• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiolab 6000A - PEQ options -miniDSP?

OP
S

Smithg97

Set the 6000a to 0 and increase the volume on the flex (slowly).
Regards preset 2, could you post a screenshot of the routing screen?
16758076111121486921327847411721.jpg

This is preset 2 as is, looking again at the output section i can see the db readings change very slightly but does even show up on the actual bar/meter if that makes sense

TimW

Major Contributor
View attachment 263205
This is preset 2 as is, looking again at the output section i can see the db readings change very slightly but does even show up on the actual bar/meter if that makes sense
You have the routing set to mono, not stereo. The issue is that you probably have crossovers set, go to the ouptuts tab and disable them.

Also -30 and -30 on both volumes will probably be very quiet.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Again, it may be just the levels. Set the flex to 0 or -10 if your nervous, and then increase the Denon to to a level you would watch movies at.

Joffy1780

Again, it may be just the levels. Set the flex to 0 or -10 if your nervous, and then increase the Denon to to a level you would watch movies at.
He needs the outputs set that way so that he gets both channels to both subs. He hasn't even touched crossovers yet.

OP
S

Smithg97

You have the routing set to mono, not stereo. The issue is that you probably have crossovers set, go to the ouptuts tab and disable them.

How do i change the routing to stereo? I have applied hpf of 80hz for time being, can fine tune that later on once I've become more au fait with the software.

I added 12db gain to output 3&4 and increased the flex volume and can now hear the subs i guess I'll need to play with levels somehow so that i don't need to keep adj volume when i switch presets

Joffy1780

He needs them set that way so that both subs get both channels.

Joffy1780

How do i change the routing to stereo? I have applied hpf of 80hz for time being, can fine tune that later on once I've become more au fait with the software.

I added 12db gain to output 3&4 and increased the flex volume and can now hear the subs i guess I'll need to play with levels somehow so that i don't need to keep adj volume when i switch presets
The routing is correct, it is just the levels.

Joffy1780

You would need to just set the flex at 0 on the volume and then control the volume with the 6000a and Denon.

Joffy1780

I wouldn't increase the gain on the flex outputs as yet.

OP
S

Smithg97

You would need to just set the flex at 0 on the volume and then control the volume with the 6000a and Denon.
I just tried reconnecting the output 1&2 to the aux input on the audiolab and tried as you said with 0db on flex and increased amp volume in both pre pwr & integrated mode but still nothing hugely frustrating

Joffy1780

I just tried reconnecting the output 1&2 to the aux input on the audiolab and tried as you said with 0db on flex and increased amp volume in both pre pwr & integrated mode but still nothing hugely frustrating
Actually going back to the preset 1, with the flex at 0 and the 6000a controlling the volume, the subs would be getting full volume fed to them no matter what level the 6000a is at.

OP
S

Smithg97

Actually going back to the preset 1, with the flex at 0 and the 6000a controlling the volume, the subs would be getting full volume fed to them no matter what level the 6000a is at.
Turns out your theory does work you absolute genius! Lol i have sound now coming through via aux using integrated mode! Now i just need to find the best way to manage volume as i almost just blew my subs and my eardrums

Joffy1780

Turns out your theory does work you absolute genius! Lol i have sound now coming through via aux using integrated mode! Now i just need to find the best way to manage volume as i almost just blew my subs and my eardrums
Sorry about that with the subs! I can't see a way to avoid changing the volume level when you switch presets, as you need to the flex to control the volume of the subs in preset 1 and the AVR to control the volume of the subs in preset 2.
I don't use the analogue in on my flex for my LFE output from my AVR for this reason.

OP
S

Smithg97

Sorry about that with the subs! I can't see a way to avoid changing the volume level when you switch presets, as you need to the flex to control the volume of the subs in preset 1 and the AVR to control the volume of the subs in preset 2.
I don't use the analogue in on my flex for my LFE output from my AVR for this reason.
I think the best approach for me will be to find a balance between audiolab & flex volume for stereo plus flex volume for movies/games ideally so that the flex volume control is set to the same position for both, then adj sub gain + for movies in the minidsp software and gain - for stereo

Joffy1780

I think the best approach for me will be to find a balance between audiolab & flex volume for stereo plus flex volume for movies/games ideally so that the flex volume control is set to the same position for both, then adj sub gain + for movies in the minidsp software and gain - for stereo
I can't see how that is doable to be honest.

