• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I've owned speakers by.....

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
ElectroVoice
DCM
Magnepan
Quad
Tannoy
KEF
JBL
Acoustat

Subwoofers:
Velodyne
M&K
Jamo

(Since 1974)

Last edited:

Ifrit

Simfonia 003 ;)
Sony … don’t remember, truly horrible speakers
JBL 4412
Fostex PM.04
Dynaudio BM5A
Revel Ultima Studio
ATC SCM20, SCM50ASL

doodle6

Over 200 pairs over the last six decades. Still have about thirty pairs, but the big majority of the 200 have been passed along to new owners. Currently, the following are in active use in separate systems around the house: JBL L110, L220, Project Array 1400, 4350, Everest DD67000, Control 30 (under eaves, front and back yards), Revel Salon 2, Altec Valencias, BMR Philharmonitors, BMR Towers, Dynaudio Heritage Specials. All of these are played at least once or twice per week.

Last edited:

AM88

Over 200 pairs over the last six decades. Still have about thirty pairs, but the big majority of the 200 have been passed along to new owners. Currently, the following are in active use in separate systems around the house: JBL L110, L220, Project Array 1400, 4350, Everest DD67000, Control 30 (under eaves, front and back yards), Revel Salon 2, Altec Valencias, BMR Philharmonitors, BMR Towers, Dynaudio Heritage Specials. All of these are played at least once or twice per week.
How do you rate these ones that you play, in order of your personal preference?

Roderik

AR 4A
B&W 601 (Mk 1)
Diapason Prelude II 1998-today
Dali sub E-12 F 2023-today

HomePod minis in bedroom (2022-today)

Last edited:

doodle6

How do you rate these ones that you play, in order of your personal preference?
That’s like trying to rank your children in the order of how much you love each one - it can’t be done. They are all in use because I really, really like each one. That’s also the reason why all are turned on at least two or three times every month. (Actually, due to inclement weather, the outdoor speakers may not be used that much during the winter.) The speakers used the most are the Salons and the Valencias, but that’s because they’re in the family room and our bedroom.

When our last kid left the nest twenty years ago, I went on a buying binge, trying to get the best 2 channel sound possible. I went waaay too far. So yeah, I’ve been trying to reduce the numbers. But I don’t want to sell anything that’s set up now - they’re all very pleasing. There’s not a dud in the bunch.

Carlton80@0

Carver
Mirage
Definitive Technology
Apogee**
NHT*
Meridian**
Visonik*
Polk
JBL
Solus**
Apple**
Realistic
Rythmic
* currently own
**currently in use

Matt Bell

AR
Mission
Musical Fidelity
KEF
Sonus faber
Vivid
Martin Logan
ATC
JBL

Burning Sounds

In chronological order since 1972...

Wharfedale Denton
Altec Valencia
Magneplanar MG1 (Improved?)
Magneplanar MG2.5R
Linkwitz LX521 (music room)
Linkwitz LXMini (house)
Linkwitz LXMini+2 (Spain)

garyrc

Over the past 64 years (never shy about using tone controls):

12" Emerson in an old console radio cabinet.
(Mono.)

JBL 030 system in Karlson enclosures (D130 15" "extended range," 075 ring radiator tweeter, did not tolerate harsh recordings, but beautiful and brilliant on good audiophile recordings, and direct to disk. Really, despite reputation. Nice peak between 90 and 125 Hz. Stereo.

JBL 030, as above, but in JBL rear loaded horn C34 enclosure, first heard at Stairway to Music in Oakland in their "Stereo Room."

ADC 303AX two way acoustic suspension, to make sure recordings came over well enough on a normal, inexpensive widely owned speaker. Did the job, but was "muddy."

ElectroVoice 2-way, with 8 inch "extended range"speaker and T-35 tweeter. Used at work. Reacted to positively by generations of students ("great sounding speakers, what are they?")

Klipschorns first c. 1982, then upgraded (stock) with c. 2016 AK5 upgrade kit, with 4 improvements. With Audyssey room/speaker correction. IMO, superb with good recordings, clear detailed, airy, and with extreme, clean dynamics. In a 5.1 with a modified Belle Klipsch center channel, and Heresy II surrounds.

Borrowed, not owned:

AR 3A
, not detailed or airy enough.

Vintage Klipsch Heresy I (12" woofer, K55 midrange driver with horn, K-77 tweeter). Relatively open sounding, but inadequate deep bass.

Infinity RS 3000 Bass went deep, but no air, brass instruments sounded muffled, compared to others.

Last edited:

HQY

ProAc Tablette 50 Signature
Dynaudio Counter 1.3SE
Dynaudio Acoustics M1.5 and BM14S subs
Dynaudio Acoustics M3 and BM14S subs, Klipsch Cornwall
Dynaudio Acoustics M4 Mini and BM14S subs, Acoustic Energy AE1
Neumann KH80DSP, KH805 subs and KH750 sub

Last edited:

catastrofe

Infinity
Meridian
Thiel
Salk Sound
Emerald Physics
Daedalus
Sanders Sound Systems
Reference 3A
Rythmik
Philharmonic Audio

Ciobi69

Over the past 64 years (never shy about using tone controls):

12" Emerson in an old console radio cabinet.
(Mono.)

JBL 030 system in Karlson enclosures (D130 15" "extended range," 075 ring radiator tweeter, did not tolerate harsh recordings, but beautiful and brilliant on good audiophile recordings, and direct to disk. Really, despite reputation. Nice peak between 90 and 125 Hz. Stereo.

JBL 030, as above, but in JBL rear loaded horn C34 enclosure, first heard at Stairway to Music in Oakland in their "Stereo Room."

ADC 303AX two way acoustic suspension, to make sure recordings came over well enough on a normal, inexpensive widely owned speaker. Did the job, but was "muddy."

ElectroVoice 2-way, with 8 inch "extended range"speaker and T-35 tweeter. Used at work. Reacted to positively by generations of students ("great sounding speakers, what are they?")

Klipschorns first c. 1982, then upgraded (stock) with c. 2016 AK5 upgrade kit, with 4 improvements. With Audyssey room/speaker correction. IMO, superb with good recordings, clear detailed, airy, and with extreme, clean dynamics. In a 5.1 with a modified Belle Klipsch center channel, and Heresy II surrounds.

Borrowed, not owned:

AR 3A
, not detailed or airy enough.

Vintage Klipsch Heresy I (12" woofer, K55 midrange driver with horn, K-77 tweeter). Relatively open sounding, but inadequate deep bass.

Infinity RS 3000 Bass went deep, but no air, brass instruments sounded muffled, compared to others.

Did you keep the Khorn? I have a pair myself, soon i will use them in the new house crazy dynamics, if I had a properly treated room they would put me on the ground

Ricardus

Kef
Energy
Infinity
Bose
Genelec
SLS
KRK
Dayton Audio
Alesis

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Passive stereo:
Cerwin Vega! 313, D5, 12-TR, D9
Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v4
Fritzspeakers Carbon 7 tower
Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III
Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary (current stereo setup)

Passive surround:
Radio Shack Optimus Pro LX8, CS5, LX5
Paradigm Reference Studio 40 v2, CC v2, SR15
Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v3, CC-470 v3, ADP-470 v3
Klipsch Reference RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-52 II & RB-51 II (current 7-channel setup)

Subs:
Radio Shack Optimus Pro SW10p
Paradigm Reference Servo-15 v2
Reaction Audio Echo 15 (pair, current surround setup)

Active:
KRK Rokit 6 G2
JBL 306P (current office setup)

Last edited:
Top Bottom