• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Purifi Mono, 2ch, and 3ch Official Thread

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Finally took decent pictures of the speakON and Rack Case options (people have been inquiring for pictures lately)

Attachments

• rack.png
    rack.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 764
  • speakon.png
    speakon.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 767
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
So, not ready to call the distortion issue officially fixed, but we are very comfortable that we have found the culprit. We have a few more variables/variations to test to be 100% sure, along with a 3rd party measuring/testing as well, but we can reproduce distortion-free measurements by replacing the culprit in every different variation we have tried so far.

The great news: if the results hold up, it will be a super simple fix. Won't say more yet. But for those who have been patient and waiting, I think there is finally light.

Futility

Forum Donor
...it will be a super simple fix.
As easy as using a power cable with 2 prongs instead of 3?

P.S. I personally don't hear any audible abnormalities with my Buckey amps.

One thing I did notice, whether related to the issue at hand or not, is the following. Every now and then the auto-sense does not power off the amps after AVR shutdown. Could be due to listening at low volume at night. Took me by surprise too see blue ON lights on the amps in the morning.

squared80

So, not ready to call the distortion issue officially fixed, but we are very comfortable that we have found the culprit. We have a few more variables/variations to test to be 100% sure, along with a 3rd party measuring/testing as well, but we can reproduce distortion-free measurements by replacing the culprit in every different variation we have tried so far.

The great news: if the results hold up, it will be a super simple fix. Won't say more yet. But for those who have been patient and waiting, I think there is finally light.

Great news. Anxious for the fix. And the subsequent re-test by @amirm .

pma

Major Contributor
Great news. Anxious for the fix. And the subsequent re-test by @amirm .
Guys, these small issues are really inaudible!! It is only about technical perfectionists in us designers and a good feeling of the customers. You will hear no change except for your autosuggestion.

Sammy1358

I just ordered the Purifi 2-ch a few days ago and am really excited to see if there is a difference from my NOS Rotel-1070. I am doubtful I will hear much of a difference other than maybe the noisefloor. I tried a Class D audio 4070se I think it was and was pretty disappointed. Power for days, but a soundstage as wide and deep as my bathroom. Either way Dylan was great to deal with. Worse case, it will be a new amp day for my bedroom setup and at best, I will understand what all the fuss is over the new Purifi :) I wanted to publicly thank Dylan for all of his dedication in being active with these forums. I don't know that I would have the courage to do so. Cheers and I look forward to the new HIFI experience!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just ordered the Purifi 2-ch a few days ago and am really excited to see if there is a difference from my NOS Rotel-1070. I am doubtful I will hear much of a difference other than maybe the noisefloor. I tried a Class D audio 4070se I think it was and was pretty disappointed. Power for days, but a soundstage as wide and deep as my bathroom. Either way Dylan was great to deal with. Worse case, it will be a new amp day for my bedroom setup and at best, I will understand what all the fuss is over the new Purifi :) I wanted to publicly thank Dylan for all of his dedication in being active with these forums. I don't know that I would have the courage to do so. Cheers and I look forward to the new HIFI experience!
The difference between my old Rotel amp and the Purifi is to put it mildly astounding-at least to my ears. Lots of hiss from the Rotel/none from the Buckeye Purifi. Rolled off highs on the Rotel/pristine fr on the Buckeye Purifi. Oh, and soundstage has nothing to do with the amp you're listening to unless crosstalk is excessive.

Sammy1358

The difference between my old Rotel amp and the Purifi is to put it mildly astounding-at least to my ears. Lots of hiss from the Rotel/none from the Buckeye Purifi. Rolled off highs on the Rotel/pristine fr on the Buckeye Purifi. Oh, and soundstage has nothing to do with the amp you're listening to unless crosstalk is excessive.
Thank you for your thoughts, I am really excited to hear it :). I hear you about the amp having nothing to do with soundstage, although this is not what I have found in my personal system through quite a bit of gear I have moved through. I couldn't tell you technically why one sounds one way and another sounds different, but I just focus on what sounds best to me. Maybe it's as something as simple as the because the background noise is lesser I feel I can hear more details and therefore, perceive this as a bigger stage. I think probably finding the meaning of life is easier than decrypting the science behind sound and how each person's brain perceives the sound they are hearing. Gear rolling is a lot of fun though :)

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Update:

I am no longer going to advocate/endorse using the Monoprice RCA to XLR cables. Please note, anyone currently using one, there is no issue/distortion/sound degredation.
It is more so that as of late there have been more cases of those specific cables introducing ground loop issues that are resolved by using different RCA to XLR cable brands.

So if you are not hearing an issue, do not worry about it at all.

Not sure if there was a quality issue with production of these cables recently, etc.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Update:

I am no longer going to advocate/endorse using the Monoprice RCA to XLR cables. Please note, anyone currently using one, there is no issue/distortion/sound degredation.
It is more so that as of late there have been more cases of those specific cables introducing ground loop issues that are resolved by using different RCA to XLR cable brands.

So if you are not hearing an issue, do not worry about it at all.

Not sure if there was a quality issue with production of these cables recently, etc.
of course. I just bought a pair.
If mine are faulty what exactly should i hear with ground loop issues? A humm?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Update 2:

I have validated the Micro Audio SMPS for use with the Purifi 1ET7040SA module and our buffer board. This SMPS is able to supply the voltage needed to drive the 7040SA to full power output. Just waiting on delivery of them (was told 60-70 days) but as always, taking pre-orders for those interested.

Last edited:
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
of course. I just bought a pair.
If mine are faulty what exactly should i hear with ground loop issues? A humm?
If you have a ground loop, it will be audible as a hum from the speaker even if no sound/signal is being played.
Such ground loops can be fixed, usually pretty easily.

What I have noticed lately is that when using the Monoprice cables and someone's setup has a ground loop issue, the loop is only ever fixed by using a different RCA to XLR cable.

You will hear it if you have a loop. If you don't hear it, there is nothing to worry about.

Sammy1358

Update 2:

I have validated the Micro Audio SMPS for use with the Purifi 1ET7040SA module and our buffer board. This SMPS is able to supply the voltage needed to drive the 7040SA to full power output. Just waiting on delivery of them (was told 60-70 days) but as always, taking pre-orders for those interested.
How are these compared to the Hypex SMPS1200A400? I understand that the power supply is very important to the sound especially in regards to low end control. Worrying about the fomo for the amp I just purchased from Buckeye.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
How are these compared to the Hypex SMPS1200A400? I understand that the power supply is very important to the sound especially in regards to low end control. Worrying about the fomo for the amp I just purchased from Buckeye.
They are very similar. The Micro Audio has a higher rail voltage which is needed for the 7040SA to reach its peak output.

Top Bottom