• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Article: Understanding Digital Audio Measurements

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope. Blind test beats measurements. I said 'not measured'.
No, blind tests do not beat measurements because the human hearing is much more limited compared to an AP. A blind test comparing two devices may show no audible differences where the APX might reveal differences in SINAD.

phile2

Hi,
Thanks Amir for this nice & big article.

What I noticed is that you point out any distortion/noise etc is created at the DAC chip level & after.
Good to have that in mind.
Based on that great info, we can not bother anymore about fancy digital-to-digital devices upstream this DAC chip.
Although you stated that great point (no impact on SQ linked to the digital chain), they are many devices on the market that promote their capacity to enhance SQ by acting on the digital chain. So many people buying such devices... although it's a complete pitfall to waste money. Marketing power :)
Rgds

phile2

Thanks Sal1950 for your thumb up
but my previous post had to be read the other way around LOL !

of course LOL !
All Amir's measurements based on AP devices are jerk stuff !
THD & SINAD (30years-old stuff !!) may still be relevant on analogue devices
but for digital signal... come on... all results are fun cause same THD or SINAD leads to diff in SQ ! LOL ! => conclusion is obvious => the way the measurement is done is wrong.
Wrong measurement because can not enlight the diff in SQ
LOL..

That's always the same blabla between the "software guys" that shout loud, and the "electrician guy", seen as the labor force by the previous LOL !

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

of course LOL !
All Amir's measurements based on AP devices are jerk stuff !
THD & SINAD (30years-old stuff !!) may still be relevant on analogue devices
but for digital signal... come on... all results are fun cause same THD or SINAD leads to diff in SQ ! LOL ! => conclusion is obvious => the way the measurement is done is wrong.
Wrong measurement because can not enlight the diff in SQ
LOL..

That's always the same blabla between the "software guys" that shout loud, and the "electrician guy", seen as the labor force by the previous LOL !
Can you give a more detailed explanation? How would you do it?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
No problem,
What Sal givith, Sal takith away.

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Dear Amirm,
you did a great job explaining your measurements with simple words. Congrats :)

One thing I missed regarding jitter. You mentioned long cables but did not mention that the reason for jitter (especially in older DAC designs) was the PLL that has to lock to the incoming digital signal that for sure will be damaged by long cables.

In cheap DACs you find one PLL only. This is designed to lock quickly to the input signal and therefore is prone to jitter. Better designs used two PLLs a fast one to quickly lock to the input signal and a slow one (XVCO) that generates the DAC clock. Even better to have a decoupling buffer between boths stages that memorizes some samples so the slow PLL can operate very slow (for example in Apogee Rosetta 200). But even XVCOs have limitations and deliver jitter as the controlling voltage may induce some noise.

Next improvement was to run the DAC with a fixed XTAL clock, completely avoiding PLL jitter in the DAC clock. To achieve that, an asynchrone sample rate converter like the AD1896 was used in many devices in the early days. It uses a digital PLL and its figures are beyond any doubt. Consolingly, they had a bad image in hi-fi circles, unfounded in my view. Looking at the current ESS DACs, SRC is part of the concept and nobody cares any more ;-)

An other solution to avoid PLL induced jitter was streaming. In this case the DAC runs with a fixed XTAL frequency and data is no more delivered by a given clock rate but is pulled from the music server whenever it is needed. With a good power design for the XTAL this completely avoids all jitter generated by PLL. This is also true when using USB as an input as with Audio Class 2 data transmission is asynchrone and triggered by the DAC. This means as far as audio data arrives undamaged the length of the USB cable is without influence. Only ground coupling may be an issue there.

I believe that measuring Jitter in modern DAC designs means that we see how good the XTAL, ground and power design of the DAC is, no more any PLL jitter.

Best DrCWO

Ashoka

A detailed tutorial on how one can characterize the true performance of DACs (whether stand-alone or part of your AVR or A/V processor).

Without any formal training, most of us understand basic analog measurements such as frequency response. The concepts there are intuitive: any deviation from flat amplitude at any frequency shows an anomaly. Step into digital audio such as Digital To Analog Converters (DAC) the game becomes much more complex, spanning many domains of audio from signal processing to psychoacoustics. Do you know what dBFS is? How about composition of a square wave?

You might think digital audio is “perfect” and hence there is no need to measure such devices. That is not the case. While digital data is there forever, the moment you convert it to sound, it is an analog voltage that is ideally accurate to 24 bits. Turns out this is impossible in real life but many DACs fall way short of what can be done. Some DACs even fail to get to 16 bits let alone 24 bits.

Many DAC manufacturers use off-the-shelf DAC chips from the same few silicon providers. Alas, two DAC implementations using identical DAC chips can have very different performance. Sadly, price, brand reputation, designer behind the product, glowing reviews and market adoption do not predict performance. I have tested over 120 DACs so far [now over 220] and the results are all over the place. Some no name low ost DACs have exceptional performance. Others from very well-respected companies retailing for thousands of dollars fail miserably when measured the same way.

To give you a sense of how varied the performance of DACs are, take a look at Figure 1. This is an ordered ranking of “SINAD” ratings for 118 DACs. SINAD is the ratio of signal over noise summed with distortion. The higher the SINAD, the lower the amount of noise and distortion. The range of SINADs in the test DACs in Figure 1 is an incredible 55 dB to 118! Remember, dB is a logarithmic scale so even small differences can be significant.

index.php

Figure 1: SINAD (distortion & noise) rating of a range of products tested at AudioScienceReview.com​

Since there are product variations and test conditions that vary somewhat, I don’t suggest readers look too closely at the SINAD numbers. Instead, go by what “bucket” they fall in based on color-coding. For best performance you want products in the blue bucket and avoid those in red.

We are getting ahead of ourselves though. Let’s dig into what such measurements mean and how to evaluate them.

Instrumentation
Audio measurements are performed using specialized instruments for this purpose. While you can perform some of these measurements using a good audio interface/sound card (ADC) and appropriate software, I have yet to find a combination that replicates the same as what can be done with dedicated audio measurement hardware. These devices run in a “closed loop.” meaning they can change one or two parameters, measure the output of the DAC, and then iterate. This gives us data across a range of operating points which can uncover issues that are not visible with “static” measurements.

The leader in audio instrumentation is Audio Precision. Their analyzers transformed the audio measurement industry back in 1990s and they have continued to maintain their lead until today. Using them means that there is a good chance someone else has access to them and can replicate the measurements. Unfortunately these analyzers are not cheap. The APx555 model that I use has a retail price of $28,000.

There are lower cost models (from other manufacturers such as Prism Sound) but you give up performance. In the context of measuring state-of-the-art DACs, we need to make sure the analyzer’s own distortion and noise are negligible compared to what is being measured. To give you an idea, the APx555 will score above 120 in the SINAD test in Figure 1. It gets there using fancy signal processing and use of two Analog to Digital Converts (ADCs) in parallel. The APx555 is essentially distortionless.

A number of (good) manufactures include measurements from Audio Precision although some are from the older “2700” series system. So learning how the Audio Precision measurements work in this article, will help you understand those specifications too. Of note, the vast majority of companies who provide such detailed graphs perform well and get high praise from me in my reviews. Lack of measurements graphs usually means the company either never measured the device or don’t feel like the measurements provide a positive image of the product. Both are bad news if you are a consumer.

