• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

badyard

What does the "original" profile do? I have seen descriptions of the tube/crystal/etc. but not what that one does.

I'm not really sure about the "original" profile yet, at first glance it gave me the impression of softer mids.. but it's hard to say! They are so subtle it's easy to get confused by placebo effect.

hrbngr

should be version 1.2 of the physical board [ (c) v1.2 2018/9/27 ] https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-su-8-version-2-balanced-dac.5433/post-120607

and 1.3 version firmware ( via Pressing and hold the machine button and while plugging in electricity, the machine will be set up in factory setup, the software version number will be displayed on the display,if the software version is V1.3 then it is newest,

WLVCA

I received am SMSL SU-8 I purchased from Amazon today and it is the latest version.

The power cable in the box had a European style plug for some reason. I had another power cable on hand so I used it instead.

Just started to listen to it but so far so good.

Viper Necklampy

Would really like how it perform in Toslink connection. In and without balanced, just to be sure.. :)

Toku

Major Contributor
I received am SMSL SU-8 I purchased from Amazon today and it is the latest version.
The power cable in the box had a European style plug for some reason. I had another power cable on hand so I used it instead.
Just started to listen to it but so far so good.

I ordered the SU-8 at the same time it was released. However, I could not forgive that the beginning of the song became a fade-in operation at the beginning of playback. If the leading silent part is long, the fade-in operation is not worrisome, but if it is short, the beginning part of the song is cut off and the atmosphere of music is damaged.
Is it improved in the new Ver.2?

badyard

I ordered the SU-8 at the same time it was released. However, I could not forgive that the beginning of the song became a fade-in operation at the beginning of playback. If the leading silent part is long, the fade-in operation is not worrisome, but if it is short, the beginning part of the song is cut off and the atmosphere of music is damaged.
Weird, I have v2 and previously had v1 and never had this behavior at all, v1 had some clicks and pops while changing sample rate or input source.
V2 is completely silent, other than music I don't ear anything from the dac.
As for the "fade in" none of them had this behavior, songs are and where starting instantly.

Krunok

Major Contributor

That would be a strange behavior for a DAC. Are you sure it is not your player?

snowsurfer

I just ordered mine on Shenzhen Audio (directly on their site, fingers crossed...). Had no news for a couple of days, wrote to them, they say that it is Chinese New Year and that it will ship on the 11th. OK with me since I got a pretty meaty New Year discount (ended up paying 193€ with shipping). It should be the "10th Anniversary" edition (which I believe is the same as v1.2 but at least you don't have to open it to see if it is v1 or v1.2). I'll report here when it's in my hands and I had the opportunity to test it.

Last edited:

Gomjab

I just ordered mine on Shenzhen Audio (directly on their site, fingers crossed...). Had no news for a couple of days, wrote to them, they say that it is Chinese New Year and that it will ship on the 11th. OK with me since I got a pretty meaty New Year discount (ended up paying 193€ with shipping). It should be the "10th Anniversary" edition (which I believe is the same as v1.2 but at least you don't have to open it to see if it is v1 or v1.2). I'll report here when it's in my hands and I had the opportunity to test it.
My unit from Massdrop with “10th Anniversary" markings was hardware version 1.2 and included firmware version 1.3 so you should be good.

Buddelpudding

fade-in operation at the beginning of playback

That would be a strange behavior for a DAC. Are you sure it is not your player?

I am experiencing the same thing. I play music through Strawberry player on Linux, and whenever I change to a song with a different sample rate, I can hear the said "fade in". For example, on "Sunday at the Village Vanguard", I can not hear the very first chord on the record. Whereas, when I then play the song again, the fading does not occur, so it is definitely related to sample rate or bit depth changes. I work around it by clicking play twice in a row, so the song immediately restarts before actually playing back at all. It is annoying though...

WLVCA

I'm using JRiver 24 on a Windows 10 PC and connected to the SMSL SU-8 via USB.

Didn't have the "fade in" issue and just changed from a DSD file to a flac file to test again.

Had it in my headphone system near my desk yesterday and moved it to my speaker system across the room this morning and no issues either way - knock on wood.

Toku

Major Contributor
I am experiencing the same thing. I play music through Strawberry player on Linux, and whenever I change to a song with a different sample rate, I can hear the said "fade in". For example, on "Sunday at the Village Vanguard", I can not hear the very first chord on the record. Whereas, when I then play the song again, the fading does not occur, so it is definitely related to sample rate or bit depth changes. I work around it by clicking play twice in a row, so the song immediately restarts before actually playing back at all. It is annoying though...
Yes, it is the symptom of that street.
Several cases are reported as problems in Japan where I live.
It occurs when switching to a song with a different bit rate or switching to a different file format such as PCM >> DSD >> PCM.
There is a report from early even in writing here.
Perhaps, I think that it is a fade-in operation to eliminate the pop noise that occurs when switching.

jackenhack

Forum Donor

Ordered mine directly from them and got the latest version.

Jaimo

Just Placed an order with Shenzhen Audio $212. I believe it's a version 2 anniversary edition. Will likely ship on Feb11. Can't wait to replace my faulty Teac UD503.

Vexed hex

Sigh i ordered mine from massdrop so i have to wait till the 25th for mine to be shipped. Didnt know shenzen was going to have a sale for only 12 dollars more i could of had it sooner.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Sigh i ordered mine from massdrop so i have to wait till the 25th for mine to be shipped. Didnt know shenzen was going to have a sale for only 12 dollars more i could of had it sooner.

They won't be shipping it out at least until sometime next week due to the Chinese Lunar New Year break. So the difference in time will be at the very most 2 weeks. Maybe as little as a few days only if you're based in the US.

TheFixer

And with warranty. Sorry, not trying to rub it in.

Top Bottom