• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me pick an endgame IEM

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

Also does anyone have any tip suggestions? I'm using the AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC ear tips, not sure how I feel about them. They're good but a little too sticky for me

GaryH

Major Contributor
After comparing them the Monarch MKII's sound almost a little muffled in comparison to the Blessing 2 : Dusks.
Just as predicted by both the measurements:

graph-34.png

and Jaakko Pasanen's of AutoEQ excellent ranking table I linked previously, which not only shows the predicted preference ratings, but also very usefully the individual parameter values that contribute to this for each headphone/IEM, in particular the slope of the logarithimc regression fit of the error curve, which has a lower value for the Monarch MkII than the Dusk, indicating a darker overall tonal balance.

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

Just as predicted by both the measurements:

View attachment 260668

and Jaakko Pasanen's of AutoEQ excellent ranking table I linked previously, which not only shows the predicted preference ratings, but also very usefully the individual parameter values that contribute to this for each headphone/IEM, in particular the slope of the logarithimc regression fit of the error curve, which has a lower value for the Monarch MkII than the Dusk, indicating a darker overall tonal balance.

What is your opinion on the Softears RS10? Thanks!

GaryH

Major Contributor
That's probably exactly what will happen because it's not very transparent.
You can just click on the model on the ranking list and you'll see who made the measurement (Oratory or Crinacle). I don't see how that isn't transparent. If anyone spots any more duplicates I suggest they raise an issue on the AutoEQ GitHub page instead of moaning on here about a highly useful resource that Jaakko has obviously put time and effort into for the benefit of the community.

mrbungle

Also does anyone have any tip suggestions? I'm using the AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC ear tips, not sure how I feel about them. They're good but a little too sticky for me
I tried a couple. SpinFit CP145 are the safest choice. Super durable, comfortable, protect the annoying dust protector sticker nicely. Comply didn’t last very long because of the big nozzle. Moondrop Spring tips expose the nozzle a bit too much, but are comfortable, take a bit of fiddling to put them on. Azla I didn’t try, but didn’t like them with other IEMs.

GaryH

Major Contributor
What is your opinion on the Softears RS10? Thanks!
From the measurements, lacking bass with a mid-treble dip:

Screenshot_20230128_211005.png

With a positive slope value of 0.42 (as calculated on the AutoEQ ranking table) indicating a thin overall tonal balance.

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

I tried a couple. SpinFit CP145 are the safest choice. Super durable, comfortable, protect the annoying dust protector sticker nicely. Comply didn’t last very long because of the big nozzle. Moondrop Spring tips expose the nozzle a bit too much, but are comfortable, take a bit of fiddling to put them on. Azla I didn’t try, but didn’t like them with other IEMs.

Thanks! Ordered these to try em out

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

Does anyone know a equivalent to the Blessing 2 : Dusks in a custom IEM? Honestly if I could get these in a custom, they'd be my endgame tbh

markanini

Major Contributor
Looks
You can just click on the model on the ranking list and you'll see who made the measurement (Oratory or Crinacle). I don't see how that isn't transparent. If anyone spots any more duplicates I suggest they raise an issue on the AutoEQ GitHub page instead of moaning on here about a highly useful resource that Jaakko has obviously put time and effort into for the benefit of the community.
You just took it upon your self to give an explaination. That's nice of you, but it tells that things were not clear in the first place.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So should scores based on Crinacle measurements be included (and therefore valid) or purged (not valid) ? How is the casual user of this list meant to know this? Yet you refer someone to it without any such caveats.

The auto eq resource is highly valued. That particular list makes zero sense.

