• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord DAVE Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 294 60.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 120 24.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 46 9.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 24 5.0%

• Total voters

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Pure objectivity doesn't exist.
Additionally, I am quite happy to go out on a limb and predict that you are a Chord apologist, likely even an owner of the Dave. I freely admit that I could be completely mistaken. You do know how the Internet works right? Finding a lone or more isoltaed data point does not invalidate the date point. How data is collected matters. One million subjective impressions, I couldn't give a fuck, they are untestable. One well done objective analysis, that I care about and weigh far more than a million reviews of people who have already bought into the Coolaid parade and now find themselves having to justify.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Not just the HiFi scene, the same, or similar, could be said of Watches, Cars, etc etc etc. You're on a lost cause.
Again - false analogy.

No one claims expensive watches tell the time better than a cheap ass casio. They are sold as luxury jewelry - and that is what they provide.
No one one sells a car with the performance and comfort of a lada - at the price of a supercar. Car performance and comfort is easily determined by the customer.

The same is not true of "high end" audio. (where high end in this case means expensive). It is impossible for the average customer to determine themselves if an item provides higher (audio) performance. Frequnetly "high end" performs significantly worse than "entry level" (again pricing terms) - yet is sold as "lifting veils" (etc) on your music. This needs to be stopped.

If people want to sell expensive audio as jewellry (eg - expensive housing machined from solid/rare metal etc) and advertise it as such, that is fine. But if they are claiming "better" audio performance, they should damn well be required to back that up with data.

Last edited:

AndrewC

Again - false analogy.

No one claims expensive watches tell the time better than a cheap ass casio. They are sold as luxury jewelry - and that is what they provide.
No one one sells a car with the performance and comfort of a lada - at the price of a supercar. Car performance and comfort is easily determined by the customer.

True.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I've read on Goldensounds homepage that the Dave has 164.000 taps.. and a ESS9038pro has "only" 128taps.

Is this really correct? Because I'm playing around with convolution filters in roon and I'm getting between 20.000 and 299.000 taps and my cpu isn't even breaking a sweat.

So what's the benefit of this really?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Nothing whatsoever.
Keith

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've read on Goldensounds homepage that the Dave has 164.000 taps.. and a ESS9038pro has "only" 128taps.

Is this really correct? Because I'm playing around with convolution filters in roon and I'm getting between 20.000 and 299.000 taps and my cpu isn't even breaking a sweat.

1674941466983.png

No prob on a two year-old $400 NUC

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a way to increase the taps?
I just uploaded the 44.1khz and 48khz wav file and I don't see anything in roon that would allow me to change settings
Running convolution requires that power. It increases with sample rate.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Thing is, all this extra depth and 'soudstage' they go on about, especially when the M-Scaler is inserted, is all but totally lost in their amplifiers, which subjectively (at any volume) seem to dry everything out, diluting so much reverb or venue ambience. I know subjectivity can be a dirty word here, but I've heard the artefact a few times now in complete (electronics) systems by this maker into various speakers now. It's really odd and until proved otherwise, I'd say it transcends level matching as well....

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thing is, all this extra depth and 'soudstage' they go on about, especially when the M-Scaler is inserted, is all but totally lost in their amplifiers
Or it was never there in the first place.

Sokel

Master Contributor

This can be enlightening :

DSJR

Major Contributor
Or it was never there in the first place.
Umm - actually with the music played, I believe it was ;)

No null test evidence of course...

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DSJR

Major Contributor
... of course. ;)
Well, you try it and tell me/us your findings.. At least I went out on numerous occasions and listened, not just on a one-off occasion :D

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, you try it and tell me/us your findings.
My brain isn't able to detect differences beyond 20kHz or below -100dB, there is no need to try.;)

I somehow get the feeling that the number of TAPs might be nothing but this manufacturers scheme to part people from their money.:eek:

Top Bottom