• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer/DAC for Genelec 8020d or 8030c

staticV3

Master Contributor
So I found the information below in the 8030c manual. Would a cable such as this work? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XRM105--hosa-xrm105-5-foot
Difficult to say as the Sweetwater cable doesn't have a diagram of its construction. The Monoprice cable I sent earlier is built as is recommended by Genelec.

Additionally, utilizing non balanced XLR connection changes the input level (i think) from +4db to -10db. Am I then supposed to adjust sensitivity on the 8030c (denoted "INPUT dBu PRODUCING 100db SPL)? Think I am finally nearing resolution, thanks for all your help.
Even with RCA going into the Genelec, I'd reduce the level on the Genelec to the minimum and do the rest on the DAC or your OS.

OP
strea

strea

Difficult to say as the Sweetwater cable doesn't have a diagram of its construction. The Monoprice cable I sent earlier is built as is recommended by Genelec.

Even with RCA going into the Genelec, I'd reduce the level on the Genelec to the minimum and do the rest on the DAC or your OS.
Understood. I actually think I solved this issue and planned to go with a Topping EX5 that has both balanced and RCA out. I can do balanced XLR out to the Genelecs and RCA out to the Micro 3000. This should work fine, yes?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I actually think I solved this issue and planned to go with a Topping EX5 that has both balanced and RCA out. I can do balanced XLR out to the Genelecs and RCA out to the Micro 3000. This should work fine, yes?
Yes, though potentially achievable at half the price with the SMSL D-6, if you don't need a built in headphone Amp.

Plus, if your Sub doesn't have to have pass-through, then there are a few more options:
-Dynamo 700w
-Paradigm SUB 10
-SuperCube 2000

Here's how much they can output at any given frequency without distorting (this is not frequency response!):
Screenshot_20230217-001025_Sheets.png
(data for the SUB 10 is only given as a single AVG value for 20-31.5Hz and another AVG for 40-60Hz, so take that graph with a grain of salt. The other three are fine)

Data is from here.

Last edited:

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just something to think about.
Most threads where adding a sub/s is discussed have at some point a recommendation to use a parametric equalizer to produce a particular house curve.
I'm going to raise some caution points.
I will assume you bought the Genelecs because of their measurements. The heavier handed one is with the equalizer the less like the original speaker they become. This may be okay for some but if one is going to iron the sound profile flat then there are cheaper options than the Genelecs.
There are some frequency in room problems that no amount of equalization will put right. I found the Genelec guide on placement suited my room better than the put the sub in the corner advice one often gets.
The filter options that genelec offer on the units themselves can if experimented with yield very respectable listening results even if the measurements suggest different.
Bear in mind how you listen to the music. If one only listens sat in a particular spot then perhaps the effort involved in getting a nice house curve is worthwhile. I like to have music on when I'm doing other things and want it sounding reasonably decent at various points in the room. It's surprising what sense your brain can make of even some seriously tatty looking graphical response readings.
Do whatever you can with the room and an SPL meter before using any software manipulation.
Be prepared to put quite a lot of time into getting the sound to your liking.

OP
strea

strea

Yes, though potentially achievable at half the price with the SMSL D-6, if you don't need a built in headphone Amp.

Plus, if your Sub doesn't have to have pass-through, then there are a few more options:
-Dynamo 700w
-Paradigm SUB 10
-SuperCube 2000

Here's how much they can output at any given frequency without distorting (this is not frequency response!):
View attachment 265278
(data for the SUB 10 is only given as a single AVG value for 20-31.5Hz and another AVG for 40-60Hz, so take that graph with a grain of salt. The other three are fine)
I see, although the SMSL D-6 has no XLR out for the Genelecs inputs? Are you suggesting use that with TRS to XLR connector for monitor input? If so, is TRS to XLR truly balanced like XLR to XLR? Sorry, noob here.

And I appreciate the sub chart. Considering they are all within 5db or so around 30hz if I read right, I think I'd stick with the Micro 3000. I like the SVS app feature so I can easily turn down the subwoofer at night but continue to use the monitors.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I see, although the SMSL D-6 has no XLR out for the Genelecs inputs? Are you suggesting use that with TRS to XLR connector for monitor input? If so, is TRS to XLR truly balanced like XLR to XLR? Sorry, noob here.
Yes, XLR and 1/4" TRS are interchangeable. Same signal, different plug.

If you want native XLR, there's the SMSL DO100. If you want the built-in headphone Amp, there's the C200. Both would save you around $150 compared to the EX5, and the D-6 would save $180.

However, I'm not 100% that the SMSLs output via RCA and XLR/TRS simultaneously, so best to check that first.

Last edited:
OP
strea

strea

Yes, XLR and 1/4" TRS are interchangeable. Same signal, different plug.

If you want native XLR, there's the SMSL DO100. If you want the built-in headphone Amp, there's the C200. Both would save you around $150 compared to the EX5, and the D-6 would save $180.

However, I'm not 100% that the SMSLs output via RCA and XLR/TRS simultaneously, so best to check that first.
Okay, the SMSL DO100 does look good. I do not need a built-in headphone amp at the moment, I'll think on this though. Thank you very much for all of your help, I may tag again if a question comes up if that is okay. Wishing you well!

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Trell

Major Contributor
Okay, the SMSL DO100 does look good. I do not need a built-in headphone amp at the moment, I'll think on this though. Thank you very much for all of your help, I may tag again if a question comes up if that is okay. Wishing you well!
You can’t add a headphone amp to a DAC if you already are using all the analog outputs, so if you think that you’ll later on would like to use headphones perhaps consider a combo DAC/HP amp device.

