• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel C763L In-ceiling Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 60 50.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 49 40.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These ceiling speaker reviews are interesting, but we just don't know enough about what measurements to aim for....and as they are such an unknown I think they're best to be avoided unless you don't have other options. But it'll be interesting to see what Amir comes up with re some other ceiling speaker measurements along with subjective listening, although I think subjective listening should be done in correct orientation - speaker above and listening subject at correct angled position under the speaker. The reason I think this is important is because HRTF's will be different for different incident angles (above & below subject will be different). Additionally, it might be interesting to add the difference between a "ceiling HRTF" and a "normal horizontal floor HRTF", add that difference to the spinorama to see if it fills in the large dip in the frequency response 1kH-3kHz.

Bartl007

Just to give some real world perspective, here is the c763L as measured in my acoustically treated listening space, spatially averaged over 6 microphone measurement points across 2 seating rows.

The other 3 speakers used for in ceiling atmos show a very similar measurement pattern.

I have no complaints once eq is applied
55E89B4E-0D6D-4F91-9005-498D7FA45D5A.jpeg

D700

Is it 'possible' that a 'popcorn' like ceiling helps disperse the sound? I have heard of this 'subjectively' happening with 'flocking' (like in a jewelry box) applied to the front speaker mounting board facing the room.
Whether it is true or not remains for someone to do with a baffle board and speaker mounted to it. How would a 'flocked' or 'popcorned' baffle board affect the measured sound?
I have never seen any measurements on this done, although I have seen it done (and heard speakers that it has been done to [which subjectively sounded fine to me but I don't know what they would have sounded like to me before that was done]) with 'flocking' on the so called 'monkey coffin' style of speaker.
It is said to have a similar effect as rounding the edges.
Does anyone have any measurements on this?
Wouldn't @amirm 's fancy measuring thingy be valid if speaker were mounted within its expected angle of dispersion at suitable distance from machines microphones? Same kind of thing as measuring response at different heights, except now it would be an angle at a given distance. Surely there's some standard for this?

For that matter, I could cut holes in my ceiling, install a set of height speakers, buy set of towers with height speakers built in, then just do A/B comparison using the height speakers as Stereo Only channels to see which deliver best response. My preference would be for someone else to do it:)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just to give some real world perspective, here is the c763L as measured in my acoustically treated listening space, spatially averaged over 6 microphone measurement points across 2 seating rows.

The other 3 speakers used for in ceiling atmos show a very similar measurement pattern.

I have no complaints once eq is applied
View attachment 265251
That correlates well with my measurements. Your scale is larger vertically which makes the variation smaller but otherwise, we see all the deviations from flat in same spots.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These ceiling speakers are extremely interesting and valuable for those looking for options other than on ceiling speakers. It is a great engineering challenge (flush mount in ceiling, sound good about 45 degrees off axis) rand interesting to see how different brands go about it. A few years ago these are often recommended on AVS but I saw the spinorama and just couldn’t see using them. At the time, went with on ceiling (Revel M55XC) but my ceiling height just couldn’t accommodate them hanging so low. So you look the best ceiling speakers you can find. Testing of these is nearly non existent so all the work on these (building baffle etc) is much appreciated. Look forward to a few more :)

lewdish

I love seeing more of these in-wall/in-ceiling architectural speaker measurements and reviews ~ Its such an underserved place.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My city has banned wood burning for almost a decade. Is it still something common in the rest of the world?
Well that sucks.
I don't need much heat here in FL but lots of friends in the northern US are heating their homes with wood.
A very economical way when you live in rural areas where trees are easy to come by.

ruzun

I have 4 C763L's mounted in the ceiling of my home theater room as Atmos Height Speakers. the front two are slightly in front (maybe 2' or less) of the main listening position front to back, and about 18-24" in from the left and right walls. The front and rear atmos are about 10' from each other in the front to back dimension, and lined up with each other in the left to right dimension. The rear 2 are about 8' behind the main listening position, also 18-24" or so from the left and right walls.

How should I aim the directional 30 degree tweeters to best use these as Atmos height speakers? They are already in place so I don't want to replace them, I wish I had bought the KEF's but now I have these.

Can someone explain to me in relatively simple terms how I should point those angled tweeters to best make use of these as Atmos height speakers? Do I point those 3 angled drivers as much as possible directly at the main seating position?

-Roger

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Do I point those 3 angled drivers as much as possible directly at the main seating position?
In short, yes. Since you already have them mounted and don't want to
start over, just focus them as best as possible at the MLP. If for any reason
they should then sound a bit too bright to you, turn them off axis 5-10 degrees.

ruzun

In short, yes. Since you already have them mounted and don't want to
start over, just focus them as best as possible at the MLP. If for any reason
they should then sound a bit too bright to you, turn them off axis 5-10 degrees.
OK thanks. I have an Anthem AVM70 8k AV processor and looking at the ARC Genesis curves I think they are being set to the correct levels and the corrected curve looks ok. I will double check how that 3 speaker angled array is facing and point it as much as possible towards the MLP.

Maybe I will replace these in a year or two with the KEF's or perhaps some new in-ceiling speakers that come out.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Maybe I will replace these in a year or two with the KEF's or perhaps some new in-ceiling speakers that come out.
You didn't mention what your base speakers are. If they are also Revel's it might be very hard to improve
the sound thinking strictly from a timbre matching perspective. I'm sure the C763L's are quite good sounding
choices as is. Take the time to live with them for a bit and maybe try a few more choices of the ARC tuning.
Does ARC allow you to disable any FR changes above the 200hz range in the Atmos speakers? If so, that might
be also something you might try, listening for any improvement in the focus of some good 3D atmos recordings
and choosing the one that sounds best (most tightly focused) to you.
You've got some very nice Atmos speakers there, probably better than mine. Take the time to get them tuned the best you can before
throwing any more money into the speakers.

ruzun

My current base speakers are all Revels. Performa S30 surrounds, Ultima Voice center, and Ultima Salon Fronts. I am replacing them with Perlisten S7t fronts, S7c Center and S4s Surrounds soon. I have been using these in-ceiling atmos speakers since 2016, and the other speakers since 2005.

I am planning on keeping these Atmos speakers even after I get the Perlistens sometime in August. Maybe in a year or two I can get new atmos but for now I just have to use these as best I can.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My current base speakers are all Revels. Performa S30 surrounds, Ultima Voice center, and Ultima Salon Fronts. I am replacing them with Perlisten S7t fronts, S7c Center and S4s Surrounds soon. I have been using these in-ceiling atmos speakers since 2016, and the other speakers since 2005.
Wow. Nice stuff!
If your thinking about throwing those old - worn out speakers out, let me know,
I'll come pick them up and get them out of the way for you. ;)

Top Bottom