The Dashboard
The APx555 has a real-time mode where the analyzer is constantly measuring the performance of a device. I have configured that so that in a single snapshot, we get a good idea of how well a DAC is performing. I have coined this the “dashboard” and you can see a sample of it in Figure 2. This is a high-performance multi-channel DAC from a small European company called “Okto Research.”
View attachment 43537
Figure 2: Dashboard view of Okto Research DAC8​

This is a USB DAC and the APx555 Audio Precision analyzer is controlling it using that interface. You can tell this in the footnote in green with the term “ASIO.” ASIO is an audio driver interface that the APx555 uses to talk to the USB DAC (it unfortunately does not support any other interface as of this writing). If I were using S/PDIF or Optical interfaces to communicate with the DAC, those would show up instead.

Next to the output interface we see 44100 which is the sampling rate selected. 44100 is the sampling rate for CD and almost all streaming audio services. This can easily be changed and I do that for other tests (e.g. jitter). Since CD-based, 44.1 kHz sampling is so popular, it makes sense to focus on that in our dashboard.

The next text in green says the select input is Analog Balanced and that is exactly what it is. The Okto Research DAC8 only has XLR balanced outputs so that is what I am measuring. If I were testing RCA connections, it would say “unbalanced” there instead.

“200 Kohm” is the input impedance of the Audio Precision analyzer when testing XLR balanced connections. This is a very high impedance meaning the analyzer essentially puts no load on the output of the DAC and usually represents the best performance it can produce. If you have a pre-amp with very low input impedance, you may face issues not represented here although such devices tend to be very rare.

Next bit of text is not important (“5.000 Vrms”). That just says what the scale in the top left pane is. So ignore that.

The last text in the status line is very important as it shows the measurement bandwidth. Even though the APx555 analyzer is designed for audio, it can measure well outside of our hearing range to 1 Megahertz. I use such wide bandwidth when testing class D amplifiers as they create switching noise in hundreds of kilohertz. For DACs in the Dashboard view, I limit the bandwidth to 22.4 kHz, which is just above normal hearing range. And that is what you see in that text for the upper bound.

The lower band says “AC (< 10 Hz)” means that we are NOT measuring down to DC (0 Hz). A DC offset can upset the measurement system so unless there is a good reason for it (e.g. measuring frequency response), I use the “AC” measurement filter that ignores extremely low frequencies below 10 Hz.

The above are the test parameters. Everything else is analysis of what is coming out of the DAC. Let’s dig into those.

On top left we see a waveform. The digital generator in APx555 has been set to output a 1 kHz tone and that is what we see in that waveform display. The sample depth is 24 bits, so we have extreme accuracy here. The DAC takes these “perfect” digital samples and generates an analog waveform from it. That is what we are looking at in the top left. I call this the “time domain” display to contrast it from the FFT, which is the frequency domain of the same signal (explained later).
View attachment 43538
Figure 3: Audio Precision APx555 digital audio generator panel.​

I have shown the digital frequency generator panel in APx555 in Figure 3. As you see, I can set the Frequency to whatever I want. 1 kHz is the industry norm for a lot of measurements so that is what I am using in this dashboard view.

The “level” or amplitude of the signal has a funny scale: dBFS. This stands for decibels (dB) from Full Scale. In digital domain, there is no concept of voltages. Everything is just a number. So we rely on a relative, logarithmic scale. 0 dBFS is full amplitude within the format we have set (24-bit PCM). Since this is a dB scale, every reduction of the dBFS by 6 dB represents halving the analog output voltage of the DAC.

You often read in my reviews that so and so dB value is so many bits. We can convert dB to equivalent number of bits (ENOB) by simply dividing the dB value by 6 (this is a bit of approximation). So if I set the digital generator to -120 dBFS (remember 0 dBFS is maximum so all allowable numbers are negative or less than max), it means I am telling the DAC to reproduce a voltage that is represented by 120/6 = 20 bits. If I set it to -96 dBFS then I am asking the DAC to output a level closest to what 16-bit audio samples would represent (16 * 6 = 96 dB).

For the dashboard as shown, the test is usually at 0 dBFS. I say usually because when measuring RCA/unbalanced output we like to see a nominal voltage output from DAC of around 2 volts. Anything less would mean that the DAC may not have enough output to drive your amplifier to max power levels depending on its sensitivity. For the balanced XLR output, this doubles to 4 volts. In our sample dashboard we see 3.1316 volts (RMS), which is too low. The company in question has taken this feedback and plans to release products at 4 volts.

If the DAC output voltage is higher than these nominal values, I often reduce the dBFS incrementally to get it down to where they should be. This sometimes reduces the distortion levels and improves SINAD. Sometimes it doesn’t make a difference.

The next “meter” is on the bottom left and represents the measured frequency from the output of the DAC. Recall that we told our DAC to produce a 1 kHz tone. What we see coming from the DAC is a bit off at 0.99998 kHz. The reason for this is that all DACs have a local clock that has some accuracy error. In this case, it is running a hair slow. This is why if you put two DACs playing side by side, they can drift away from each other over time. This field is informative and usually doesn’t show an issue.

Now let’s focus on the all-important “FFT” window on top right. That is a mathematical conversion of the waveform to the left (the sine wave) into its fundamental components in frequency domain. We think that we told the DAC to produce a 1 kHz tone and that is exactly what it has done. That assumes a perfect DAC that is perfectly linear meaning it produces outputs with infinite accuracy to what is being input. All DACs have conversion errors which create non-linearity. This means that a single sine wave going in, will result in that sine wave coming out plus harmonic distortion (multiples of the source frequency). In addition to harmonic distortion, we also have noise and often spurious tones mixed in that are unrelated to what we asked the DAC to do.

Because the non-linearities in audio are quite small relative to the main signal (a 1 kHz tone in this case), we cannot see them in the sine wave in top right (time domain signal). Conversion to frequency domain nicely takes apart the output of the DAC into subcomponents showing every distortion and spurious tone with ease.

The dashboard view shows that the DAC being measured has a second harmonic (2 kHz) at below -130 dB (1 kHz signal has been set to 0 dB). Translating this into bit depth, the second harmonic distortion is below 21 bits of resolution. This is well below an audible level as our best-case hearing has dynamic range of 116 dB. In that regard, even the taller third harmonic at -128 dB or so is by far below audibility levels. In other words, this DAC is objectively and provably transparent to our hearing when it comes to distortion.

When creating FFT displays, we tell the system how many audio samples to use. In the case of the dashboard, this is set to 32000, which gives very good resolution to see distortion spikes. We can increase this number to over 1 million in APx555. I use 256,000 when showing a dedicated 1 kHz FFT spectrum as seen in Figure 4. The DAC in this test has much so we see a “spray” (series) of distortion spikes, which are worse in the blue channel.

For this measurement, I have set the maximum frequency much higher allowing us to see what is above our hearing range of 20 kHz. We see a few “spurs” (spurious tones) between 45 kHz and 50 kHz. While not audible, good engineering means that the DAC would not spit out such unwanted frequencies.
View attachment 43539
Figure 4: FFT spectrum of distortion and noise in a DAC.​

Let’s go back to our dashboard and look at the THD+N Ratio meter. This is a single figure of merit for audio gear that has been around forever. The measurement was performed by playing a 1 kHz tone, capturing that output, and filtering out the 1 kHz with a very narrow notch filter. Anything that remains is either distortion or noise. Sum them all and you get THD+N. With our modern instrumentation we can choose any frequency for testing but since the tradition is 1 kHz, I have stayed with that in the dashboard.

Important note: you may be tempted to read the DAC noise level from the noisy part of the graph/floor in the FFT. DO NOT DO THIS! The true noise floor of a DAC is much higher. When we perform FFT, the more points we use, the lower the noise floor becomes. This is called “FFT gain” and is a good thing as it allows us to see distortion products that may be well buried inside the noise floor of the DAC (and ADC in the measurement gear). The gain can be as much as 30 dB to 40 dB lower than reality! Math can be used to back out this gain using the number of points.

