• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

bakker_be

I have the same experience as you in the past. The cause was in the included USB cable.
Look at past threads

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ts-of-topping-d10-dac.2470/page-26#post-90557
Got a couple of cables from our warehouse, tests schedule for tonight CET :)
If Toku's advice didn't help, measure TP 1V - DC, second point - UGND. Value on TP must be ~1V DC. That is XMOS's SPSU.
Thanks for the info, will report back if cables don't solve the issue :)

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Otherwise it might have to do with Windows not throwing the Topping out of the Device Manager. You might want to remove it there, then reboot with the D10 plugged in again.

bakker_be

Otherwise it might have to do with Windows not throwing the Topping out of the Device Manager. You might want to remove it there, then reboot with the D10 plugged in again.
Good tip, I hadn't thought about checking for unconnected devices. Thnx!

Tundra

Hello everyone,

Looking to getting a D10 to pair with the JDS ATOM Amp.

Just wanted to know whether if the D10 is simply just a matter of plug and play? Or is there like some sort of configuration you have to do before using it?

WASAPI or ASIO?

Downloading D10 Drivers or The DX3Pro Drivers?

Using the included USB cable or getting a different USB cable?

Any known compatibility issues with Windows 10 Pro Version 1803?

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

Looking to getting a D10 to pair with the JDS ATOM Amp.

Just wanted to know whether if the D10 is simply just a matter of plug and play? Or is there like some sort of configuration you have to do before using it?

WASAPI or ASIO?

Downloading D10 Drivers or The DX3Pro Drivers?

Using the included USB cable or getting a different USB cable?

Any known compatibility issues with Windows 10 Pro Version 1803?

You might need to update the firmware to address an issue with wake-up on Win10, other than that it's fine. Great combo with the Atom.

Budgeter

Hi all,
Now I'm using e10k for my current setup speakers set (lineout -> amp -> speakers)
Is D10 worth an upgrade? Will there be any noticeable differences? (i.e: better bass, imaging, etc)
How will D10 compare to Modi 3 based on their price (D10~$89, modi 3~$120 @Amazon)?

bakker_be

If Toku's advice didn't help, measure TP 1V - DC, second point - UGND. Value on TP must be ~1V DC. That is XMOS's SPSU.
Cables didn't help :( Measured 0.999V DC, so that's as it should be ...
Probably a warranty case then :(

Nesty

I'm not sure if it's my ears are faulty but I uninstalled the d10 driver and installed the dx3pro. Looks like the sound is better.

Tundra

I'm not sure if it's my ears are faulty but I uninstalled the d10 driver and installed the dx3pro. Looks like the sound is better.

Do you download the DX3 PRO Drivers + the DX3 PRO Firmware update (V1.04)?

I'm confused on which to download, D10 Drivers + DX3 PRO firmware updates?

Nesty

Do you download the DX3 PRO Drivers + the DX3 PRO Firmware update (V1.04)?

I'm confused on which to download, D10 Drivers + DX3 PRO firmware updates?

I removed the existing D10 driver which I previously installed in my laptop. Then I downloaded and installed the Dx3PRO driver ONLY not the DX3 pro firmware.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The driver should really just be the XMOS chip driver and volume control for the DAC chip.
If you use the DX3Pro driver, wouldn't it stop the hardware volume control on the ESS DAC chip from functioning, as the DX3Pro uses an AKM chip?

Saying that, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the driver package contains a few variants, and the correct one is addressed when the device is plugged in.

Nesty

The driver should really just be the XMOS chip driver and volume control for the DAC chip.
If you use the DX3Pro driver, wouldn't it stop the hardware volume control on the ESS DAC chip from functioning, as the DX3Pro uses an AKM chip?

Saying that, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the driver package contains a few variants, and the correct one is addressed when the device is plugged in.

Yes, the DX3Pro driver can also detect my D10 so it works not only for Dx3pro but also other models.

zoozilla

I've been having issues with my D10 recently, maybe someone can help.

The other day it simply stopped working. No sound - I thought it was the amp at first, but it worked with another source. The first thing I did was unplug the DAC from my PC and plug it back in, which resulted in it going into its "sleep state." Now the symptoms are much like the sleep issues others have posted in this thread, except when I unplug/re-plug the D10 my PC doesn't seem to recognize it at all. It doesn't show up in the Sounds control panel screen or in Device Manager. Maybe my issue is similar to what others experienced and updated firmware will fix it, but can I install firmware to a device that my PC doesn't register?

bakker_be

I've been having issues with my D10 recently, maybe someone can help.

The other day it simply stopped working. No sound - I thought it was the amp at first, but it worked with another source. The first thing I did was unplug the DAC from my PC and plug it back in, which resulted in it going into its "sleep state." Now the symptoms are much like the sleep issues others have posted in this thread, except when I unplug/re-plug the D10 my PC doesn't seem to recognize it at all. It doesn't show up in the Sounds control panel screen or in Device Manager. Maybe my issue is similar to what others experienced and updated firmware will fix it, but can I install firmware to a device that my PC doesn't register?
I have the exact same issue. I've opened a warranty call with my reseller on Aliexpress, but probably due to Chinese New Year haven't heard back yet.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hmm, what's your serial number by chance? Mine starts with 1810.
Are you installing Topping's USB driver on your PC and using it?
Does the symptom change even if connecting to another PC?
I suggested it to other people, but please leave it for several hours after unplugging the USB cable. Please try again by connecting USB cable again.

I have experienced similar problems only once at D10 I bought last March. At that time there was a problem with the included USB cable.

I have another experience that I can not connect to PC after plugging in / unplugging the USB cable with D50, DX3 Pro, DX7s. That time it was really shocking.

What I learned empirically at that time,
When the machine dies, turn off the power completely, leave it for 1~2 hours and connect again.
And plugging and unplugging the USB cable of the PC is done after shutting down the PC.

However, there is no basis for these.
There is not yet a machine that really got broken. All resurrected.
Topping's USB DAC sounds very good, but mysterious symptoms make me panic every time.

I am sorry in English which is difficult to read.

Top Bottom