• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D400ES DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 58 24.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 153 65.4%

• Total voters

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're kidding. Soo we have, SMSL SU-9 Pro? SMSL D400 ES? And SMSL DO300? A bit much no?
I think the SU-9 pro was their first foray into the new ES9039pro chip, and it was offered as a “mid-priced” option to their existing line at the time as it lacks I2S, AES or other fancy connectors. This new D400 ES/EX line is just a refresh of their TOTL DACs with the latest flagship offerings from AKM and ESS. To remain competitive I can understand why they released units to capitalize on the latest DAC chips—some folks haven’t gotten the memo that we had already hit a functional limit with the AK4499 and ES9038pro (probably before that).

Digital audio is just spinning its wheels at this point, trying to release “new” products and chipsets offering the illusion that the technology keeps getting more advanced. Since our ears can’t tell the difference anymore, I’m sticking with my d90se until it goes splat.

The only product that has piqued my interest of late is the Gustard A26, since it is their first to offer an integrated DAC and streamer that is native DSD 512 and PCM 768 capable (not that I could hear that either)…

Trell

Major Contributor
I think the SU-9 pro was their first foray into the new ES9039pro chip, and it was offered as a “mid-priced” option to their existing line at the time as it lacks I2S, AES or other fancy connectors. This new D400 ES/EX line is just a refresh of their TOTL DACs with the latest flagship offerings from AKM and ESS. To remain competitive I can understand why they released units to capitalize on the latest DAC chips—some folks haven’t gotten the memo that we had already hit a functional limit with the AK4499 and ES9038pro (probably before that).

Digital audio is just spinning its wheels at this point, trying to release “new” products and chipsets offering the illusion that the technology keeps getting more advanced. Since our ears can’t tell the difference anymore, I’m sticking with my d90se until it goes splat.

The only product that has piqued my interest of late is the Gustard A26, since it is their first to offer an integrated DAC and streamer that is native DSD 512 and PCM 768 capable (not that I could hear that either)…
My impression from reading here on ASR is that they’re releasing very similar devices once or twice a year while not addressing issues of various kinds. Topping is another company doing the same, as far as I can tell.

So instead of fixing existing issues, that all manufacturers have, they release a new model.

luft262

Who are these people voting "poor" and why lol! WTF!?

zhgutov

So instead of fixing existing issues, they release a new model.
So what is the difference? If they release a new model they can tell it doesn't have some issues anymore.
If they fix some issues in existing models, we need to buy a new version of the same unit anyway.
Or you expect they will replace all existing units?

Trell

Major Contributor
So what is the difference? If they release a new model they can tell it doesn't have some issues anymore.
If they fix some issues in existing models, we need to buy a new version of the same unit anyway.
Or you expect they will replace all existing units?
Manufactures adjust the production of devices to fix various issues (among other reasons) and existing customers are handled using warranty or just otherwise compensate them.

With the current business model of Topping/SMSL I expect little to no support just after release. For a $100 device that could work well for many as just a throwaway item, but when the price start as approaching $1000, not so much, at least for me.

zhgutov

With the current business model of Topping/SMSL I expect little to no support just after release. For a $100 device that could work well for many as just a throwaway item, but when the price start as approaching $1000, not so much, at least for me.
As I can see, for example, in the case of A90 Discrete someone successfully got the replacement and described the case in the corresponding thread here.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eview-headphone-amp-preamp.35114/post-1459043

Last edited:

luft262

Manufactures adjust the production of devices to fix various issues (among other reasons) and existing customers are handled using warranty or just otherwise compensate them.

What are the major issues with it that supposedly keep it from being a stand out product compared to the competition?

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My impression from reading here on ASR is that they’re releasing very similar devices once or twice a year while not addressing issues of various kinds. Topping is another company doing the same, as far as I can tell.

