• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

BossBunos

I wish they could add an intergration for Home Assistant so I can do automations on my house for example if my sensors, camera, door sensors sense a break in it will play loud heavy metal music in the whole house while I am away. Or if I forget to turn off the oven it will play a certain song to remind me.... I have been scouring the internet and youtube for weeks now on how to do this haven't had any luck. I would even be willing to pay someone to program an integration for Home Assistant.

If anyone from WiiM is reading this. I am sure this advice will bring in a lot of sales and beat Bluesound Node to a pulp. Since your target market are the more technical, Practical and objective side of the home audio industry. Who like science good measurements and technical data. It would be wise to target the same type of people in the Smart Home Automation side of things. I am part of both.

Most objective, technical and practical Smart Home Enthusiats use Home Assistant because it is open source and works with high quality low priced devices like Zigbee. If you guys can get your streamers integrated into the Home Assistant echo system wherein clients can create automations that trigger certain songs or playlists in any music zone in their house I am sure you will be selling more than 3 to unlimited units per client.

Imagine these scenarios:
1. Home intrusion triggers sensores and Home Assistant plays Highway to hell in all zones at high volume.
2. Person forgets to turn off the oven, stove or some appliance the Home Assistant plays a certain song in whichever room the client is.
3. Automation can be endless.
They actually have an basic API running on the wiim (play, pause, volume etc). So if you know home to make http requests from HA then you can already do the basic stuff. I also read that every playback regardless of the source is visible and controllable via the dlna api on the wiim. So it's just a matter of time before someone makes an integration for home assistant.

telemike

Hello my namesake!
Biggest difference is that with wiim mini you stream music with wiims app while with pro you can use your phones app and stream with chromecast.

Wiim Mini can be used by phone apps: Spotfiy Connect, Tidal Connect and Alexacast same as the pro.

sajgre

I have ordered mine from Amazon.de (had it in shopping cart from a few days back, can't see it on search anymore) and I should receive it on 16.2.

gregor

As I can see, it's now on stock on amazon.de

Be quick, before stock runs out. :)

I'm still considering what to buy, Maybe it will be Pro. :p

pieterv1

The Wiim Mini - available now for approx. 80 EUR - is just as good, unless you need the specific features of the Pro ... plenty of user experience on this forum.
If you want the Pro features then wait, if you just want to stream Tidal & local files then save 100 EUR :)
Don't forget that the WiiM Pro has 4x the amount of ram and more processing power so it'll probably get some more exclusive features in the future, differentiating it even more from the WiiM Mini

morillon

Major Contributor
if like me you have a mini and which offers the functions that we need (it's very recent for me hihi)... buying a pro is just probably of little interest (except maybe for use on the analog output .. but good in general for a rather modest use) ...

but if you don't have a mini... the price difference isn't huge, that doesn't even raise the question...

for my part, I will buy the pro without hesitation... (except that it has nothing to do with the funny and very discreet little object)

it's even a little sad for the little mini this situation

Let's see what a future mini "mk2" can be...

Last edited:

gregor

I will buy Wiim Pro, the best streamer in the world. ;)

My next post will be in DAC section, new streamer needs new DAC. :)

Thank you for your answers.

sajgre

Wiims dac might be good enough. Better put money towards new headphones? :)

morillon

Major Contributor

an essential activity of linkplay is to provide oem..
so can it be interesting to see what will be produced by other brands on these bases, with probably more care on certain points....
(may also explain that linkplay is considering roon peq etc)

Reactions: MCH

tom_tom

Cambridge similar to NAD also releasing their streamer with similar to Wiim Pro functionality ( Chromecast, Airplay 2, Connects etc ) but with more capable DAC chip and USB media input.

Turambar

If my understanding is correct, no Tidal Connect, no MQA (for interested Tidal subscribers), no Deezer, no Amazon Music... And 500 dollars.

