• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 74 19.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 281 75.5%

• Total voters

pma

Major Contributor
What is really interesting is that it follows purifi's measurements almost like a photo-copy
(don't be misleaded by Purifi's wider X axis of the graph):

View attachment 262193

Purifi

View attachment 262194

Nilai
It is the result of feedback optimization of the class D switching principle and issues (dead time). I assume the guys are at SOTA technology limits.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
From tests, it seems like it is toe to toe with NCx500 amp.

RndmLstner

Not all class D but rather those that implement the feedback loop in such a way. This is FAQ... Over and over again.
Ok. Thanks for the response and further clarification.

In response to user BR52, I understand the AHB2 is not class D.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is the result of feedback optimization of the class D switching principle and issues (dead time). I assume the guys are at SOTA technology limits.
I guess with much higher base frequency ( sic,gallium arsenide) an improved is possible. It makes sense, I don’t know

AndyBeckett

This was a fascinating test. I know, I know, I was listening to a YouTube video through my own system so what could I really tell.

Well, every thought I had during the review matched what the guys in the room were saying so the differences were audio despite the restrictions.

The Nilai trounced the other two. The purifi might have been fractionally cleaner but the emotion and Class A sound of the Nilai blew me away, can't wait to hear it in person.

Last edited:

AndyBeckett

What's the effect of higher distortion at high frequencies?
Is the amp likely to get harsher at high volume?

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just to make sure: This is a next gen Hypex amp in monoblock configuration. And it performs worse than the decade old NC400 in similar high gain?
The NC400 when tested had 105 SINAD in a stereo setup and an underpowered shared SMPS.

???

It looks like the pushed out an iteration so they can justify keeping the price high.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the effect of higher distortion at high frequencies?
You can’t hear any of the distortion products above 10 kHz, so generally I would not expect any audibility issues. And the average SPL will be about 20 dB down from the low frequencies (< 1 kHz). Distortion is likely still below the room noise floor most of the time even at normal listening levels.

maty

Major Contributor
...The Nilai trounced the other two. The purifi might have been fractionally cleaner but the emotion and Class A sound of the Nilai blew me away, can't wait to hear it in person.

You may like one more than the other but they sound different (Nilai much better except maybe for music created with software).

But they measure very similar -> current measurements are not capable of detecting which is more faithful in the reproduction of music that uses real instruments (acoustic or electric), and voices without the damn Autotune, I say.

And, to have a better musical performance -> low gain + preamp with high gain and not just a passive attenuator / preamp.

buz

Forum Donor
But they measure very similar -> current measurements are not capable of detecting which is more faithful in the reproduction of music that uses real instruments (acoustic or electric), and voices without the damn Autotune, I say.
Nonsense.

They are way more than just audibly transparent.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
This amplifier is part of Hypex’s DIYclassD brand and is priced at 820€ excluding VAT (currently about $885 US). More details can be found at:

This is a successor product to Hypex's NC400 amplifier and is a much-improved offering all around. Notably, it was a breeze to assemble as the instructions are very good and an animated build video has been included.

Here are external pics...

r_300_225_producten_1_nilai500diy-500w-mono-kit.jpg
r_300_225_producten_3_nilai500diy-500w-mono-kit.jpg

Along with a status LED, the front panel has a (smallish) standby power switch. The IEC power inlet is fused and the amp has high quality binding posts. A trigger input is included and Hypex moved the LED brightness control to the back panel. The case has been redesigned (from the previous clamshell) and allows better access to the internals (notably the gain jumper setting).

P.S. Should mention the other standout feature is a 5 year warranty. Hypex reports that the Nilai parts are more premium than their OEM offerings. As posted later, should have mentioned VAT in pricing, so I have updated.
I'm curious about these kits. How much, if any, soldering is required?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm curious about these kits. How much, if any, soldering is required?

No soldering needed.

For that matter, the speaker cable is terminated with ferrules where it contacts the binding posts.

Top Bottom