• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sunfire Cinema Grand Review (5-channel Amp)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 105 59.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 6 3.4%

• Total voters

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately mine has developed a humming/buzzing toroidal transformer. Anyone know what I can replace it with? I think the output is 95.6V (Red) and 19.6v (blue and green) and I couldn't find any transformers with that output.

Pretty much every all transformer-based amps had low level hum/buzz.
I supplied this amp to dropped shipped to ASR.

It is still in the box, I plan on selling it, not really trying to make money, just over the repair costs shipping.

PM me if interested.

- Rich

2fatpugs

Pretty much every all transformer-based amps had low level hum/buzz.
I supplied this amp to dropped shipped to ASR.

It is still in the box, I plan on selling it, not really trying to make money, just over the repair costs shipping.

PM me if interested.

- Rich
I ordered the 6 ch MP 252 amp from Buckeye. I wanted to fix the buzz so I can sell mine too!

2fatpugs

Have you tried to loosen/re-tighten the transformer mounts or add some additional damping material to the mounting system ?
Thanks I'll try that. There always been a humming noise but it was barely audible unless I put my head next to the amp. Now I can hear the buzzing sound from the kitchen. I also forgot that if I unplugged the amp and leave it alone for awhile, when I plug it back in, it goes from buzzing back to a low hum. The buzzing would come back after I start using the amp again.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I'd suggest replacing the transformer with a brand new one of the non-humming type. Oh and remember, cost is no object!:)

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered the 6 ch MP 252 amp from Buckeye. I wanted to fix the buzz so I can sell mine too!
Ha ha.

I‘d better get mine listed soon :)

- Rich

gattaca

There are only a few remaining Carver/Sunfire Audio Repair Shops that I know of which specialize in handling the Sunfire/Carver amps. A 3rd, Bill Flannery at Flannery's Vintage Audio, retired in mid 2022 due to health.

a) Mr. Roland Barr @ Carver Audio Repair -> https://www.carveraudiorepair.com/
b) Mr. Garska @ Nelionaudio -> https://nelionaudio.com/

You might find some of the manuals, schematics and spec/design sheets here to glean part info from. Many parts are no longer manufactured today. -> https://thecarversite.com/

This "repair" sheet has not been updated in a while -> https://carverstereoforum.com/wp-co.../Sunfire-Repair-Sheet-updated-July-2017-1.pdf

I've used Mr. Barr (and Mr. Flannery) several times these past 25+ years to re-cap and inspect amps. Their fees were always fair and the work have always been immaculate. Sometimes they have a wait queue. I've not used Nelionaudio yet. Stay safe - Have a great day! YMMV.

Last edited:
I am looking to buy one of these. I just picked up a Sony ta n9000es and I would like to know how they compare.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am looking to buy one of these. I just picked up a Sony ta n9000es and I would like to know how they compare.
I have measured my TA-N9000ES to beat the NC252MP. The Sony is good if you don’t need power.

2fatpugs

Mine is for sale. There's a slight buzz from the transformer but other wise it is good shape. I have it re-coditioned by Bill Flannery 4 years ago. Message me if you are interested and we can come to a fair price.

Mine is for sale. There's a slight buzz from the transformer but other wise it is good shape. I have it re-coditioned by Bill Flannery 4 years ago. Message me if you are interested and we can come to a fair price.
I may be interested. I did just buy a few more amps though, a denon avrx 4500, Harmon kardon citation 22, adcom 5400, haffler dh200, and some pro amps. Getting ready to put together my living room with a full 11.2 system and my theater room with at least 13.2.
Regards,
Jeff

I am willing to buy one. Or maybe ever 2. They have been a dream Amp of mine since I installed a dozen of them in a home in 2001.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i remember when ac3 dts 5.1 dvd was firing on all cylinders and everyone thought the AVR amp or avp and 5 channel amp was the thing... people accepted they needed 5 speakers and a sub

3-5-6 channel amps were the big thing people lusted after

that Sony 9000ES was one but a $2,500 usd power amp like this Sunfire was the stuff of dreams where it could be $5,000 of our dollars... the Rotel 985 at the lower end... I ended up with a Parasound BUT a big deal for some was THX certification which sort of guaranteed a minimum standard of performance.

I would love to see how a RB985 compares but I suspect every one of these 5 channel units if flawed in some way.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...Krell 300i...
I used to lust for a Krell... any Krell... Never happened!:(
I remember any Krell that was a "300i" as being an integrated amp K-300i with their inhouse iBias design.
There were some brute Krell power amps like the FPB-300c and the KSA series but...
Anyways, what I want to know is how dare you to get rid of such a classic/collectible? Why? Any Regrets?:)

Last edited:
Message me, I am very interested.

Top Bottom