• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best sounding closed-back headphone $500-$1,000 for a non-audiophile?

PRL18

Hello,

I'm hoping I can get some help on choosing a nice pair of headphones.

First the disclosure: I'm not even close to being an audiophile. I hardly understand some terms as tight, controlled, fast response, muddy, decay, imaging, DAC, etc. without researching online. My best pair of earphones is a 1MORE Quad Driver In-Ear (there, I said it).

I wanted to buy a pair of wireless headphones that sounded amazing below $1,000. I almost went for the Focal Bathys until I read the Noise Canceling is always on and changing the battery will cost $200 once it dies. Now, I understand a wireless headphone will never sound as good as a wired one, or so I believe. Therefore, I changed my mind.

What I'm up to / looking for:
  • I enjoy mostly jazz, classical and pop music
  • Closed-back headphones, to avoid being annoyed by external noise or annoy others myself
  • Comfortable
  • Enjoy bass but no overpowering
  • Can be plugged directly to a phone (iphone 11) or computer (apple mac pro 2015) without the need of any intermediate apparatus (DAC or whatever), unless a miniature DAC exists that is both good and inexpensive
  • Ideally up to $500 but I'm willing to go up to $1,000 if there was a huge difference in sound quality
  • And the most important: The best possible sound within my above price range, including detail, soundstage and as many of the best qualities as possible

Is there a pair of headphones that you would recommend to a non-audiophile that just wants to listen to the best possible sound without getting into the rabbit hole to learn everything about it?

I guess a more tricky question would be if there is such a thing as an indisputable winner in these categories (up to $500 & up to $1,000) that audiophiles agree on?

Thanks!!!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here are some good closed-backs in your price range:

-HI-X60
-Aeon Closed X
-Aeon 2 Noire
-Focal Radiance Celestee (I mixed up the models. Radiance too expensive.)
-LCD-2 Closed

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thank you for the advice! I'll check them all
You can find the frequency response of all of them here.

The HI-X60, Audeze, and Celestee are easy to drive. The Aeons not so much.

The Noire has an ingenious, folding hinge mechanism and packs down extremely compact. Would be my choice for traveling.

Miniature DAC with lots of power for the Aeons: E1DA 9038S

OP
P

PRL18

The Noire has an ingenious, folding hinge mechanism and packs down extremely compact. Would be my choice for traveling.

Hey, thanks again! I just checked what drive a headphone meant and haven't yet looked at frequency response. I wasn't kidding when I said I was not an audiophile :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Just measured/reviewed the AA Hi-X60

Incredible sub-bass extension down to 3Hz:
fr-hi-x60-3hz.png

A bit (too) 'hot' in the upper-mids/lower treble (is easy to fix) and not bassy/warm but quite 'neutral'.
Just under the $ 500.- range (€ 350.- at Thomann for EU)

Last edited:

jae

Major Contributor
Drop + Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X $420-500
Dan Clark Audio Aeon Noire $800-900

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Denon AX-D5200 and try to catch them on discount. Insist on trying them first (if possible).
Read the "discussion" or better say see measurements with different pads.

bkdc

Forum Donor
The big hang-up is the part where you don’t need a headphone amp. But many small dongles can drive all but the most power-hungry headphones.

Monoprice M1570c - needs a little power but not crazy power.
Can sometimes be had for under $400 on sale.
A $200 mod (replace the entire headband with Audeze LCD headband, yoke rod, and yoke replacement kit) will make it very comfortable.

I agree with the above suggestion of Audeze LCD-2 which is lovely and easy to drive. I’d rather have the above modded phone which would sound superior but is definitely not very portable as it sounds like you might be looking for something that could be stored compact.

Or I’d buy the Monoprice M1070c and spend another 200 bucks on a dongle or small DAC/amp… although a M1570c on sale is almost the same price if you can catch one.

Another closed back option is a headphone which has dropped drastically in price since it was released - the Focal Elegia. It punches well above its price especially if you replace the cushions. It’s also easy to drive — 35ohm impedance with 105dB sensitivity. It doesn’t get much easier to drive. Many prefer the Elegia over the Celestee after installing a Dekoni perforated sheepskin cushion. If you were considering the Bathys, then you’ll like the appearance of the Elegia.

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Drop + Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X $420-500
Dan Clark Audio Aeon Noire $800-900

I second this.

And I wouldn't get headphones again with a headband like Focal uses (sold my focal elegia with dekoni sheepskin pads).

And avoid the quality control mess that Hifiman is.

paudio

The AA Hi-X60 also folds down just as small. Doesn't fold as nicely but the cups and pads are a lot smaller so it ends up pretty close. They are probably my favorite as they are easy to drive, comfortable and have great bass extension. DCA Aeon Noire might come out on top but mine are getting repaired. Maybe they'll take top spot.

oleg87

I haven't bought one for myself but I was pretty impressed with the LCD-2 closed. I didn't audition it with my own source gear but it shouldn't be too demanding of source equipment, if the official specs are accurate.

ThatGuyYouKnow

Headphones are like eyeglasses. Just because a pair is great for one user doesn't mean they are for another. Use what you like and enjoy them, and above all, don't listen to what anyone tells you what is good for YOU!
So true. I should note that I am NOT a fan of many beloved headphones that measure flattish, including the Sennheiser 600 series stuff. The OP mentioned that soundstage is important, and I haven't heard a pair of closed headphones with a more expansive sound than the T5 3rd gen. Whether its symphonic, rock or pop, everything just sounds extremely pleasing to my ears with no fatigue.

Reactions: GPJ

paudio

T5 3rd gen has a big bass hump on that graph. Depending on what I am listening to I may enjoy it. I like my Meze 99s but I definitely don't prefer them over something else with a more balanced sub/bass/mid bass. Can do with some thick mid bass on some metal and some EDM but for the latter the subbass would probably feel a bit lacking.

A lot of headphones and IEMs are too hot for my hearing. I feel like a lot of the luxury cans are made for people with hearing loss in higher frequencies.

One might like the T3 even more EQ'd or may like another can more than the T3. Doesn't mean that someone can't like the T3. Someone may enjoy the tuning though I've found that with exciting or interesting tunings don't usually translate well to diverse material and end up leaving me disappointed when something sounds kind of terrible.

OP
P

PRL18

Thanks everybody for the comments!

I decided to try the Focal Elegia first. I haven't experienced other good headphones so I don't have much to compare to. It seems that buying the dekoni sheepskin pads is a must for the Elegia. Mostly everybody seems to recommend them. Although I read a few comments where they prefer the original pads. For what I understand, they improve the sound quality, bass, etc.

I haven't learned how to read the graphs yet, so I still don't understand them.

Truth is I wanted to get a pair of very good headphones without having to learn all technicalities, but I had to read tons of reviews and comments to compare :)

Would an DAC/amp improve the sound or just allow more volume on the Elegia? What am I loosing without it?

Thanks again!

OP
P

PRL18

I second this.

And I wouldn't get headphones again with a headband like Focal uses (sold my focal elegia with dekoni sheepskin pads).

And avoid the quality control mess that Hifiman is.
Hey,

What exactly didn't you like? They are not comfortable? Not durable? The sound?

Top Bottom