Instead of doing that, we can measure the sum of distortions+noise in the form of THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise). This is what is shown in our THD+N Ratio meter below the FFT. THD+N is a very common figure of merit quoted in many product specs.

Below THD+N is the SINAD figure I referenced earlier. SINAD is actually the same value as THD+N but expressed in dB relative to the signal amplitude. This is good because we can, at a glance, compare the SINAD to our hearing dynamic range of 116 dB and know if we are better or worse than it. This is a back of an envelope computation for audibility so don’t completely run with it. Use it as a first order approximation. If a DAC has better SINAD than 116 dB, then we have very high confidence of transparency. If the SINAD is below 116 dB, then the nature of the distortion spectrum will tell us if the distortion is audible or not (i.e. we have to look at the FFT).

THD+N Versus Frequency
Our dashboard view is a performance snapshot at 1 kHz. Performance of devices in general varies as source frequency changes. It is very easy to create such a “sweep” in APx555, having it vary the digital generator source frequency and measuring the THD+N at that point from the output of the DAC. You can see this in Figure 5.

View attachment 43540
Figure 5: THD+N (distortion+noise) versus Source Frequency.​

Note that the measurement in Figure 5 has a bandwidth of 90 kHz unlike the dashboard, which uses 22.4 kHz. Why so much higher? Harmonics are multiples of a frequency. In the dashboard, we use a 1 kHz tone so its multiples all the way to 22 kHz can be captured in 22.4 kHz of bandwidth. Here we are going up to 20 kHz in source frequency so if we stop at just 22.4 kHz, just as well, we won’t capture any harmonic distortion as the second harmonic is at 40 kHz. By using 90 kHz bandwidth we are able to capture up to a fourth harmonic of 20 kHz, which measures most of the distortion we are going to see.

Alas, the higher bandwidth of 90 kHz means that we not only capture harmonic distortion but also any ultrasonic noise and spurious tones. We can see this once again in Figure 6 if we measure the Schiit BiFrost DAC.

View attachment 43541
Figure 6: THD+N versus frequency for a lower performing DAC.​

The rise in THD+N in one channel is most likely due to unwanted ultrasonic tones than actual harmonic distortion. Notice how much worse that graph in blue is compared to the DAC in red which is a low-cost ($99) bare board DAC (“Khadas Tone Board”).

The most important lesson is that every THD+N graph or specification must include the bandwidth used for measurement. Otherwise the data cannot be interpreted.

Note that some manufactures and reviewers use “a-weighting” when stating THD+N. This is a standardized filter that equalizes the output of the DAC to have less amplitude at low and high frequencies. This is said to better match our hearing. Alas the graph is a too simplistic view of our hearing so I don’t use it. In almost all cases, a-weighting reduces the THD+N so it is popular with manufacturers.

Jitter and Noise
Most audiophiles have heard of the term jitter as marketing material for DACs is peppered with it. Typical specs might be “10 picoseconds of jitter” or a statement that some “femtoclock” is used for the DAC oscillator. Please ignore all such talk! For one thing, we don’t care how accurate a DAC clock is. I can slow down or speed up music by 0.1 percent and you would have no idea. That picosecond number is worthless because jitter comes in all forms and it is the nature of it which determines audibility, not what its single value sum total is.

Note also that often manufacturers give jitter specs for the clock that drives the DAC. This is of no interest to us as we don’t listen to that clock. We listen to the analog output of the DAC. That analog output may or may not be influenced by some variations of the DAC clock. Importantly, jitter and noise can be induced into the output of the DAC that do not originate from the oscillator directly.

Using FFT analysis we can tease out all the unwanted jitter, noise and spurious tones from the analog output of the DAC. We could use any sine wave we want but since jitter increases proportionally with frequency, we would want to use a higher frequency than 1 kHz we have focused on until now.

The late Julian Dunn (one our luminaries in digital audio) proposed a test signal called the J-test (jitter-test) that has become the industry standard. I am going to explain what it is but if you don’t understand it, it is fine. I will teach you what the graph shows regardless.

The J-test signal is a square wave that runs at one quarter of our digital audio sampling rate. I use 48 kHz for my jitter test so one quarter of that would be 12 kHz. Notice that I said this is a square wave, not sine wave. If we feed an ideal DAC a 12 kHz digital square wave, we actually get a pure sine wave at 12 kHz! How can this be? A square wave can be decomposed into an infinite number of sine waves that are odd harmonics of each other. So if the primary frequency of square wave is 12 kHz, if we decompose it with FFT, we get 12 kHz, 36 kHz, 60 kHz and so on. A DAC running at 48 kHz sampling truncates everything above half its sampling rate or 24 kHz. This means that the third harmonic (36 kHz) and higher all get truncated leaving us with one sine wave: 12 kHz.

So yes, if we band limit a square wave, we turn it into a pure sine wave. To demonstrate this in a real system, we can ask the APx555 to generate a 1 kHz square wave and show its spectrum using FFT. As you see in Figure 7 we have our primary/fundamental frequency of at 1 kHz, followed by a sequence of odd harmonics at 3, 5, 7 kHz, etc.

View attachment 43542
Figure 7: Spectrum of a 1 kHz Square Wave.​

Why do we use a square wave if all we want is a sine wave? The reason is that by using a fixed digital value representing the top and bottom of a square wave, we have full control over the digital samples. We can use that knowledge by picking digital values that can be manipulated easily unlike fractional values representing a sine wave. To wit, a j-test signal embeds a second square wave inside the first one that causes all the PCM bits to flip every so many Hertz (250 Hz for 48 kHz).

For my testing, I use 24-bit j-test signal. This means that the 250 Hz square wave levels correspond to the rightmost bit of the 24-bit signal. Relative to full amplitude at 0 dBFS, the 250 Hz will be at -144 dB as shown in Figure 8.

View attachment 43543
Figure 8: Spectrum of J-test jitter test signal.​

Note that the vertical scale is dBFS which means we are analyzing digital samples here, not analog. This is why the noise floor is at a whopping -180 dBFS! A real DAC will struggle to do better than 20 bits so when measuring its analog output, we won’t be seeing any of the 250 Hz spikes.

Why put the 250 Hz square wave in there if we never see it in the output of the real DAC? When J-test was invented, it was designed to find jitter induced when long runs of AES or S/PDIF cables were used. The toggling would cause all the bits to shift from one value to another, exaggerating sources of jitter there.

Most of us use USB or HDMI for audio over short cables so the above cable sensitivity is not a concern for us. What is a concern for us is if toggling all those bits inside a DAC causes the analog output of the DAC to change to the same tune. In other words, it is possible for digital activity in a not-so-well-designed DAC to bleed into its sensitive analog stage. Figure 9 shows an example of such interference. We have our 12 kHz pure tone, as we should. But we also get a symmetrical set of spikes that are reduced in amplitude with odd multiples of 250 Hz, telling us it is the square wave in J-test causing it.

View attachment 43544
Figure 9: Spectrum of j-test signal from analog output of the DAC showing 250 Hz jitter.​

If you couldn’t follow the previous explanation, that is fine. Whenever you see a j-test graph, focus on everything other than the main spike in the middle. These other tones, or noises are all unwanted.

