• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You get a nice Trojan tacked onto one of the files. Oh wait, haven't they fixed it already?
I could be wrong but think it was the unofficial v2.26 driver that had that trojan problem and not the v4.x evaluation driver that is needed to be able to update firmware, and as far as i remember that v2.26 driver was intended for users that wanted the small diy hardware volume hack developed by Khadas employees many pages back : )

Reactions: gvl

alashikata

What player? Might need a simple mix-down.

I got oppo. Some discs have option to choose 2 or 5.1 channels so I just rip the 2 channels discs only.

Without reading back through the last 20 pages here, what is the advantage to upgrading the firmware of the Tone Board? I can't find update notes on their website. My tone board is on stock firmware right now.

The fix for: Tone Board Left and Right Channels swapped when playing DSD over PCM

Veri

Master Contributor
I got oppo. Some discs have option to choose 2 or 5.1 channels so I just rip the 2 channels discs only.

The fix for: Tone Board Left and Right Channels swapped when playing DSD over PCM
Ah yes I see. I think I have some CFW PS3 rips that have both. Hard to get such a PS3 to rip with nowadays though :p

Aibo

First impressions listening to this board are - it sounds as good as it measures, easily beating anything else I've had so far.

Already looking for a suitable aluminium enclosure, because this one is a keeper.

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The 2-XMOS XS-U8 DJ (EVL) driver shows 32 bit 192000 Hz but not the office version. But I will check again tonight to make sure. Because I played from different devices. I remembered I saw 32 bit on laptop when I got Eval version but last night when I configured on desktop, it shows 24 bit. Will double check again to make sure...

Here is how it looks into Win7 : )

If one sets"Format" tab in TUSBAudio Control Panel to 16bit we get below probably expected OS support.
0001.png

If one sets"Format" tab in TUSBAudio Control Panel to 32bit we get below probably expected OS support plus a clone more (dual) of the 24bit row which probably over in Win10 will translate to 32bit.
0002.png

Now if that "Format" tab in TUSBAudio Control Panel is set to 32bit then a player as Jriver v23 with exclusive WASAPI or ASIO access is happy about the modern output depth no matter whatever OS sound system is set at.
0005.png

alashikata

Ah yes I see. I think I have some CFW PS3 rips that have both. Hard to get such a PS3 to rip with nowadays though :p

I have a ps3 on stand by lol just for my 20 SACD discs since I don't use the ps3 anymore. SACD is not that expensive. I may buy more later.

BYRTT
I have on win 10. Yeah On sound control, it show 24 bit but foobar can set 32 bits. I will recheck my laptop again tonight because my laptop is update to date but not the desktop.

gvl

Major Contributor
First impressions listening to this board are - it sounds as good as it measures, easily beating anything else I've had so far.

I still can't decide whether to file mine under shrill or exceptional, I guess I can get a second one to resolve this dilemma :)

Veri

Master Contributor
I still can't decide whether to file mine under shrill or exceptional, I guess I can get a second one to resolve this dilemma :)
daisy-chain? :D

ngs428

tlr

I have ordered the Khadas Tone Board on 17th of December, almost 2 months now. Still nowhere in sight. I am considering (most likely) filing a claim on paypal if it doesn't arive on the 2 month mark (17th of February).

It's unlikely you'll receive it by Feb 17. Email I received from them a week ago:
Thank you for your email. Our office is closed Wednesday, January 31st and Thursday, February 14th for the Chinese New year and all orders will be processed on Friday, February 15th.

Aibo

Chiv

Attachments

• IMG_2751.jpg
    IMG_2751.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 876
Top Bottom