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If my understanding is correct, no Tidal Connect, no MQA (for interested Tidal subscribers), no Deezer, no Amazon Music... And 500 dollars.
MQA could be, but you have Chromecast from where you can use Tidal and other services.
But at that price is hard to compete against the Wiim pro, that is the one I am thinking to buy to change my very old Sonos connect, I need coax out.

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, I installed the Roon endpoint on a small Linux box just to test it out. It's an incredibly bloated pig, requiring the entire .NET runtime (ported to Linux). Squeezelite and Spotify Connect, which do essentially the same thing for their services, are tiny, efficient and written by far better coders, IMO. Roon would do well to hire a small team that knows how to write efficient code.
and some people that answer email questions, took 3 months to answer a question I sent and I have an account there.
IMHO is not worth the money.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm considering a Wiim Pro because it has a useful feature set for our 2-channel system - specifically, AirPlay2, digital input, and a 12V trigger output. (My "preamp" in this 2-channel system has a 12V trigger input. Can someone who owns one help me with the following questions:

1) Does the 12V trigger function when you are playing a hardwired digital source through it, as opposed to streaming? For example, if it's used as a pass-through for digital audio from a Park Audio Puffin, will the trigger be active?

2) If you set the timer to off and turn the thing on, does that mean the trigger stays on indefinitely? For me this comes in for Dirac Live Bass Control calibration and any standalone measurements - that would be through a computer, and not run through the 'preamp.' So I would want the preamp to stay on even though the WiiM is not in use.

3) Is the only way to switch sources (i.e. AirPlay or digital input) to use a phone app? Or is there a way to set priority - for example, if you were using the digital input last time you used it but want to AirPlay to it, will it automatically start and play the AirPlay stream using the standard iOS/macOS AirPlay controls?

BossBunos

I'm considering a Wiim Pro because it has a useful feature set for our 2-channel system - specifically, AirPlay2, digital input, and a 12V trigger output. (My "preamp" in this 2-channel system has a 12V trigger input. Can someone who owns one help me with the following questions:

1) Does the 12V trigger function when you are playing a hardwired digital source through it, as opposed to streaming? For example, if it's used as a pass-through for digital audio from a Park Audio Puffin, will the trigger be active?

2) If you set the timer to off and turn the thing on, does that mean the trigger stays on indefinitely? For me this comes in for Dirac Live Bass Control calibration and any standalone measurements - that would be through a computer, and not run through the 'preamp.' So I would want the preamp to stay on even though the WiiM is not in use.

3) Is the only way to switch sources (i.e. AirPlay or digital input) to use a phone app? Or is there a way to set priority - for example, if you were using the digital input last time you used it but want to AirPlay to it, will it automatically start and play the AirPlay stream using the standard iOS/macOS AirPlay controls?
I'll have the answer for you tomorrow. My trigger cable is expected to arrive today. Note that the trigger out is a 2.5mm connector.

DTTOM37

If you have recently made experience with the WIIM PRO's competitor, the AudioPro Link 2 streamer, you are invited to post your findings in this thread:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll have the answer for you tomorrow. My trigger cable is expected to arrive today.

Thanks!

Note that the trigger out is a 2.5mm connector.

I wonder why they did that. There’s no shortage of back panel real estate, so the jack size isn’t an issue. Also, why use a non-standard connection without supplying an adapter in the box? I know Pro-Ject always supplied 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapters for their trigger outs, and I believe Parasound did too on their Zamps.

elmoe420

Thanks!

I wonder why they did that. There’s no shortage of back panel real estate, so the jack size isn’t an issue. Also, why use a non-standard connection without supplying an adapter in the box? I know Pro-Ject always supplied 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapters for their trigger outs, and I believe Parasound did too on their Zamps.

Yeah I find this really annoying myself. None of my other equipment uses 2.5mm. It was also surprisingly hard to find an adapter (everything on Amazon was to convert to 3.5mm) and it doesn't fit snug now either.

Top Bottom