Linearity
The job of every audio DAC is to convert a digital sample to corresponding analog value. This sounds easy but as levels get lower and lower, the DAC may have difficulty producing such analog voltages accuracy. The test for this is called linearity. A pure test tone is played and an analog voltage of the DAC captured. In order to exclude distortion and spurious responses, a very narrow filter excludes all but the test tone. To make the graph work, we sample a high output level (-20 dBFS in my testing) and compare everything to that (scaled of course). In an ideal case, we get a flat line as is the case for the Okto Research DAC8 in Figure 10.
View attachment 43545
Figure 10: Linearity of DAC8 showing near perfect response down to 120 dBFS (20 bits).​

Most DACs do well in Linearity test but there seems to have been a trend to go back to so called R2R DACs which tend to fail this test miserably if not exceptionally well implemented as we see in Figure 11:

View attachment 43546
Figure 11: Example of a DAC showing very poor linearity, losing accuracy at just -63 dBFS or about 10 bits.​

16-bit audio has a dynamic range of 96 dB so as a minimum we want to see a linearity that is ruler flat/0 dB up to at least that level.

Multitone Testing
An incorrect criticism against audio measurements is that we usually use a single tone and hence the result can’t possibly apply to music, which has countless tones. The argument misses the case that if a DAC distorts one tone, it will just as well distort one thousand. Anyway, to deal with the criticism, we can run more tones. In my case, I run 32 simultaneous tones at a sampling rate of 192 kHz. An ideal response would be just those 32 tones and nothing else. Nothing is perfect though so we get lots of extra spikes and raised noise floor when the DAC has a lot of distortion as seen in Figure 12.

View attachment 43547
Figure 12: example of a DAC with high harmonic distortion.​

We often call what is between the main tones “grass.” As such the less grass between the tones, the better. Figure 13 shows an example of a a very well performing DAC.
View attachment 43548
Figure 13: example of a DAC with very little harmonic/intermodulation distortion.​

Intermodulation Distortion
Whenever we use more than one test tone, the resulting distortions shown are called intermodulation. The two tones interact with each other in a non-linear system and produce extra tones proportional to these tones. What is shown is not really different than harmonic distortion but has one key value: we can see all the distortions within the audible band. With harmonic distortion, we need to have wider bandwidth to capture the harmonics of anything above 11 kHz.

Over the years and decades, different sets of tones have been promoted to be used for measuring intermodulation. I use the SMPTE version, which is 60 Hz plus 7 kHz. The 60 Hz tone is useful because some devices have trouble reproducing lower frequencies (due to lack of a power supply current reservoir, for example). The 7 kHz is the opposite and tests the ability of the DAC to reproduce higher frequencies than 1 kHz we typically use for audio testing.

Figure 14 shows an example of a DAC (in red) that has very low intermodulation distortion. The graph is split into two domains: the declining and rising portion. The intermodulation test starts with our signal pairs at very low levels (-60 dBFS). As a result, noise dominates the measurement as indicated by the fact that when we increase the signal sources (less negative dBFS values), the measured “distortion” reduces. It is not the distortion that is reducing but the amount of noise captured in the intermodulation distortion detector. At some value, the level of noise becomes negligible and we hit the floor in intermodulation (noise +) distortion.

As we keep increasing the amplitude of our IMD tone pairs, some DACs start to produce increasingly more distortion and that shows up in the IMD curve reversing direction and going back up. In the case of the DAC in red, this occurs around -7 dBFS. Fortunately this is a very well behaved DAC and the rise is very slight until we get to the full value (0 dBFS).

View attachment 43549
Figure 14: example of good intermodulation (red) and not so good (green/pink).​

Contrast that with the DAC in green/pink where it not only has higher noise level (as seen by the higher position of the curve in its downward segment) but has distortion that sets in around -17 dBFS and keeps getting worse. This DAC uses an output amplifier (“buffer”) without feedback which usually translates into higher distortion levels.

After testing countless DACs an interesting pattern emerged with DAC products that use a DAC chip from ESS, which is one of the major silicon providers. Take a look at the intermodulation distortion of the DAC in green in Figure 15.

View attachment 43550
Figure 15: example of intermodulation distortion at mid-levels from ESS DACs.​

Notice how the curve all of a sudden starts to rise around -45 dB but then returns back to normal around -10 dB. In other words, such DACs have unusually high intermodulation distortion when we have intermediate digital audio samples, not maximum as is usually the case. This occurs in so many ESS DAC chip-based designs that I have coined the term “ESS IMD hump.” The rising distortion shows up in vast majority of DACs using this series of ESS chips but interestingly a few notable designs manage to get it right such as Benchmark Design DAC3 and OPPO UDP-205.

Reconstruction Filter Response
Sampling theorem mandates a filter on the output of the DAC to get rid of “out of band” (high frequency) spurious response. DAC chip and system designers resort to different algorithms for this low-pass filter, as there are tradeoffs with respect to how fast the out of band data is filtered out and the flatness of the in-band spectrum. In addition, it is fashionable these days to design filters that have certain characteristics in the time domain (e.g. no ringing prior to an impulse).

To test for the filter response, we feed the DAC random white noise, which naturally has infinite bandwidth. The response of the low pass filter becomes obvious once we capture the output of the DAC and convert it to the frequency domain using FFT. Figure 16 shows an example of this as I change the filter settings in the DAC.

View attachment 43551
Figure 16: example of different DAC output filters.​

The audibility impact of such filters is likely very low to non-existent so I don’t put a lot of value on this test.

Square Wave Testing
As I noted in the description of the low-pass filter in the DAC, there is interest in using filters that have certain time domain response. To detect this behavior, we use a square wave, which also has infinite bandwidth (odd harmonics to infinity). Classic filters used in DACs “ring” (oscillate) up and down before and after the sharp transitions in the square wave signal as seen in Figure 17. Note that a square wave (or impulse signal used as a substitute) does not exist in real life. Nothing in nature suddenly goes from 0 to a super high value in one sample. So be careful in buying into the marketing line of such and such time domain response is better.

View attachment 43552
Figure 17: square wave response of a DAC showing classic ringing before and after the transition from low to high and vice versa.​

Aside from the filter characteristic, square wave tones often show other problems such as clipping of the top of the signal. Figure 18 shows an example of this.
View attachment 43553
Figure 18: example of a DAC which clips the tops of the waveform.​

This should not happen. The likely cause is internal math that doesn’t allow for an overflow above a maximum digital value.

Summary
I am hoping that by now you have a better understanding of how the performance of DACs (whether stand-alone or part of your AVR or A/V processor) can be characterized. As much as we like to assume DAC technology has matured, there are many subpar implementations. Price seems to be no predictor of performance. There are $99 DACs that outperform multi-thousand-dollar DACs by a wide margin. Seek out measurements of DACs so that you know how well engineered it is. Strive for performance that assures transparency with respect to audible noise and distortion.

Note: this article was published earlier this year in Widescreen Review Magazine.

Amir Majidimehr is the founder of audio/video/integration/automation company, Madrona Digital (madronadigital.com). Prior to that, he spent over 30 years in the computer and broadcast/consumer video industries at leading companies from Sony to Microsoft, always pushing to advance the state-of-the-art in delivery and consumption of digital media. Technologies developed in his teams are shipped in billions of devices from leading game consoles and phones to every PC in the world and are mandatory in such standards as Blu-ray Disc. He retired as Corporate Vice President at Microsoft in 2007 to pursue other interests, among which is a site dedicated to audio reviews and science called AudioScienceReview.com.
Not for dummies

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Baffling.
Yep
"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information? "Peter Aczel"

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do people trust their surgeon, trust their car mechanic, trust their ISP provider and even trust the restaurant's cook, but find it necessary to argue with someone who knows more than they do about certain aspects of audio?
How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?
I don't think it's surprising at all if we think about it. Humans have a long history of WANTING to believe. Think "Heaven's Gate", David Koresh, Jim Jones, a zillion different religions throughout history, current and past political trends.
- Then, the purveyors of snake oil parade scientific sounding blah blah blah, and may actually be degreed themselves, and may be speaking the literal truth about say the design of a cable or a power filter...magically avoiding any actual measurement showing any audible difference. And by now people, we can measure differences in waveforms to far far more than anything we could possibly hear*
- Then you get the I KNOW WHAT I'M HEARING and the I TRUST MY EARS folks, who get incredibly offended at the mere possibility that results they hear could be from psychological effects. I don't get that...I guess nobody likes to think they are wrong/fooled.