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

Leiker535

Not worth the upgrade over the blessing 2 IMO, they are more similar than different. The general consensus of subjective impressions I gathered is that it's a bit overpriced in today's market. More importantly, if you considered the Dusk already better than the Monarch MK2s, I think you should call it a day with harman style tuning and enjoy your Blessings.
graph(1).png

On a side note, most of the kilobuck nonchifi contenders (softears, UM, U64 audio, Audeze [edit: I misplaced softears here, they tend to correlate well with harman pinna]) all tend to have lower and "safer" pinna implementations than their chifi competitors, so if you found the Monarchs muffled, you surely will notice the lesser upfrontedness of those iems' tonalities:

graph(3).png

Last edited:
OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

Not worth the upgrade over the blessing 2 IMO, they are more similar than different. The general consensus of subjective impressions I gathered is that it's a bit overpriced in today's market. More importantly, if you considered the Dusk already better than the Monarch MK2s, I think you call it a day with harman style tuning and enjoy your Blessings.
View attachment 260711

On a side note, most of the kilobuck nonchifi contenders (softears, UM, U64 audio, Audeze) all tend to have lower and "safer" pinna implementations than their chifi competitors, so if you found the Monarchs muffled, you surely will notice the lesser upfrontedness of those iems' tonalities.

I think my goal with the A8s would be to have a custom IEM that’s as close as possible to the Blessing 2 Dusks tuning. Would you say that’s an accurate description of the A8?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I think my goal with the A8s would be to have a custom IEM that’s as close as possible to the Blessing 2 Dusks tuning. Would you say that’s an accurate description of the A8?
I don't think the A8 is custom. It's made to order, but from what I can find online, the shell is universal.

Leiker535

I don't know if Moondrop offers the CIEM option. If they do, sure. One thing to bear in mind is that CIEMs can be a bit of a headache to get right, especially considering getting the fit right between continents (lol). Most people I know didn't get their fit right in the first mold/set, and thus had to make multiple trips to the company to get it right to their ears.

And still, even on the event of getting it right, the lack of a silicon/rubber/foam eartip at the end can change the "default" sound, so the CIEMs may still have a slight deviance from their universal variant. With that in mind, only I'd only seek CIEMs if you really can't stand the universal fit or using tips (some people really have odd ears).

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

I don't think the A8 is custom. It's made to order, but from what I can find online, the shell is universal.
Ah your right. I thought made to order meant custom

asrUser

Try Moondrop Variations. They may be even better than the Dusk.

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

I don't know if Moondrop offers the CIEM option. If they do, sure. One thing to bear in mind is that CIEMs can be a bit of a headache to get right, especially considering getting the fit right between continents (lol). Most people I know didn't get their fit right in the first mold/set, and thus had to make multiple trips to the company to get it right to their ears.

And still, even on the event of getting it right, the lack of a silicon/rubber/foam eartip at the end can change the "default" sound, so the CIEMs may still have a slight deviance from their universal variant. With that in mind, only I'd only seek CIEMs if you really can't stand the universal fit or using tips (some people really have odd ears).
Got it.

I think I’m going to stick with the Blessings lol, that sounds like a headache. The universals are fine, I was just looking for the most noise isolation I can get and I figured that would be custom

Leiker535

Got it.

I think I’m going to stick with the Blessings lol, that sounds like a headache. The universals are fine, I was just looking for the most noise isolation I can get and I figured that would be custom

Not necessarily, a better fit doesn't always mean better isolation. If the iem has a lot of vent holes to alleviate pressure or even is semi-open, a perfect seal will still not isolate very well. On the opposite side, a very shut-in iem may build up uncomfortable pressure levels at the eardrums. If you really want isolation, as in listening in loud environments, the etymotic iems really do put you in another dimension with >18db isolation. They do need EQ IMO though, as they are a bit bass shy and lack treble extension.

GaryH

Major Contributor
You just took it upon your self to give an explaination. That's nice of you, but it tells that things were not clear in the first place.
They were to me, just putting a little effort in to actually understand what I'm looking at. As I said, if anyone has any issues with the ranking table, raise an issue on the GitHub page and Jaakko may consider making some changes if you have sensible suggestions. Complaining on here on the other hand has zero chance of changing anything. Personally I think he's struck the right balance, prioritising Oratory's measurements by removing Crinacle's from the list when they are duplicates of the former (just overlooking the Dusk in this case), yet keeping them when they're not due to the larger number of models Crinacle has measured that can still offer useful information, which I believe is justified considering the reasonable error of his measurements compared to Oratory's as found in Jaakko's analysis.

Last edited:
Top Bottom