• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

or965

It sounds like a noisy pot.
Coming from a schiit fulla 2 , I know what noisy pot soundlike and Yes it really seems to be the case ! Haha. Schiit .... ...
If it has noisy pot, I should hear noise while adjusting the knob even if there is no music playing, also the noise completely disappear when I stop adjusting the knob .
Is there a option to fix it ?

Veri

Master Contributor
If it has noisy pot, I should hear noise while adjusting the knob even if there is no music playing

I'm not sure, I used to own an Emotiva A-100 which had monstrous strength and was quite noisy. It only had the noise pot problem when there was in fact a source connected. I think it might have to do with voltage fluctuation too. like JDS answered, something something DC offset. Idk how/what exactly though sorry, but if others don't have the same problem it's likely a defect of course.

NemoReborn

If it has noisy pot, I should hear noise while adjusting the knob even if there is no music playing, also the noise completely disappear when I stop adjusting the knob .
Is there a option to fix it ?

Well the fulla was making crazy noise only when i was moving the pot also .. totaly silent if not moved ... but mine screaming even if no music playing

or965

@NemoReborn I read on the internet that if you move the knob for couple of minutes it can fix a noisy pot temporary, so I tried it and it got a better but after couple of hours it return to make noise, maybe it really noisy pot. Also topping reply to my email and said that the DC offset is less then 4mV , like I thought as this issue happen with different DACs and even without one connected .

NemoReborn

@NemoReborn I read on the internet that if you move the knob for couple of minutes it can fix a noisy pot temporary, so I tried it and it got a better but after couple of hours it return to make noise, maybe it really noisy pot. Also topping reply to my email and said that the DC offset is less then 4mV , like I thought as this issue happen with different DACs and even without one connected .

Agree. I had to spin it a few time and the noise would desapear... but not a concern anymore cause that peice of schiit is in the garbage now ...

Reyer

I live in EU and I think about getting the Atom. With shipping cost price rises up to $137 and from that price I would have to pay additional 23% for custom fees (total price = 168.5 US$).
If I decide to remove the "free" power adapter from the cart, shipping cost goes down and makes the total = $151.29.

How important is their power adapter when it comes to the audio quality? I own few cheaper brands with similar parameters and they would save me some money... however I don't want to sacrifice amp performance just to save a few bucks.

NemoReborn

I live in EU and I think about getting the Atom. With shipping cost price rises up to $137 and from that price I would have to pay additional 23% for custom fees (total price = 168.5 US$).
If I decide to remove the "free" power adapter from the cart, shipping cost goes down and makes the total = $151.29.

How important is their power adapter when it comes to the audio quality? I own few cheaper brands with similar parameters and they would save me some money... however I don't want to sacrifice amp performance just to save a few bucks.

Idk but I can tell this power supply is big bd heavy ! Really feel like good quality

Reyer

I've also got an official answer from the JDS If they're going to distribute their Atom supply to more than the current two retailers in EU and unfortunately the answer is "No".

nyquist

Just wanted to drop in to say thanks, as this thread helped me decide to buy an Atom. This is my office setup, together with an SDAC and M40x.

Attachments

• dac-amp.jpg
    dac-amp.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,054

NemoReborn

Just wanted to drop in to say thanks, as this thread helped me decide to buy an Atom. This is my office setup, together with an SDAC and M40x.

Why is your pot this color?? And where did u get that nce looking stand?

nyquist

I machined the brass knob as I didn't like the size and feel of the plastic one.
Made the stand today, just laser cut some acrylic and re-used some spikes I had from an old hifi rack.

I'm feeling the need to change the face plate on the SDAC now :)

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I machined the brass knob as I didn't like the size and feel of the plastic one.
Made the stand today, just laser cut some acrylic and re-used some spikes I had from an old hifi rack.

Nice work there!

Would it be possible for you to put a ruler to the Atom's case and help me with the overall case: Length x Breadth dimensions ? Just the main box, excluding any pieces that jut out ? (No need for height though).

Thanks in advance! :)

NemoReborn

Craft one knob for me ! Ill buy it. Gimme your price

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just received my Atom in the post today.
Connected to a random 25$ DVD player in RCA and driving my Magnat 980 LZR.
It is dead silent, and already loud enough at 1/3 of the total volume in low output mode.

Very recommended in this configuration.

I'll try it with the Topping D10 & some DSD files later, should be even better.

kprog

Is it normal that with my Atom and DT990pro 250 ohm I can listen to this video at maximum power at maximum gain? it is heard loudly, but it could hold some more volume.

My DAC has 1.75Vrms, can it be voltage failure?

Enjoy the video ... audio hehe

GoMrPickles

Forum Donor
The included power supply came in its own box and is nearly as big as the Atom itself. I don't think you or anyone would need to replace it. It's a beefy piece, 16 V.

Top Bottom