*please note I am NOT saying we know how to measure every parameter that might be audible. Heck we don't even bother to measure some like noise modulation any more! But when we can measure waveforms sampled at what are we up to 384 kHz and down to fractions of a zillionthvolt, please don't try to tell me with a straight face that differences smaller than that might have some audible consequence to our mood, weather, sobriety, room reflections, and psychological factor affected hearing.

RamiroColasurdo

Spanish translation of Amir's message.

Comprender las mediciones de audio digital.

Un tutorial detallado sobre cómo se puede caracterizar el verdadero rendimiento de los DAC (ya sean independientes o parte de tu procesador AVR o A/V).

Sin ningún entrenamiento formal, la mayoría de nosotros entendemos las mediciones analógicas básicas, como la respuesta de frecuencia. Los conceptos son intuitivos: cualquier desviación de la amplitud plana a cualquier frecuencia muestra una anomalía. Entrar en el audio digital, como pasa con los convertidores digitales a analógicos (DAC), el juego se vuelve mucho más complejo, abarcando muchos dominios de audio, desde el procesamiento de señales hasta la psicoacústica. ¿Sabes qué es el dBFS? ¿Qué tal la composición de una onda cuadrada?

Podrías pensar que el audio digital es “perfecto", y por lo tanto no hay necesidad de medir dichos dispositivos. Ese no es el caso. Si bien los datos digitales están ahí para siempre, en el momento en que los conviertes los datos en sonido, es un voltaje analógico que es idealmente preciso a 24 bits. Resulta que esto es imposible en la vida real, pero muchos DAC están muy por debajo de lo que se puede hacer. Algunos DAC incluso no llegan a 16 bits y mucho menos a 24 bits.

Muchos fabricantes de DAC utilizan chips DAC listos para usar de los mismos pocos proveedores de silicio. Por desgracia, dos implementaciones de DAC que utilizan chips DAC idénticos pueden tener un rendimiento muy diferente. Lamentablemente, el precio, la reputación de la marca, el diseñador detrás del producto, las críticas brillantes y la adopción del mercado no predicen el rendimiento. He probado más de 120 DAC hasta ahora [ahora más de 220] y los resultados están por todas partes… Algunos DAC de bajo nombre tienen un rendimiento excepcional. Otros de empresas muy respetadas que venden al publico por miles de dólares fracasan miserablemente cuando se miden de la misma manera.

Para darte una idea de lo variado que es el rendimiento de los DAC, echa un vistazo a la Figura 1. Esta es una clasificación ordenada de calificaciones "SINAD" para 118 DAC. SINAD es la relación entre señal y ruido sumada con distorsión. Cuanto mayor sea el SINAD, menor será la cantidad de ruido y distorsión. ¡El rango de SINAD en los DAC de prueba de la Figura 1 es de un increíble 55 dB a 118dB! Recuerda, dB es una escala logarítmica, por lo que incluso las pequeñas diferencias pueden ser significativas.

Best portable battery operated DAC headphone amplifier reviewed.png

Figura 1: Clasificación SINAD (distorsión y ruido) de una gama de productos probados en AudioScienceReview.com

Dado que hay variaciones de productos y condiciones de prueba que varían un poco, no sugiero que los lectores miren demasiado de cerca los números de SINAD. En su lugar, ve por el "bloque" en el que caen según la codificación de colores. Para obtener el mejor rendimiento, quieres productos en el bloque azul y evita los que están en rojo.

Sin embargo, nos estamos adelantando. Veamos qué significan esas mediciones y cómo evaluarlas.

Instrumental

Las mediciones de audio se realizan utilizando instrumentos especializados para este propósito. Si bien puede realizar algunas de estas mediciones utilizando una buena interfaz de audio/tarjeta de sonido (ADC) y el software apropiado, todavía tengo que encontrar una combinación que replique lo mismo que lo que se puede hacer con el hardware de medición de audio dedicado. Estos dispositivos se ejecutan en un " bucle cerrado", lo que significa que pueden cambiar uno o dos parámetros, medir la salida del DAC y luego repetir. Esto nos proporciona datos en una gama de puntos de operación que pueden descubrir problemas que no son visibles con las mediciones "estáticas".

El líder en instrumentación para mediciones de audio, es Audio Precision. Sus analizadores transformaron la industria de la medición de audio en la década de 1990 y han seguido manteniendo su liderazgo hasta hoy. Usarlos significa que hay una buena probabilidad de que alguien más tenga acceso a ellos y pueda replicar las mediciones. Desafortunadamente, estos analizadores no son baratos. El modelo APx555 que uso tiene un precio de venta al público de 28.000 dólares.

Hay modelos de menor costo (de otros fabricantes como Prism Sound), pero renuncias al rendimiento. En el contexto de la medición de DACs de última generación, necesitamos asegurarnos de que la propia distorsión y el ruido del analizador sean insignificantes en comparación con lo que se está midiendo. Para darte una idea, el APx555 obtendrá una puntuación superior a 120 en la prueba SINAD de la Figura 1. Llega allí usando un procesamiento de señal elegante y el uso de dos convertidores analógicos a digitales (ADC) en paralelo. El APx555 es esencialmente un equipo sin distorsión.

Varios fabricantes (buenos) incluyen mediciones de Audio Precision, aunque algunos son del antiguo sistema de la serie "2700". Así que aprender cómo funcionan las mediciones del Audio Precision en este artículo, también te ayudará a entender esas especificaciones. Cabe destacar que la gran mayoría de equipo de las empresas que proporcionan gráficos tan detallados funcionan bien y reciben grandes elogios de mi parte en mis reseñas. La falta de gráficos de medición generalmente significa que la empresa nunca midió el dispositivo o no siente que las mediciones proporcionen una imagen positiva del producto. Ambas son malas noticias si eres un consumidor.

El tablero

El APx555 tiene un modo en tiempo real en el que el analizador mide constantemente el rendimiento de un dispositivo. Lo he configurado para que en una sola instantánea tengamos una buena idea del rendimiento de un DAC. He acuñado estas mediciones como el "panel" y puedes ver una muestra de él en la Figura 2. Este es un DAC multicanal de alto rendimiento de una pequeña empresa europea llamada "Okto Research".

Figure 2 Dashboard.png

Figura 2: Vista del panel de control de Okto Research DAC8

Este es un DAC USB y el analizador Audio Precision APx555 lo está controlando usando esa interfaz. Puedes ver esto en las nota a pie de página; en verde con el término "ASIO". ASIO es una interfaz de controlador de audio que el APx555 utiliza para hablar con el DAC via USB (desafortunadamente no es compatible con ninguna otra interfaz en este momento). Si estuviera usando interfaces S/PDIF o entradas ópticas para comunicarme con el DAC, esas aparecerían en en la descripción de entradas y salidas.

Junto a la interfaz de salida vemos 44100, que es la frecuencia de muestreo seleccionada. 44100 es la frecuencia de muestreo para CD y casi todos los servicios de transmisión de audio. Esto se puede cambiar fácilmente y lo hago para otras pruebas (por ejemplo, jitter). Dado que el muestreo basado en CD de 44,1 kHz es tan popular, tiene sentido centrarse en eso en nuestro panel de control.

