• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Smsl Su-9n Dac paired with Monolith THX 887

Jrez1090

Okay so I’m still newish to the audiophile scene here but I’ve but learning as I go. My journey right now has me with hifiman HE6SE V2 headphones and a monolith thx 887 amp. I’m looking for an amp that supports bluetooth and has a remote so I did some research and I like the smsl su-9n. I know that typically (I believe) the volume is controlled on the amp when you have a dac amp combo. However, I am trying to use the Smsl su-9 to control the volume. Is that possible and does that affect anything at all performance wise? I honestly do not know the answer to this. So id like some clarification and also any other dac suggestions that have some nice bass impact and warmth but still stay pretty natural?

neg

However, I am trying to use the Smsl su-9 to control the volume. Is that possible and does that affect anything at all performance wise?
Usually if you have some good attenuator like r2r for your amplifier it's subjectively the better choice. But of you have alps for your amp it is not so straightforward. "Attenuator" on the dac usually leads to loose of dynamic range.

I honestly do not know the answer to this. So id like some clarification and also any other dac suggestions that have some nice bass impact and warmth but still stay pretty natural?
The DAC itself usually does not ruin the bass response or transient response. What can really do ruin this is the headphones. I have very similar setup(smsl sp400+su9pro) and transient response is great with dan clark expanse. Maybe if you feel bass deficient you should try to listen another headphones first.

OP
J

Jrez1090

Usually if you have some good attenuator like r2r for your amplifier it's subjectively the better choice. But of you have alps for your amp it is not so straightforward. "Attenuator" on the dac usually leads to loose of dynamic range.

The DAC itself usually does not ruin the bass response or transient response. What can really do ruin this is the headphones. I have very similar setup(smsl sp400+su9pro) and transient response is great with dan clark expanse. Maybe if you feel bass deficient you should try to listen another headphones first.
So would I have any issue if I control the volume from the smsl u-9n? Will it hurt the head phone or sound quality.

Top Bottom