OP
strea

strea

You can’t add a headphone amp to a DAC if you already are using all the analog outputs, so if you think that you’ll later on would like to use headphones perhaps consider a combo DAC/HP amp device.
I already have a FLUX FC-10 Amp/DAC combo for headphones, but I may sell in future idk, I hardly ever use my headphones. Good insight though, perhaps I will future proof with a combo for small IEM's I wear on occasion.

ivayvr

One thing for certain! I am using RCA from my Bluesound Node 2i to XLR to the 7040 and XLR to XLR to 8020 DPM and there is no noise of any kind. My room is probably 50% larger and I actually had to dial down the sub to prevent getting an eviction notice.
I believe that bodhi offered the great suggestion involving GLM but if the space limitation is absolutely prohibitive, I understand that as well.

OP
strea

strea

One thing for certain! I am using RCA from my Bluesound Node 2i to XLR to the 7040 and XLR to XLR to 8020 DPM and there is no noise of any kind. My room is probably 50% larger and I actually had to dial down the sub to prevent getting an eviction notice.
I believe that bodhi offered the great suggestion involving GLM but if the space limitation is absolutely prohibitive, I understand that as well.
Nice to hear some love for the 7040a. How is the low end extension.. take a track like "305 to my city" from Drake, it has 29hz peaks right at the start of the song. Does the 7040 have any dig to it / does it represent 30hz region well?

ivayvr

This is what Genelec claims:
Frequency Response: 30 Hz - 90 Hz (-6 dB)
Since I only use it for music, I never ever came to the situation where I needed more bass.
Having a room calibration mentioned for some other subs is a real plus but I never had a chance to hear it or try it.
I will have to check "305 to..." later during the day or tomorrow. It is still early here for a test like that.
I am really impressed by how 7040 plays double bass on the "Heartplay" by Charlie Haden. The best part is that it makes a recognizable sound of an instrument and not the noise like some other subs I used to have.

Shadrach

I never ever came to the situation where I needed more bass.
I found it's what the sub did for the existing bass on the 8030C rather than the extended frequency response. Having those extra watts taking care of the frequencies below the 85Hz crossover makes a lot of difference to the sound.

bodhi

Forum Donor
Having a room calibration mentioned for some other subs is a real plus but I never had a chance to hear it or try it.

I sound like a broken record but this is something whose importance cannot be overestimated. In many untreated rooms there are one or two horrible peaks in bass frequencies, 10, 15 even 20dB. Fixing those with room correction brings so big difference that all other tweaks seem miniscule in comparision.

The thing is that if you haven't experienced smooth bass response you can take the boomy bass, maybe lowering the sub volume a lot, and you still get something out of the sub. But when you finally apply room correction you will have that aha-moment: this is how it's supposed to sound. And for a short while you might be a little underwhelmed in some songs but after some time you can't ever go back to the boom city.

OP
strea

strea

This is what Genelec claims:
Frequency Response: 30 Hz - 90 Hz (-6 dB)
Since I only use it for music, I never ever came to the situation where I needed more bass.
I will have to check "305 to..." later during the day or tomorrow. It is still early here for a test like that.
I am really impressed by how 7040 plays double bass on the "Heartplay" by Charlie Haden. The best part is that it makes a recognizable sound of an instrument and not the noise like some other subs I used to have.
Sure, I checked out that song but don't think it's the same "type" of bass if you know what I'm saying lol. Here's a link with exact time, it's about a 20-30 second segment of low bass, let me know how the 7040 performs if you have a chance to. Thank you!

OP
strea

strea

I sound like a broken record but this is something whose importance cannot be overestimated. In many untreated rooms there are one or two horrible peaks in bass frequencies, 10, 15 even 20dB. Fixing those with room correction brings so big difference that all other tweaks seem miniscule in comparision.

The thing is that if you haven't experienced smooth bass response you can take the boomy bass, maybe lowering the sub volume a lot, and you still get something out of the sub. But when you finally apply room correction you will have that aha-moment: this is how it's supposed to sound. And for a short while you might be a little underwhelmed in some songs but after some time you can't ever go back to the boom city.
I certainly plan to get a UMIK-1 and play around with RWE once everything is installed. I enjoy the process of all this, so hopefully I can figure out how to improve the setup along the way. For now the plan is Topping E70, Genelec 8030's, SVS Micro 3000. Will run XLR out to the 8030 from the E70 and RCA out to the Micro 3000 from the E70. Opting for the E70 because it can do XLR + RCA out at same time, Amir's review has it near top of DAC's, and I like the aesthetic for my desk.

bodhi

Forum Donor
Sure, I checked out that song but don't think it's the same "type" of bass if you know what I'm saying lol. Here's a link with exact time, it's about a 20-30 second segment of low bass, let me know how the 7040 performs if you have a chance to. Thank you!

That song has low bass notes indeed. My 8350s missed a bit from the low end and they go about 37Hz flat in my room. I can A/B that easily as the Genelecs are in the same room with my main system with flat response to below 20Hz.

I think there is a realistic possibility that you will still miss some of the rumble and slam with the 7040. Not much by any means but if that is the part you enjoy then it might be a problem.

OP
strea

strea

That song has low bass notes indeed. My 8350s missed a bit from the low end and they go about 37Hz flat in my room. I can A/B that easily as the Genelecs are in the same room with my main system with flat response to below 20Hz.

I think there is a realistic possibility that you will still miss some of the rumble and slam with the 7040. Not much by any means but if that is the part you enjoy then it might be a problem.
Yeah the only place I get low bass that I really enjoy is in the car, a JL 13.5" W7. Obviously there's no substitute for a large ported box and driver size, but the charts show the 3000 Micro extending lower with higher SPL than the 7040, that's why my sights are current set there. I would love to go for something larger, but unfortunately I do not have the room for it below my desk.

Top Bottom