• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Chiv

caguilar91

Tried it! I used the installation guide here https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/index.php?controller=attachment&id_attachment=951

There are grooves / teeth on the top and bottom panels that fit into each other. One side is say female and one side is male. If I flipped it, I'd be trying to fit 2 males which doesn't work

the tone board itself can only go on the bottom panel in one way

Such a bummer :(

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is this a joke?? Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow.
Reach out to them on Facebook, they respond very quickly there.

gvl

Major Contributor
Drill 2 holes on the bottom plate symmetric to the ones that are already there, easy peasy. You can mount the back plate on the other side and use holes in the PCB as guides to mark the new drilling centers.

alashikata

I can confirm that the official does show 32 bit. You need to update the windows 10. My other computers didn't update for over 3 years so it shows 24 bit only.

DSD_07.png

mikoy

I really want this audiophonics case but the shipping costs more for Canada! Will wait for other options or maybe I'll just suck it up and pay.

Total products 12,42 €
Total shipping 23,42 €
TOTAL 35,84 €

Last edited:

ngs428

I really want this audiophonics case but the shipping costs more for Canada! Will wait for other options or maybe I'll just suck it up and pay.

Total products 12,42 €
Total shipping 23,42 €
TOTAL 35,84 €

I went with the DIY case in my first link. Was $19 USD shipped.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
The schematic makes more sense when it's drawn out and not split to pieces. The official schematic is "a professional view" and one has to follow the singal markings.

Sorry for the crudeness, but here is my quick redraw of it with only the interesting components marked (and signal names to match the official schematic) but you can trace it out on the official schematic to see the resistor/capacitor values.

BYgV885.png

Thanks @Marvin it's just I don't see it this way in the schematic, also it does makes lot of sense what you draw here, with RT6863 as output buffer. What puzzles me on the original schematic is the OUT_R and OUT_L being connected directly to the output pins of the RT6862.

Marvin

I can't make it more clear so I drew a new picture what RED markings mean on the schematic. They are "BUS" or "SIGNAL" markings and mean a single connections. Here is how it looks on the official schematic:
97XVHvH.png

EDIT: I thought how to visualise it even another way. Here is how it looks on a more traditional schematic where connections are always split and marked, I left the left channel unmodified to show the difference even better:
FrEijA4.png

Last edited:

Aibo

Sorry to see you got markings backwards. I'm actually thinking going with something like this. Seller is offering everything needed to customize it to our needs:

Length: can be changed to any length
Color: Can be oxidated to any color
Drilling Hole: holes on the plates,hole milling,holes on the body,according to your drawing
Printing: Silk screen printing or Laser typing according to your drawing.

I'll ask about the final price with holes on the plates... and if it's reasonable I'll probably try going with it in black color.

filipe73

Mini-Poll. I know the man showed us the graphs.... But does anyone else think the TB is shrill at times? Listening through JDS Labs Atom/HD6XX I can barely handle some tracks. It is very clean, but ear drum piercing at the same time. Speaking of the ESS sound signature... Or is it just bad mastering?
Hi

My impression with TB is somewhat similar to the experience with a Amptastic t-amp mini amplifier. Very clean and equilibrated at moderatly levels of listening, with a clearly different sound signature, but a litlle bright at higher volume levels. It is also on the lightweight side. This is difficult to explain, it can reproduce really low and extended frequencies but it lacks slam or raw power. Love the transparency though. Some songs from Cure, which are full of high frequencies sound beautiful, almost liquid in a sense..

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Thanks @Marvin I was totally missing the R-R+ and L-/L+ from my eyesight.

Nango

Major Contributor
Hi

My impression with TB is somewhat similar to the experience with a Amptastic t-amp mini amplifier. Very clean and equilibrated at moderatly levels of listening, with a clearly different sound signature, but a litlle bright at higher volume levels. It is also on the lightweight side. This is difficult to explain, it can reproduce really low and extended frequencies but it lacks slam or raw power. Love the transparency though. Some songs from Cure, which are full of high frequencies sound beautiful, almost liquid in a sense..
The Cure, ..... which songs?

drewfIr

Sorry to see you got markings backwards. I'm actually thinking going with something like this. Seller is offering everything needed to customize it to our needs:

Length: can be changed to any length
Color: Can be oxidated to any color
Drilling Hole: holes on the plates,hole milling,holes on the body,according to your drawing
Printing: Silk screen printing or Laser typing according to your drawing.

I'll ask about the final price with holes on the plates... and if it's reasonable I'll probably try going with it in black color.

Would interested in this as well. Do you have the Generic version or the VIMs
version?

mikoy

does anyone know if there is software code for the oled connector? will it work if you attach an oled screen and if so which one to buy?

10-Pin 0.5mm Pitch: for OLED Display
--------------------------------------------
1-TONE_5V
2-TONE_5V
3-OLED_SCL
4-OLED_SDA
5-GND
6-
7-OLED_RST
8-OLED_PWREN
9-
10-GND

40 pin GPIO for OLED
--------------------------
22-OLED_SCL
23-OLED_SDA
24-GND
27-VCC_3V3
35-OLED_RST
37-OLED_PWREN

0.96 inch IIC Serial White OLED (Will give this a try using GPIO pin 22,23,24,27)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/0-9...D1306-12864-LCD-Screen-Board/32896971385.html

Last edited:

Monte

Add my thanks to Marvin for the photo. I saw the summer IC, pulled up the schematics and there it was. No wonder the (not totally read) schematic wasn't making sense. I'm not familiar with DAC circuits, so I also must ask, is it normal for the U15/U17 opamps to be biased with such an offset?

Top Bottom