• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R Meta Series Release

Streamc

The R Series towers already had poor bass extension despite it’s rigid and heavy cabinet and size. If an audible improvement js what should have aimed I guess, this would have been something which could have been improved. But I understand that would just make it dangerously close to the references!
What you mean by bass extension? Bass on this speaker is totally fantastic. From 60Hz it is linear on FR. What else you need?
You can't find better for that price.
Great measurements and great bass sound. They even keep bass driver.
If you need 40Hz buy reference or another speaker.
Answer specific not in common terms. Where is so called problem with bass extension?

Last edited:

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Going to be cheeky here and suggest getting the wharfedale Linton for $1700 new including stands. I sold me R3s in favor of them

No meta and other fancy technology. But they sound great. But they are big!

Streamc

Going to be cheeky here and suggest getting the wharfedale Linton for $1700 new including stands. I sold me R3s in favor of them

Also not ideal. But nothing against them.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
So if you eq the r7 you can get the r7 meta probably.
You can get something close to the reference sound rather than the metas, the metas sound different by it's dispersion change... it's wider, something that many dislike about the R series, now the R metas maybe has wider dispersion like the Reference Meta series. We don't know yet.

The R series are really easy to EQ if you have some training doing EQ by ears, but they don't sound out of the box like the Reference 3.

My friend has the Ref3 and I have the R7, the R7 sounds clearly darker in the very top end and kind of brighter in the upper mid range, something like that. Also the bass is stronger in the Ref3, it clearly has more energy from the port and needs bigger room vs the R7 which can be used close to the wall

Both speakers extend quite similar, but my room is a lot smaller than his room. But we both got a +0dB 30hz.

dogmamann

Might well be, but reviewer is claiming he was skeptical about KEFs claims and was very surprised might indicate there more to this speaker that we can judge based on spec sheet at the moment. Might well be this price will be worth paying for. Might. Need to hear it to believe it
no.1 thing you learn from this forum is all those jibber jabber even from the manufacturer is BS.

oceansize

Forum Donor
Might well be, but reviewer is claiming he was skeptical about KEFs claims and was very surprised might indicate there more to this speaker that we can judge based on spec sheet at the moment. Might well be this price will be worth paying for. Might. Need to hear it to believe it
I was skeptical about this miracle weight loss powder, but I've managed to lose 32lbs! Do you want to buy some?

Reactions: GDK

ThELiZ

The Linton is the speaker I’ve had for the longest length in time in… Forever! The speaker I had before them were KEF Reference 3. Those speakers were magical, but I needed the money. I then found the Linton and have been perfectly happy with them.

Apparently, Wharfedale have a new speaker being shown at Bristol hifi show at the end of the month. I’ll be going and can hopefully get to listen to the new R Meta line up. If the R7 can get close to the Reference 3 that I heard before, maybe one day I’ll pick them up…

Streamc

I was skeptical about this miracle weight loss powder, but I've managed to lose 32lbs! Do you want to buy some?
Don't get the way of irony. Understood that it is irony but in what way.
I think you accusing reviewer in telling nonsense.

oceansize

Forum Donor
Don't get the way of irony. Understood that it is irony but in what way.
I think you accusing reviewer in telling nonsense.
I'm sure that they are excellent speakers and an improvement on the previous iteration of the R series. But claiming skepticism before presenting a "miracle" is hardly a new selling tactic.

Streamc

I'm sure that they are excellent speakers and an improvement on the previous iteration of the R series. But claiming skepticism before presenting a "miracle" is hardly a new selling tactic.
Just get it. Thanks! I think it is 'new' in audio but not new in marketing or psychology or something relying to TV preachers.

lossendae

Nice price for the money. But yes, they are not fancy... I mean those thing are ugly

dogmamann

I found one old thread in hififorum.de where someone was asking if the prices of Kef were stable in 2019. One of the user posted the a link back then with 1998 euros per unit for r11. So, unless really needed, holding off the purchase for a year may save some 1000 bucks ;)

dogmamann

Nice price for the money. But yes, they are not fancy... I mean those thing are ugly
I do feel the same. The vintage look is an easy excuse to do a lousy job in designing something new. It stands odd in between modern day sleek or curved loudspeakers.

bodhi

Forum Donor
I do feel the same. The vintage look is an easy excuse to do a lousy job in designing something new. It stands odd in between modern day sleek or curved loudspeakers.

There is the possibility that some people might not think box shaped speakers ugly. I mean it's a far fetched hypothesis, but there must be some excuse for why so many companies continue to produce box shaped speakers even though many enlightened internet commentators try to help them get rid of this habit.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
There is the possibility that some people might not think box shaped speakers ugly. I mean it's a far fetched hypothesis, but there must be some excuse for why so many companies continue to produce box shaped speakers even though many enlightened internet commentators try to help them get rid of this habit.
Why do dogs lick their balls?
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Because they can.
Keith

Top Bottom