. That’s why HIP performances don’t all sound the same. They do tend to sound more interesting and engaging to me.

I find him generally to be wildly intemperate.

Again, probably a good thing. Putting the repertoire through the rock tumber for the last 100 years takes a lot of undoing.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Again, probably a good thing. Putting the repertoire through the rock tumber for the last 100 years takes a lot of undoing.
He does the same with almost everything and it always seems perverse to me. You are welcome to him.

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
Beautiful music, beautiful performance, beautiful recording.

4444708-origpic-8f4fc3.jpg_0_0_100_100_250_250_0.jpg

Daverz

Major Contributor
I urge you to try Sanderling’s Mahler too, particularly Das Lied von der Erdle.
View attachment 265462

That's a great set, long out of print, but I think all of this is available for streaming or download. However, I wouldn't place the Das Lied above classic recordings like Ludwig/Wunderlich/Klemperer, Baker/King/Haitink or Miller/Haefliger/Walter.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
That's a great set, long out of print, but I think all of this is available for streaming or download. However, I wouldn't place the Das Lied above classic recordings like Ludwig/Wunderlich/Klemperer, Baker/King/Haitink or Miller/Haefliger/Walter.

Sanderling's Das Lied is supposed to be one of the best performances according to this list, alongside the others that you named (although I would say Patzak / Ferrier / Walter is arguably the superior version. It is sadly let down by subpar recording with a bit too much treble and sounds rather thin. Ferrier was dying of cancer (she would die one year after this recording) and so she puts in a particularly heartfelt and heartbreaking rendition, particularly in Der Abschied. She famously was so overcome that she could not finish the song.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Sanderling's Das Lied is supposed to be one of the best performances according to this list, alongside the others that you named (although I would say Patzak / Ferrier / Walter is arguably the superior version. It is sadly let down by subpar recording with a bit too much treble and sounds rather thin. Ferrier was dying of cancer (she would die one year after this recording) and so she puts in a particularly heartfelt and heartbreaking rendition, particularly in Der Abschied. She famously was so overcome that she could not finish the song.

Yes, I'm aware of Tony Duggan's surveys, and re-read it before posting when I was looking for the name of the contralto. I found Birgit Finnila disappointing in Abschied. I don't find her up to the standards of the other singers mentioned (few are). I did enjoy Schreier's contribution, but if Abschied is a letdown, I'm not going to revisit the recording.

No reservations about Sanderling's recording of the Mahler 10th, though, it's one of the best.

That Ferrier/Patzak/Walter is considered better than Miller/Haefliger/Walter is indeed the common received opinion, but it seems to be based on a moving narrative about the circumstances of the recording rather than the actual quality of singing (singers past their prime or ill), playing (VPO was pretty rough in that era), and sonics. Das Lied collectors should have it, though perhaps as a 3rd or 4th recording.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
@computer-audiophile cello is also one of my favorite instruments. I play the double bass so I follow closely my “closer” relative in the string family. Btw I really like as well Enrico Dindo’s Bach suites recordings, though I am not sure they are available for streaming
Hi Joel

This is great, double bass is part of the family and I don't dislike it any less with its full, earthy sound. I especially like small ensembles where the instruments individually come into their own and I like to be close to them. Fortunately, I have this opportunity more often. I find contemporary classic the most interesting, where extended playing techniques are often used.

Foto I made recently in Dresden:

closeup.jpg

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
@computer-audiophile cello is also one of my favorite instruments. I play the double bass so I follow closely my “closer” relative in the string family. Btw I really like as well Enrico Dindo’s Bach suites recordings, though I am not sure they are available for streaming

I found it on Deezer HiFi, and we listened to it for breakfast today. Beautiful interpretation. We know the Bach pieces, of course - we've heard them many times.

bach.jpg

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also nominate any recent recordings by Jordi Savall, for sheer performance and sound quality.
Recordings are to highest quality. Most available in Hires too.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Supplementary to #95:

I also think it's nice when the musicians are festively dressed, it underlines the dignity of such a performance. Unfortunately, that hasn't always been the case lately. Moreover, according to my observations, there are regional differences in how closely this is viewed in Germany as well.

mkt

If you like classical (you are reading this thread) and you pay attention to @Floyd Toole 's book (you are reading this forum), then the inexorable conclusion is that multichannel is worthy of your consideration sorry this is just logic I don't make the rules

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
If you like classical (you are reading this thread) and you pay attention to @Floyd Toole 's book (you are reading this forum), then the inexorable conclusion is that multichannel is worthy of your consideration sorry this is just logic I don't make the rules
This discussion about certain reproduction techniques is off topic here, I think. I take note of your preference, but it doesn't affect me personally.

Top Bottom