• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

marcom22

But surely you must have owned a few home entertainment remote controls out of the countless ones that popped up during the past half century. How do they compare? Did they have to be aimed accurately, from the correct angle, at an outstretched arm to minimise distance?
A90d like replacement for the Pre90, how do you see it?
Obviously for new buy

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
A90d like replacement for the Pre90, how do you see it?
Obviously for new buy

My only experience with Topping remote controls are from the D50, D90 and E30. All of these DACs use the same remote. From what I gather, the A90 and Pre90 use a similar model as well. I notice that Topping have a different style of remote control for sale as an optional extra, with metal housing, different battery, etc. I’m yet to hear first-hand accounts on how this model compares to the standard ones.

marcom22

My only experience with Topping remote controls are from the D50, D90 and E30. All of these DACs use the same remote. From what I gather, the A90 and Pre90 use a similar model as well. I notice that Topping have a different style of remote control for sale as an optional extra, with metal housing, different battery, etc. I’m yet to hear first-hand accounts on how this model compares to the standard ones.
A90 same as Pre90, but not the A90discrete

amper42

Major Contributor

I bought the Topping metal remote. It has the same directional problems as the plastic remote that comes with the D90SE. Plus, if you lose the tiny, tiny Allen wrench you can no longer open the battery compartment. It was a waste of money.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
can someone explain this? I found out same thing with E30 II (detailed explained on e30 II topic). There was audible difference E30 working in DAC and preamp modes
When you attenuate only the digital signal, the noise floor remains the same. When you attenuate with analog, both signal and noise floor are attenuated.
One can argue that to a low enough noise floor this is no issue, but still.

iLoveCats

The metal remote only works on the DAC's. The Pre90 is a different remote. I have that metal remote for my EX5 and it also works on my D90SE. Its a way nicer feeling remote, same performance. I even tried to swap the Pre90 remote guts to the metal remote but its completely different.

glc650

I bought the Topping metal remote. It has the same directional problems as the plastic remote that comes with the D90SE. Plus, if you lose the tiny, tiny Allen wrench you can no longer open the battery compartment. It was a waste of money.
That's because the IR receiver on the unit is the issue, not the remote. I didn't even use the stock remote when I had a D90SE (or D90 non-MQA). I used my Harmony hub based remote instead. Not only did I have to use IR extenders with my Harmony hub but I had to tape them right over the IR receiver to ensure the DAC would always respond.

iLoveCats

That's because the IR receiver on the unit is the issue, not the remote. I didn't even use the stock remote when I had a D90SE (or D90 non-MQA). I used my Harmony hub based remote instead. Not only did I have to use IR extenders with my Harmony hub but I had to tape them right over the IR receiver to ensure the DAC would always respond.
Yes I'm doing the same with the IR extender, that's the only solution for function. The quality of the included remote is still trash. In your hand it feels like a pile junk.

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If people find the remote such an issue just buy the Benchmark LA4.

It's only $ 2900 and I'm sure the remote is far superior.

dped90

It could also have a solid milled Aluminium chassis and colour OLED screen.

As for the remote being 'terrible' it is far superior to my previous preamp, which had no remote.

There are plenty of preamps available which have a 'better' remote for £ 2/4 K , they might not measure/sound as good but hey the remote is superb.
The choice is yours.
Here's a sad example of $4K (albeit two channel only) preamp, which superbly compares with > $6K Levinson preamp, but is stuck with a poorly designed remote.
https://www.stereophile.com/solidpreamps/308para/index.html What were they thinking?

dped90

But surely you must have owned a few home entertainment remote controls out of the countless ones that popped up during the past half century. How do they compare? Did they have to be aimed accurately, from the correct angle, at an outstretched arm to minimise distance?
The only thing I ever really hated about the remotes for my JVC XV-NA70BK and Pioneer Elite LX500 DVD and BD players was that, unlike that for my Oppo 95 player neither had analog output voltage and mute control. And the JVC remote was the most ergonomically perfect player remote ever. I wish someone would design a remote based on it for JRiver and VLC player-especially for their zoom and slow motion features. But to stick the otherwise wonderful Topping preamp with that junky remote was as thoughtless as what Oppo did with the zoom control for all their otherwise kickass BD players; unlike my JVC and Pioneer players, after you zoom on the image there's no up/down and sideways buttons for centering the image on the screen!

iLoveCats

If people find the remote such an issue just buy the Benchmark LA4.

It's only $ 2900 and I'm sure the remote is far superior.
Oh no that Benchmark remote looks terrible too . I have an emotiva XDA-2 DAC that has the coolest aluminum remote/weapon I've ever had and it's probably the only reason I keep the DAC around.

Attachments

• lnib_emotiva_xda2_usb_dacdigital_preampheadphone_amp_1522976321_1a26f478.jpg
    lnib_emotiva_xda2_usb_dacdigital_preampheadphone_amp_1522976321_1a26f478.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 54

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I don’t mind the Topping remote per se. It feels fine in my hand and it doesn’t have to do anything other than adjust the volume. At least after the initial setup is done. It’s just that it doesn’t do that very well. Not only do I have to point it carefully, I also have to squint and try to read the display, so I can check how many of my button presses actually registered. My TV remote, in contrast, can be pointed just about anywhere and always works. I just want to be able to go up 3dB by pressing + 6 times and not having to double-check. That’s all.

dtaylo1066

My Emotiva DAC remotes have always been built like tanks and worked well from all distances and most angles. Pain in the ass to change the battery. My older Apple TV remote sucks in terms of ergonomics.

marcom22

Question .... sorry if it's stupid but for you the Pre90 has a supersonic filter built-in?
Becasue I have some very great vinyl rip but some of them cause me big excursion to my woofers during the reproduction of this rip in flac format.

misterdog

Job for your phono stage that, or digital converter.

Though I found that reducing distortion on the pre and amp (Benchmark AHB2 ) removed bass distortion/cone excursion.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Question .... sorry if it's stupid but for you the Pre90 has a supersonic filter built-in?
Becasue I have some very great vinyl rip but some of them cause me big excursion to my woofers during the reproduction of this rip in flac format.
It has no filters. FWIW, you are asking for a subsonic filter to eliminate those big excursions that come with your vinyl rips.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh no that Benchmark remote looks terrible too . I have an emotiva XDA-2 DAC that has the coolest aluminum remote/weapon I've ever had and it's probably the only reason I keep the DAC around.

The Marantz PM-10 and SA-10 remotes (which go back to the PM-11s2 era) are some of the nicest remotes out there. Hefty aluminum with great tactile feel. The front is metal and the rear is plastic. They are nicer than the Classé remotes.

What’s sort of frustrating is that replacement remotes are only $60-70 or so. It’s not a particularly expensive remote in the grand of scheme of things and it feels appropriate for a $9000 product! Imagine if they offered a version of this remote as an accessory across the board!
1676148628018.png

marcom22

It has no filters. FWIW, you are asking for a subsonic filter to eliminate those big excursions that come with your vinyl rips.
Yes but after a lot of analysis i understand that the problem is the source on vinyl rip: cartdridge and pre-phono.
Thanks for your kindly interest

Top Bottom