• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD 660S2

Fregly

Well these came up for preorder on Amazon Canada and I couldn't help myself and ordered them. Discounted from the $600usd apparent set release price, so that pushed me over.

spigot

You should just be able to buy the capsules and plug them into any of the older models as soon as they make spares available. If you're a cheapskate like me.

Reactions: LaL

threni

Major Contributor
Can't wait for measurements to come out. I love my 660s and are by far my favorites headphones. I can wear glasses with them and bass remains the same. Can't say the same with my DCA AEON 2 Noires which I sold because bass drops drastically when wearing glasses.
Same here. I use mine every day; takes EQ well and I have no trouble getting enough bass, nor do I hear any distortion. Maybe it's the sort you can't hear. People said they were expensive; dunno, I paid about £330 for them over 3 years ago - seemed ok to me. $600 (=£600, essentially) sounds a bit steep to me for these ones, though if they're essentially the same. (According to Amazon the manufacturer is Sonova....presumably as in "Sonovabitch those are expensive headphones!)

Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Available for pre order from Headphones.com and Amazon US

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Agree. I’m going to try them but I’m going to wait until they are on sale. I got my 660s for $265 from Amazon so paying $599 for the S2s seems kinda crazy…

poxymoron

Agree. I’m going to try them but I’m going to wait until they are on sale. I got my 660s for $265 from Amazon so paying $599 for the S2s seems kinda crazy…
Might be a while before we see any deals on these, unless they don't shift as many units as planned.

asrUser

The pricing is too much. I think they saw how much money people were willing to spend on headphones on reddit and priced accordingly.
Sennheiser just wants to cash cow their models instead of developing new headphones.

xeizo

Yes, way too expensive, glad I have the HD600 since many years back. I like it, and according to headphones.com so are the differences not that big compared to the new HD660S2. They play in the same ballpark sound wise.

I always preferred the HD600 to the HD650, for my taste the HD650 has too meaty midrange, the HD600 has more air/open sounding.

gallionetech

Ordered, agree price is pretty crazy considering you can get a pair of HD6XX for under $250 from Drop. However I was planning on getting a pair of 600s anyway, so just figured I’d go for these.

@Resolve posted measurements from the headphones.com 5128 rig along with some brief written impressions:

Sennheiser HD 660S2 5128 V2.jpg

Compared to an HD600 with fresh pads:

Sennheiser HD 660 S2 vs HD 600 Comp 5128.jpg

As someone looking to consolidate their over-ear headphone collection, I was hoping for a super HD560S, not a darker HD650/HD6XX.

OP
Takanaka

Takanaka

Forum Donor
Any of you going to leave your impressions or...? Headfi really intolerable at this point...
I received mine today, but I'm not home until tonight. Will post some subjective impressions later this week as well as some comparisons to the NDH 30 and HD800S while I still have them lying around.

I had a HD 650 years ago but I remember it being pleasing and mid-forward but not very exciting or detailed and sounded a bit claustrophobic, bass performance was also nothing to write home about. I think it was a 2015/2016 copy but Sennheiser might've snuck in a revision every now and then so I'm not sure how a 2022/2023, Ireland made copy would sound.

Fregly

I cancelled my preorder after the Dms and Resolve reviews. Andrew especially has a rational, reliable take. The trough in the high mids is a problem. I know eq an option for many, but why is it so hard for manufacturers of headphones to produce a smooth response without any peaks or troughs or weirdness? We have many speaker makers able to manage this. Headphones are still stuck in a primitive era it seems.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I cancelled my preorder after the Dms and Resolve reviews. Andrew especially has a rational, reliable take. The trough in the high mids is a problem. I know eq an option for many, but why is it so hard for manufacturers of headphones to produce a smooth response without any peaks or troughs or weirdness? We have many speaker makers able to manage this. Headphones are still stuck in a primitive era it seems.
I think design-wise headphones have a harder time controlling the chamber and eliminating deviations caused by that. Furthermore, I don't think "flat is good" or "harman is good" or whatever is applied in the headphones market. That means there's no requirement for headphones to have a certain FR, which is understandable to me.

98bpm

Hello. I’m hoping it’s ok to post here, seeing that I just registered to the forum after doing a Google search on the Sennheiser HD 660 S2. Disclaimer, I’m not and audiofile and am new to the lingo and technicalities of HiFi audio equipment. So please bear with me.

I find myself here as an older adult who is taking a basic audio mixing course, and part of the coursework is mixing with headphones. I started looking into purchasing an open back headphone and came across a website that lists several makes/models of headphones along with plots and reviews. With my hearing as it is today, I decided to give the HD 660s a try based on the plots, reviews and price. Then I learned there’s a newer 660 S2 that just came out. So now I’m trying to get some guidance from those who know.

I considered getting a DAC and headphone amp, seeing that the 660 S2 is 300 ohms and I discovered a brand called Topping that makes some decently priced gear and some good reviews. So here’s my noob questions:

1. The HD 660 S2 has a small balanced cable and a larger unbalanced cable. Does it matter if I use either or is one preferred over the other?
  2. Does anyone know if the cables that come with the headphones sound boomy when you touch them?

OP
Takanaka

Takanaka

Forum Donor
Hello. I’m hoping it’s ok to post here, seeing that I just registered to the forum after doing a Google search on the Sennheiser HD 660 S2. Disclaimer, I’m not and audiofile and am new to the lingo and technicalities of HiFi audio equipment. So please bear with me.

I find myself here as an older adult who is taking a basic audio mixing course, and part of the coursework is mixing with headphones. I started looking into purchasing an open back headphone and came across a website that lists several makes/models of headphones along with plots and reviews. With my hearing as it is today, I decided to give the HD 660s a try based on the plots, reviews and price. Then I learned there’s a newer 660 S2 that just came out. So now I’m trying to get some guidance from those who know.

I considered getting a DAC and headphone amp, seeing that the 660 S2 is 300 ohms and I discovered a brand called Topping that makes some decently priced gear and some good reviews. So here’s my noob questions:

1. The HD 660 S2 has a small balanced cable and a larger unbalanced cable. Does it matter if I use either or is one preferred over the other?
  2. Does anyone know if the cables that come with the headphones sound boomy when you touch them?
Cable is not boomy or rather microphonic, very silent, relatively flexible and light as well. Especially compared to the thick chungus you get with the HD800S.

6.3mm vs 4.4 Pentaconn jack doesn’t really matter all that much. 4.4mm is supposedly the future however there’s still a lack of amps that have it.

4.4mm is balanced which theoretically rejects electromagnetic interference better and can deliver a bit more juice as well so less gain is needed. All in all rather insignificant.

Last edited:

98bpm

Cable is not boomy or rather microphonic, very silent, relatively flexible and light as well. Especially compared to the thick chungus you get with the HD800S.

6.3mm vs 4.4 Pentaconn jack doesn’t really matter all that much. 4.4mm is supposedly the future however there’s still a lack of amps that have it.

4.4mm is balanced which theoretically rejects electromagnetic interference better and can deliver a bit more juice as well so less gain is needed. All in all rather insignificant.
Thanks for the feedback. I just read something somewhere about balanced vs unbalanced that stated the TRS jack is wired in a way that the negative lead is shared between both drivers and produces distortion (I’m paraphrasing) and balanced don’t have that wiring method and thus, no distortion. If true, is it noticeable?

Top Bottom