• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO200 MKII DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 65 26.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 156 63.7%

• Total voters

Eulipian

In a market saturated with DACs that are perfect (from an audibility perspective) what is the point of this product?

Second that. After learning a lot from this site about what's necessary, measurable, audible, it seems to my under-educated mind that after about $300 there's not much to gain in terms of sound quality from any box/dongle. After buying a couple inexpensive but well measured DACs, I'm obsessing on headphones now. That seems to be somewhere that there is a lot of variance for the $ and, frankly, where subjective experience means something, even to the tactile experiences of weight, shape, padding, tips, IEM, open, closed, etc.

Kevinfc

As so many are using these DAC’s as preamps, I’d like to see more in depth analysis of the remote control. Spec’s are becoming less relevant, as almost all exceed what can be audibly discerned. That being the case, I’m more interested in how well the remote functions from varying distances and angles, as well as the features and navigation.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Tell that to Kii or the KEF LS60... :) I know it is a completely different value proposition but -personally- I don't believe in this limted-capability box game anymore. Plopping in this box would make zero difference in the overall sound of a real world system.
I can 100% guarantee you that the DSP and D/A conversion sub systems in those speakers aren't even close to this DAC from SMSL in terms of performance. It doesn't matter in the end, but if SMSL's design goal was to design a super high fidelity DAC then a crossover simply isn't an option.

uwotm8

I nearly laughed when saw that "LSX floorstander edition" Lego speaker in person. Will NOT pay such price for anything of that size/drivers:p
Lol it almost gets to Dutch&Dutch territory (and gets annihilated by).

Last edited:

Rewind

I’ll be honest with you my E30 is plenty sufficient when it comes to being good at SINAD and being transparent. See absolutely no reason to see new DACs, since majority of the new ones don’t have the functionality or purpose that would make me want to upgrade.
I think power supply can be a big difference. I like to avoid Switching supplies.

Rewind

6 pages and no mention of DSD performance. I don’t think many members of Audiosciencereview are using their DACs to their fullest potential if nobody is interested in the popping sound that plagues many DACs in between DSD tracks.

holbob

As so many are using these DAC’s as preamps, I’d like to see more in depth analysis of the remote control. Spec’s are becoming less relevant, as almost all exceed what can be audibly discerned. That being the case, I’m more interested in how well the remote functions from varying distances and angles, as well as the features and navigation.

Last time I tried a SMSL Dac, it didn't have direct input - you had to cycle through them. Hopefully that's improved.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
IMD is really well controlled, spurs of hump, rest buried in noise floor?

Bleib

Major Contributor
6 pages and no mention of DSD performance. I don’t think many members of Audiosciencereview are using their DACs to their fullest potential if nobody is interested in the popping sound that plagues many DACs in between DSD tracks.
I don't think DSD is fullest potential, so I never use it

Last time I tried a SMSL Dac, it didn't have direct input - you had to cycle through them. Hopefully that's improved.
It's still the same remote
XQ2-DO200-MK233.jpg

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a criticism of this particular product, but more generally I wonder why in slightly more advanced units like this one, of medium size, they cannot insert double coaxial and optical inputs, it would be infinitely more comfortable for those who have many things to connect , and it seems like a triviality to implement.
For example, only the dx3pro+ topping has dual coaxial inputs, and this was enough to make me buy it
In almost all cases you can feed SPDIF to the AES input via a cable/plug adapter.

prerich

Fine, enjoy your defective DACs with golfing panther score.
I wouldn't call them defective, as they measure out this world...but you could call them deficient, lacking innovation, simplistic, plain Jane ....but defective implies broken. Oh wait ...you're talking about the DSD pop...I have yet to experience that with any DAC that plays DSD in my system...I do have a few DSD files in my collection...but no issues, I've been lucky I guess ‍♂️

Last edited:

Rewind

I wouldn't call them defective, as they measure out this world...but you could call them deficient, lacking innovation, simplistic, plain Jane ....but defective implies broken. Oh wait ...you're talking about the DSD pop...I have yet to experience that with any DAC that plays DSD in my system...I do have a few DSD files in my collection...but no issues, I've been lucky I guess ‍♂️
Yes. The pop is super annoying with the Gustard X16. Hoping the firmware update (in France!) will fix it.

prerich

Yes. The pop is super annoying with the Gustard X16. Hoping the firmware update (in France!) will fix it.
I owned the x16 and never had that issue. I can remember that coming up in the Gustard X16 thread. I sold my x16 as I felt I didnt need MQA, but was attracted to the SU-9N and its various filters and modes (without changing the measurements). Between it and my Ares II I'm done in the DAC area.

Rewind

I owned the x16 and never had that issue. I can remember that coming up in the Gustard X16 thread. I sold my x16 as I felt I didnt need MQA, but was attracted to the SU-9N and its various filters and modes (without changing the measurements). Between it and my Ares II I'm done in the DAC area.
Mine must be from the first batch. Can you hear a difference between X16 and SU-9N with its filter options?

prerich

Mine must be from the first batch. Can you hear a difference between X16 and SU-9N with its filter options?
I can't say as I sold the X16 and used the profits to buy the 9n. I can say that there are slight differences in the modes area (against other modes in the dac)...nothing that is night and day, but there are slight differences. Do I like it better than the x16...yeah, especially the larger, visible display (even though I'd like to see more displays like the MiniDSP Flex...thats good for old man eyes

Rewind

I can't say as I sold the X16 and used the profits to buy the 9n. I can say that there are slight differences in the modes area (against other modes in the dac)...nothing that is night and day, but there are slight differences. Do I like it better than the x16...yeah, especially the larger, visible display (even though I'd like to see more displays like the MiniDSP Flex...thats good for old man eyes
If the filters mainly effect 16-20kHz I think it would be lost on me.
Do you like it better than the X16 because of the sound quality or other aspects, like practicality?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the filters mainly effect 16-20kHz I think it would be lost on me.
Do you like it better than the X16 because of the sound quality or other aspects, like practicality?
A steep fast linear filter is the only accurate choice.

Going full Spock, logic dictates that if filters don’t matter, use the fast linear filter, if filters do matter, use fast linear filter. :)

- Rich

Last edited:

Rewind

A steep fast linear filter is the only accurate choice.

Going full Spock, logic dictates that if filters don’t matter, use it, if filters do matter, use it :)

- Rich
Are you saying I should upgrade?
6FE94EB4-C8BF-40EB-BEB0-CE467278CF6A.png

Top Bottom