• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Noob seeking recommendations for using iFi Zen DAC v2 with vintage stereo receiver and loudspeakers...

Wizard509

Forum Donor
I have been lurking here for the past several days and have looked at a number of threads related to DACs and using them for audio playback.

I want to use one of my laptops (Windows 10) as the source for WAV file playback via a stereo receiver from the late 70s and a pair of loudspeakers. I will not being using headphones or doing any streaming.

At present, I plan to buy an iFi Zen DAC v2.

I would like to have your suggestions for an external power supply for the iFi Zen DAC v2.

I would also like to have your suggestions for cabling to connect the laptop to the DAC and the DAC to the receiver.

I am looking for the best audio reproduction possible with the iFi DAC.

Please let me know if you need more information from me, or if I am overlooking something, or simply not asking the correct questions.

Thank you in advance for both your time and suggestions.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I will not being using headphones or doing any streaming.
At present, I plan to buy an iFi Zen DAC v2.
Then why buy a DAC+Headphone Amp combo unit, if you're not going to use headphones?

I would like to have your suggestions for an external power supply for the iFi Zen DAC v2.
Any Apple phone charger.
Don't waste your money on audiophile power supplies. They do nothing.

I would also like to have your suggestions for cabling to connect the laptop to the DAC and the DAC to the receiver.
For the USB cable, I recommend Delock, they make good cables. Amazon basics will work as well.
For the RCA cable, any will do really.
Again: don't waste your money on fancy, audiophile cables. They do nothing.

OP
Wizard509

Wizard509

Forum Donor
Then why buy a DAC+Headphone Amp combo unit, if you're not going to use headphones?

Any Apple phone charger.
Don't waste your money on audiophile power supplies. They do nothing.

For the USB cable, I recommend Delock, they make good cables. Amazon basics will work as well.
For the RCA cable, any will do really.
Again: don't waste your money on fancy, audiophile cables. They do nothing.
Thank you for your suggestions.

I've looked at quite a few reviews for using DACs with speakers. I liked what I read about the iFi unit the best. The headphone jack is just part of that package.

Hmmm...I just remembered that the battery backup/surge suppressor that the sytem will be on has a USB charging port. Will that suffice?

I'll look into the Delock cables.

Once again, THANKS!

azkaban3000

I'm currently using Zen Dac V2 too. From my experience:
  • USB and RCA cable doesn't makes any different. Just use any that seem durable and long enough for your needs.
  • If only use USB to power I notice a humming noise in my speaker especially when my GPU is under load. Using DC5V power will eliminates these noise. You don't need to use the fancy iFi Defender because it will use the same mechanism, just use any 5V charger you could find better use the Apple Wall Charger too see the magic. I'm not sure if the laptop will create same amount of noise as a PC with huge GPU.

Top Bottom