OP
S

Smithg97

I can't see how that is doable to be honest.
I think you might be right....sub volume diff is too big for the different presets! Maybe i need a 2x4hd as well to manage subs off the avr output lol this is becoming expensive!

Joffy1780

If you were happy with the subs for games and movies via the AVR before, I personally don't see the need to route the sub outputs through the flex. If you do, you will have to use the flex at a set level when using analogue in and use the flex to control the volume when listening to music, there is no way around it.
The way you describe wouldn't allow you to adjust the volume when listening to music and keep the l+r outputs at the same level as the subs, as if you turn the volume up or down on the 6000a the subs volume won't change and will be too high or low (relative to your mains).
Personally, I would just leave the AVR to manage the subs for movies/games and play about with Audyssey app to tweak them if you're not happy with games/movies.
Initially the intention was to integrate the subs better for stereo.
Adding a 2x4hd wouldn't solve it, as far as I can see, and would be a lot more complicated (and as you say, more expensive) than just setting the flex to a given level for movies.

OP
S

Smithg97

If you were happy with the subs for games and movies via the AVR before, I personally don't see the need to route the sub outputs through the flex. If you do, you will have to use the flex at a set level when using analogue in and use the flex to control the volume when listening to music, there is no way around it.
The way you describe wouldn't allow you to adjust the volume when listening to music and keep the l+r outputs at the same level as the subs, as if you turn the volume up or down on the 6000a the subs volume won't change and will be too high or low (relative to your mains).
Personally, I would just leave the AVR to manage the subs for movies/games and play about with Audyssey app to tweak them if you're not happy with games/movies.
Initially the intention was to integrate the subs better for stereo.
Adding a 2x4hd wouldn't solve it, as far as I can see, and would be a lot more complicated (and as you say, more expensive) than just setting the flex to a given level for movies.
Since i got the pb1000's I've been very happy with the sound tbh but i can't help thinking that there's always room for some improvement so now that i have the flex and umik1 my plan will be to first try find a solution to managing both inputs to the subs without having to undergo some complex level adjustment procedure each time i change source or failing that (which seems likely) I'll take some measurements from the subs driven by the AVR, adjust audyssey and the subs using the svs software, remeasure then I'll do the same using the flex (with the stereo system disconnected) and see whether there's enough of an improvement over & above what i can achieve with audyssey + svs app to judge whether it is worth getting a second dsp (minidsp 2x4hd) as this would allow me to control the subs output from the avr separately from the stereo system and avoid risking blowing the subs

Joffy1780

Since i got the pb1000's I've been very happy with the sound tbh but i can't help thinking that there's always room for some improvement so now that i have the flex and umik1 my plan will be to first try find a solution to managing both inputs to the subs without having to undergo some complex level adjustment procedure each time i change source or failing that (which seems likely) I'll take some measurements from the subs driven by the AVR, adjust audyssey and the subs using the svs software, remeasure then I'll do the same using the flex (with the stereo system disconnected) and see whether there's enough of an improvement over & above what i can achieve with audyssey + svs app to judge whether it is worth getting a second dsp (minidsp 2x4hd) as this would allow me to control the subs output from the avr separately from the stereo system and avoid risking blowing the subs
Sounds like the best way forward and a lot of tinkering to be done ☺️
I get very little opportunity to do the same at the moment. I'm thinking of adding a 2x4hd to my partner's setup (probably won't even tell her, see if she notices anything )

OP
S

Smithg97

Sounds like the best way forward and a lot of tinkering to be done ☺️
I get very little opportunity to do the same at the moment. I'm thinking of adding a 2x4hd to my partner's setup (probably won't even tell her, see if she notices anything )
Ha will be heatbreaking if she doesn't and you spent all the time and effort setting it up! HT/hi-fi setups take a lot of time and effort to perfect I'm realising lol same as my gaming pc a never ending saga of problems that takes up too much of my time.....first world problems!

Thanks for all your help, will report back if i manage to find a way to my HT/hi-fi utopia lol

Top Bottom