El siguiente texto en verde dice que la entrada de selección es “Análoga Balanceada” y eso es exactamente lo que es. El Okto Research DAC8 solo tiene salidas XLR balanceadas, así que eso es lo que estoy midiendo. Si estuviera probando conexiones RCA, diría "Desbalanceado" allí en su lugar.

"200 Kohm" es la impedancia de entrada del analizador Audio Precisión al probar las conexiones balanceadas XLR. Esta es una impedancia muy alta, lo que significa que el analizador esencialmente no carga la salida del DAC y generalmente representa el mejor rendimiento que puede producir. Si tiene un preamplificador con una impedancia de entrada muy baja, es posible que se enfrente a problemas no representados aquí, aunque tales dispositivos tienden a ser muy raros.

El siguiente fragmento de texto no es importante ("5.000 Vrms"). Eso solo dice cuál es la escala en el panel superior izquierdo. Así que ignora eso.

El último texto de la línea de estado es muy importante, ya que muestra el ancho de banda de medición. A pesar de que el analizador APx555 está diseñado para audio, puede medir bien fuera de nuestro rango auditivo a 1 megahercio. Utilizo un ancho de banda tan amplio al probar amplificadores de clase D, ya que crean ruido de conmutación en cientos de kilohercios. Para los DAC en la vista del panel de control, limito el ancho de banda a 22,4 kHz, que está justo por encima del rango auditivo normal. Y eso es lo que ves en ese texto para el límite superior de análisis.

La banda inferior dice "AC (< 10 Hz)" significa que NO estamos midiendo hasta DC (0 Hz). Un desplazamiento de CC puede alterar el sistema de medición, por lo que a menos que haya una buena razón para ello (por ejemplo, la respuesta de frecuencia de medición), uso el filtro de medición "AC" que ignora las frecuencias extremadamente bajas por debajo de 10 Hz.

Los siguientes son los parámetros de la prueba.

Todo lo demás es un análisis de lo que sale del DAC. Vamos a profundizar en esos.

En la parte superior izquierda vemos una forma de onda. El generador digital en APx555 se ha configurado para emitir un tono de 1 kHz y eso es lo que vemos en esa pantalla de forma de onda. La profundidad de la muestra es de 24 bits, por lo que tenemos una precisión extrema aquí. El DAC toma estas muestras digitales "perfectas" y genera una forma de onda analógica a partir de ellas. Eso es lo que estamos viendo en la parte superior izquierda. Llamo a esto la pantalla de "dominio del tiempo" para contrastarlo desde el FFT, que es el dominio de frecuencia de la misma señal (explicado más adelante).

Figure 3.png

Figura 3: Panel del generador de audio digital Audio Precision APx555.

He mostrado el panel del generador de frecuencia digital en APx555 en la Figura 3. Como ves, puedo establecer la frecuencia en lo que quiera. 1 kHz es la norma de la industria para muchas mediciones, así que eso es lo que estoy usando en esta vista del panel de control.

El "nivel" o amplitud de la señal tiene una escala divertida: dBFS. Esto significa decibelios (dB) de escala completa. En el dominio digital, no hay concepto de voltajes. Todo es solo un número. Así que confiamos en una escala logarítmica relativa. 0 dBFS es la amplitud completa dentro del formato que hemos establecido (PCM de 24 bits). Dado que se trata de una escala de dB, cada reducción del dBFS en 6 dB representa reducir a la mitad el voltaje de salida analógico del DAC.

A menudo lees en mis reseñas que el valor de dB es de muchas tipos. Podemos convertir dB a un número equivalente de bits (ENOB) simplemente dividiendo el valor de dB por 6 (esto es un poco de aproximación). Así que si configuro el generador digital en -120 dBFS (recuerde que 0 dBFS es máximo, por lo que todos los números permitidos son negativos o menores que el máximo), significa que le estoy diciendo al DAC que reproduzca un voltaje que está representado por 120/6 = 20 bits. Si lo configuro en -96 dBFS, entonces le pido al DAC que efíe un nivel más cercano a lo que representarían las muestras de audio de 16 bits (16 * 6 = 96 dB).

Para el panel de control como se muestra, la prueba suele estar en 0 dBFS. Digo generalmente porque al medir la salida RCA/desbalanceada nos gusta ver una salida de voltaje nominal del DAC de alrededor de 2 voltios. Cualquier cosa menos significaría que el DAC puede no tener suficiente salida para llevar su amplificador a los niveles de potencia máximos dependiendo de su sensibilidad. Para la salida XLR balanceada, esto se duplica a 4 voltios. En nuestro panel de muestra vemos 3,1316 voltios (RMS), que es demasiado bajo. La empresa en cuestión ha recibido estos comentarios y planea lanzar productos a 4 voltios.

Si el voltaje de salida DAC es más alto que estos valores nominales, a menudo bajo el dBFS gradualmente para reducirlo a donde deberían estar. Esto a veces reduce los niveles de distorsión y mejora el desempeño SINAD. A veces no hace diferencias…

El siguiente "medidor" está en la parte inferior izquierda y representa la frecuencia medida a partir de la salida del DAC. Recuerde que le dijimos a nuestro DAC que produjera un tono de 1 kHz. Lo que vemos viniendo del DAC está un poquito movido a 0.99998 kHz. La razón de esto es que todos los DAC tienen un reloj local interno que tiene algún error de precisión. En este caso, esta lento por un pelo. Es por eso que si pones dos DAC tocando uno al lado del otro, pueden desfasarse el uno del otro con el tiempo. Este campo es informativo y generalmente no muestra ningún problema.

Ahora centrémonos en la importante ventana "FFT" en la parte superior derecha. Esa es una conversión matemática de la forma de onda de la izquierda (la onda sinusoidal) en sus componentes fundamentales en el dominio de la frecuencia. Le dijimos al DAC que produjera un tono de 1 kHz y eso es exactamente lo que ha hecho. Eso supone un DAC perfecto que es perfectamente lineal, lo que significa que produce salidas con una precisión infinita a lo que se le está introduciendo. Todos los DAC tienen errores de conversión que crean no linealidad. Esto significa que una sola onda sinusoidal que entra, dará como resultado esa onda sinusoidal que salga, más la distorsión armónica (múltiplos de la frecuencia de origen). Además de la distorsión armónica, también tenemos ruido y, a menudo, tonos espurios mezclados que no están relacionados con lo que le pedimos al DAC.

Debido a que las no linealidades en el audio son bastante pequeñas en relación con la señal principal (un tono de 1 kHz en este caso), no podemos verlas en la onda sinusoidal en la parte superior derecha (señal de dominio de tiempo). La conversión al dominio de frecuencia desmonta muy bien la salida del DAC en subcomponentes que muestran cada distorsión y tono espurio con facilidad.

La vista del panel muestra que el DAC que se está midiendo tiene un segundo armónico (2 kHz) por debajo de -130 dB (la señal de 1 kHz se ha establecido en 0 dB). Traduciendo esto en profundidad de bits, la segunda distorsión armónica está por debajo de 21 bits de resolución. Esto está muy por debajo de un nivel audible, ya que nuestra audición en el mejor caso tiene un rango dinámico de 116 dB. En ese sentido, incluso el tercer armónico más alto a -128 dB más o menos está muy por debajo de los niveles de audibilidad. En otras palabras, este DAC es objetiva y demostrablemente transparente para nuestra audición cuando se trata de distorsión.