So instead of fixing existing issues, that all manufacturers have, they release a new model.
I would have to agree, and again I think they are releasing new units according to market competition rather than innovation. It’s amusing that ritzy brands like Chord can keep selling an eight year old DAVE for $14,000 in 2023 and their acolytes don’t seem to mind that their wares are long past stale. But Chinese audio brands seem to be held to a different standard—I suspect because they are unjustly viewed in a lower “class”.

I don’t know what it is about digital audio specifically, but with any other tech product that uses microchips and exists in the digital realm, the SOTA progresses so rapidly that last year’s smart phone or TV is viewed as undesirable amongst big spender enthusiasts. It appears that the same phenomenon exists to some extent for Chinese-produced DACs that employ delta sigma chipsets.

Yet certain hallowed manufacturers who have proprietary DAC architectures can ride the wave of a “flagship” product for years, which to me is the equivalent of spending 2023 A-stock prices for a six year old tower PC. I don’t get it. If we were talking about analog audio, that’s another story. But digital technology exists on a logarithmically fast product life cycle. And again, we hit the audible limit a few years ago. PT Barnum, I guess.

The main issue I have with my d90se is the dropouts on the coax input with certain input sources (Blu ray players, SACD players, etc), allegedly due to the CS8416 input receiver they chose. I haven’t bothered to research whether they’ve abandoned that receiver in more recent offerings.

Which issues remain pervasive for you that you’re referring to here? Are they unique to each manufacturer or are they issues that are common to many of them? I’m just curious…

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
First this beautiful design, and now this:

SMSL D400ES Stereo USB DAC XLR Balanced DAC Filter Off Measurements.png

Order is out.

Cool. A tube output stage

Unbenannt.JPG

Last edited:

neg

Something I remarked in these new ESS9039PRO measurements out so far, another one courtesy of RAA here
is that the harmonics are extremely controlled, some H2 and H3 but all higher harmonics are really suppressed.

ESS9038 (Q2M):
View attachment 256400
(we are talking levels below 110dB until the very end so not an audible thing, but still cool to see this measured)

ESS9039 (Pro):
View attachment 256401
In a way this is yet another thing that bridges AKM's and ESS's final analog response closer together in that they perform almost exact same. All that's left is the implementation of the oversampling filters which are still quite different between the two manufacturerers.
It was I who took this instance of su9pro to raa.
By the way, I compared es400 and su9-pro. Sweat rolled down my forehead in tension, but I never heard any particular
difference between them. It seems that the problem with jitter in su9-pro has no practical significance.
To hell with them with blind tests, it's much more interesting when there is no difference in a sighted test!​

JktHifi

Vote for 3 because SMSL M500 MKIII cheaper (half the price) but better SINAD.

MBO

Smsl d400es is an excellent DAC, it has magical harmony and rhythm in the sound presentation. It is very different from previous Sabre DACs. The D400ES needs a good, high-level audio system to make it more or less clear what qualities this unit has.

Gerardo61

Smsl d400es is an excellent DAC, it has magical harmony and rhythm in the sound presentation. It is very different from previous Sabre DACs. The D400ES needs a good, high-level audio system to make it more or less clear what qualities this unit has.
Smsl do300 too

Lsc

I agree as well. It’s an excellent unit but I ended up returning mine for the su-9 pro which I think sounds just as good even though it looks way worse.

bobaachen

I got my D400ES today and am impressed by the sound. But I have an issue - when I set PCM Filter off and choose an other sound color than standard like tube or rich then I have many distortion, crackle. Any idea about that?

Lsc

I got my D400ES today and am impressed by the sound. But I have an issue - when I set PCM Filter off and choose an other sound color than standard like tube or rich then I have many distortion, crackle. Any idea about that?
I have the same issue with my SU-9 pro. Choosing linear fast is much better and no sound color. Tube is ok too.

bobaachen

I have the same issue with my SU-9 pro. Choosing linear fast is much better and no sound color. Tube is ok too.
That´s too bad as I really like the sound. I think I send it back to get a new one ...

Top Bottom