Al crear la pantalla FFT, le decimos al sistema cuántas muestras de audio usar. En el caso del tablero, esto se establece en 32000, lo que da una muy buena resolución para ver los picos de distorsión. Podemos aumentar este número a más de 1 millón en el APx555. Utilizo 256.000 cuando muestro un espectro FFT dedicado de 1 kHz, como se ve en la Figura 4. El DAC en esta prueba tiene muchos, así que vemos un "spray" (serie) de picos de distorsión, que son peores en el canal azul.

Para esta medición, he establecido la frecuencia máxima mucho más alta, lo que nos permite ver lo que está por encima de nuestro rango auditivo de 20 kHz. vemos algunos "spurs" (tonos espurios) entre 45 kHz y 50 kHz. Aunque no es audible, una buena ingeniería significa que el DAC no escupiría tantas frecuencias no deseadas.

Figure 4 FFT.png

Figura 4: Espectro FFT de distorsión y ruido en un DAC.

Volvamos a nuestro panel de control y veamos el medidor de relación THD+N. Esta es una sola figura de mérito para los equipo de audio que ha existido desde siempre. La medición se realizó reproduciendo un tono de 1 kHz, capturando esa salida y filtrando el 1 kHz con un filtro de muesca muy estrecho. Todo lo que queda es distorsión o ruido. Súmalos todos y obtendrás THD+N. Con nuestra moderna instrumentación podemos elegir cualquier frecuencia para las pruebas, pero como la tradición es de 1 kHz, me he quedado con eso en el tablero.

Nota importante: puedes sentirte tentado a leer el nivel de ruido de DAC desde la parte ruidosa del gráfico/piso en el FFT. ¡NO HAGAS ESTO! El verdadero nivel de ruido de un DAC es mucho más alto. Cuando realizamos medición por FFT, cuantos más puntos usemos, menor será el ruido del suelo. Esto se llama "ganancia FFT" y es algo bueno, ya que nos permite ver productos de distorsión que pueden estar bien enterrados dentro del piso de ruido del DAC (y ADC en el equipo de medición). ¡La ganancia puede ser de entre 30 dB y 40 dB más baja que la realidad! Las matemáticas se pueden usar para retroceder esta ganancia usando el número de puntos de analisis.

En lugar de hacer eso, podemos medir la suma de distorsiones + ruido en forma de THD + N (distorsión armónica total + ruido). Esto es lo que se muestra en nuestro medidor de relación THD+N por debajo del FFT. THD+N es una cifra de mérito muy común citada en muchas especificaciones de productos.

Debajo de THD+N está la figura de SINAD a la que hice referencia anteriormente. SINAD es en realidad el mismo valor que THD+N, pero se expresa en dB en relación con la amplitud de la señal. Esto es bueno porque podemos, de un vistazo, comparar el SINAD con nuestro rango dinámico auditivo de 116 dB y saber si son mejores o peores que él. Esta es una parte posterior de un cálculo de sobre para la audibilidad, así que no lo ejecutes por completo. Úsalo como una aproximación de primer orden. Si un DAC tiene mejor SINAD que 116 dB, entonces tenemos una confianza muy alta en la transparencia del sonido. Si el SINAD está por debajo de 116 dB, entonces la naturaleza del espectro de distorsión nos dirá si la distorsión es audible o no (es decir, tenemos que mirar el FFT).

THD+N versus Frecuencia

Nuestra vista del panel de control es una instantánea de rendimiento a 1 kHz. El rendimiento de los dispositivos en general varía a medida que cambia la frecuencia de la fuente de entrada. Es muy fácil crear tal "barrido" en el APx555, haciendo que varíe la frecuencia de la fuente del generador digital y midiendo el THD+N en ese punto desde la salida del DAC. Puedes ver esto en la Figura 5.

Figure 5 THD+N vs Frequency.png

Figura 5: THD+N (distorsión+ruido) frente a la frecuencia de la fuente.

Ten en cuenta que la medición de la Figura 5 tiene un ancho de banda de 90 kHz, a diferencia del “tablero”, que utiliza 22,4 kHz. ¿Por qué tanto más alto? Los armónicos son múltiplos de una frecuencia. En el panel de control, utilizamos un tono de 1 kHz para que sus múltiplos hasta 22 kHz se puedan capturar en 22,4 kHz de ancho de banda. Aquí vamos a subir a 20 kHz en frecuencia de origen, así que si nos detenemos en solo 22,4 kHz, tampoco capturaremos ninguna distorsión armónica, ya que el segundo armónico está a 40 kHz. Al usar un ancho de banda de 90 kHz, podemos capturar hasta un cuarto armónico de 20 kHz, que mide la mayor parte de la distorsión que vamos a ver.

Por desgracia, el mayor ancho de banda de 90 kHz significa que no solo capturamos la distorsión armónica, sino también cualquier ruido ultrasónico y tonos espurios. Podemos ver esto una vez más en la Figura 6 si medimos el Schiit BiFrost DAC.

Figure 6 THD+N vs Frequency.png

Figura 6: THD+N frente a la frecuencia para un DAC de menor rendimiento.

El aumento de THD+N en un canal se debe probablemente a tonos ultrasónicos no deseados que la distorsión armónica real. Observe lo peor que es ese gráfico en azul comparado con el DAC en rojo, que es una tarjeta DAC ("Khadas Tone Board”) de bajo costo (U$S99).

La lección más importante es que cada gráfico o especificación THD+N debe incluir el ancho de banda utilizado para la medición. De lo contrario, los datos no se pueden interpretar.

Ten en cuenta que algunos fabricantes y reviewers utilizan “ponderación tipo A" al indicar THD+N. Este es un filtro estandarizado que iguala la salida del DAC para tener menos amplitud a bajas y altas frecuencias. Se dice que esto se ajusta mejor a nuestra audición. Por desgracia, el gráfico en “ponderación A” es una visión demasiado simplista de nuestra audición, así que no lo uso. En casi todos los casos, la ponderación reduce el THD+N, por lo que es popular entre los fabricantes.

Jitter y Ruido

La mayoría de los audiófilos han oído hablar del término jitter, ya que el material de marketing para DAC está salpicado de él. Las especificaciones típicas podrían ser "10 picosegundos de jitter" o una declaración de que se utiliza algún "femtoclock" para el oscilador DAC. ¡Por favor, ignora todas esas conversaciones! Por un lado, no nos importa lo preciso que sea un reloj DAC. Puedo ralentizar o acelerar la música en un 0,1 por ciento y no tendrías ni idea. Ese número de picosegundo no vale nada porque la fluctuación viene en todas formas y es su naturaleza lo que determina la audibilidad, no lo que sea el total de la suma de valor único.

Ten en cuenta también que a menudo los fabricantes dan especificaciones de fluctuación para el reloj que impulsa el DAC. Esto no nos interesa, ya que no escuchamos ese reloj. Escuchamos la salida analógica del DAC. Esa salida analógica puede o no estar influenciada por algunas variaciones del reloj del DAC. Es importante destacar que la fluctuación y el ruido se pueden inducir en la salida del DAC y no se originan directamente en el oscilador.

Usando el análisis de FFT podemos eliminar todas las variaciones, el ruido y los tonos espurios no deseados de la salida analógica del DAC. Podríamos usar cualquier onda sinusoidal que queramos, pero dado que la fluctuación aumenta proporcionalmente con la frecuencia, nos gustaría usar una frecuencia superior a 1 kHz que es en la que nos hemos centrado hasta ahora.

El difunto Julian Dunn (una de nuestras luminarias en audio digital) propuso una señal de prueba llamada J-test (Jitter-Test) que se ha convertido en el estándar de la industria. Voy a explicarte qué es…. pero si no lo entiendes está bien. Te enseñaré lo que muestra el gráfico a pesar de todo.

La señal de prueba J es una onda cuadrada que funciona a una cuarta parte de nuestra frecuencia de muestreo de audio digital. Utilizo 48 kHz para mi prueba de fluctuación, por lo que una cuarta parte sería de 12 kHz. Ten en cuenta que dije que esta es una onda cuadrada, no una onda sinusoidal. Si alimentamos un DAC ideal con una onda cuadrada digital de 12 kHz, ¡en realidad obtenemos una onda sinusoidal pura a 12 kHz! ¿Cómo puede ser esto? Una onda cuadrada se puede descomponer en un número infinito de ondas sinusoidales que son armónicos extraños entre sí. Así que si la frecuencia primaria de la onda cuadrada es de 12 kHz, si la descomponemos con FFT, obtenemos 12 kHz, 36 kHz, 60 kHz, etc. Un DAC que ejecuta un muestreo de 48 kHz trunca todo por encima de la mitad de su frecuencia de muestreo o 24 kHz. Esto significa que el tercer armónico (36 kHz) y superiores se truncan, dejándonos solo con una onda sinusoidal: 12 kHz.

Así que sí, si limitamos una onda cuadrada, la convertimos en una onda sinusoidal pura. Para demostrar esto en un sistema real, podemos pedirle al APx555 que genere una onda cuadrada de 1 kHz y muestre su espectro usando FFT. Como ves en la Figura 7, tenemos nuestra frecuencia primaria/fundamental de 1 kHz, seguida de una secuencia de armónicos impares a 3, 5, 7 kHz, etc.

Figure 7 1 kHz Square Wave FFT.png

Figura 7: Espectro de una onda cuadrada de 1 kHz.

¿Por qué usamos una onda cuadrada si todo lo que queremos es una onda sinusoidal? La razón es que al usar un valor digital fijo que representa la parte superior e inferior de una onda cuadrada, tenemos un control total sobre las muestras digitales. Podemos usar ese conocimiento eligiendo valores digitales que se puedan manipular fácilmente, a diferencia de los valores fraccionarios que representan una onda sinusoidal. A saber, una señal de prueba J incrusta una segunda onda cuadrada dentro de la primera que hace que todos los bits PCM se volteen cada tantos Hertz (250 Hz para 48 kHz).

Para mis pruebas uso una señal de prueba J de 24 bits. Esto significa que los niveles de onda cuadrada de 250 Hz corresponden al bit más derecho de la señal de 24 bits. En relación con la amplitud completa a 0 dBFS, los 250 Hz estarán a -144 dB como se muestra en la Figura 8.

Figure 8 J-Test.png

Figura 8: Espectro de la señal de prueba de fluctuación de la prueba J.

Ten en cuenta que la escala vertical es dBFS, lo que significa que estamos analizando muestras digitales, no analógicas. ¡Es por eso que el piso de ruido está a la friolera de -180 dBFS! Un DAC real tendrá dificultades para hacerlo mejor que 20 bits, por lo que al medir su salida analógica, no veremos ninguno de los picos de 250 Hz.

¿Por qué poner la onda cuadrada de 250 Hz allí si nunca la vemos en la salida del DAC real? Cuando se inventó la prueba J, fue diseñada para encontrar jitter inducido cuando se utilizaban largas tiradas de cables AES o S/PDIF. La inversion haría que todos los bits cambiaran de un valor a otro, exagerando las fuentes de fluctuación.

La mayoría de nosotros usamos USB o HDMI para el audio a través de cables cortos, por lo que la sensibilidad del cable anterior no es una preocupación para nosotros. Lo que nos preocupa es si cambiar todos esos bits dentro de un DAC hace que la salida analógica del DAC cambie a la misma melodía. En otras palabras, es posible que la actividad digital en un DAC no tan bien diseñado se descarrile en su sensible etapa analógica. La figura 9 muestra un ejemplo de tal interferencia. Tenemos nuestro tono puro de 12 kHz, como deberíamos. Pero también obtenemos un conjunto simétrico de picos que se reducen en amplitud con múltiplos impares de 250 Hz, lo que nos dice que es la onda cuadrada en la prueba J la que lo causa.

Figure 9 Jitter Spectrum.png

Figura 9: Espectro de la señal de prueba j de la salida analógica del DAC que muestra una fluctuación de 250 Hz.

Si no pudiste seguir la explicación anterior está bien. Siempre que veas un gráfico de prueba J, concéntrate en todo lo que no sea el pico principal en el medio. Estos otros tonos o ruidos son NO deseados.

Linealidad

El trabajo de cada DAC de audio es convertir una muestra digital en el valor analógico correspondiente. Esto suena fácil, pero a medida que los niveles bajan cada vez más, el DAC puede tener dificultades para producir dicha precisión de voltajes analógicos. La prueba para esto se llama linealidad. Se reproduce un tono de prueba puro y se captura un voltaje analógico del DAC. Para excluir la distorsión y las respuestas espurias, un filtro muy estrecho excluye todo menos el tono de prueba. Para que el gráfico funcione, muestreamos un alto nivel (-20 dBFS en mis pruebas) y comparamos todo con eso (escalado, por supuesto). En un caso ideal, obtenemos una línea plana como es el caso del DAC8 de Okto Research en la Figura 10.

Figure 10 Linearity.png

Figura 10: Linealidad de DAC8 que muestra una respuesta casi perfecta hasta 120 dBFS (20 bits).

A la mayoría de los DAC les va bien en la prueba de linealidad, pero parece que ha habido una tendencia a volver a los llamados DAC R2R que tienden a fallar esta prueba miserablemente si no estan excepcionalmente bien implementados, como vemos en la Figura 11:

Figure 11 Bad Nonlinearity.png

Figura 11: Ejemplo de un DAC que muestra una linealidad muy pobre, perdiendo precisión a solo -63 dBFS o unos 10 bits.

El audio de 16 bits tiene un rango dinámico de 96 dB, por lo que como mínimo queremos ver una linealidad que sea plana/0 dB hasta al menos ese nivel.

Pruebas multitono

Una crítica incorrecta contra las mediciones de audio es que generalmente usamos un solo tono y, por lo tanto, el resultado no puede aplicarse a la música, que tiene innumerables tonos. El argumento pasa por mal de que si un DAC distorsiona un tono, también distorsionará mil. De todos modos, para hacer frente a las críticas, podemos hacer más tonos. En mi caso, ejecuto 32 tonos simultáneos a una frecuencia de muestreo de 192 kHz. Una respuesta ideal sería solo esos 32 tonos y nada más. Sin embargo, nada es perfecto, así que obtenemos muchos picos adicionales y ruido elevado cuando el DAC tiene mucha distorsión, como se ve en la Figura 12.

Fiture 12 Multitone.png

Figura 12: ejemplo de un DAC con alta distorsión armónica.

A menudo llamamos "hierba" a lo que hay entre los tonos principales. Como tal, cuanto menos hierba entre los tonos, mejor. La figura 13 muestra un ejemplo de un DAC muy bien realizado.

Figure 13 Multitone.png

Figura 13: ejemplo de un DAC con muy poca distorsión armónica/intermodulación.

Distorsión de intermodulación

Siempre que usamos más de un tono de prueba, las distorsiones resultantes se llaman intermodulación. Los dos tonos interactúan entre sí en un sistema no lineal y producen tonos adicionales proporcionales a estos tonos. Lo que se muestra no es realmente diferente de la distorsión armónica, pero tiene un valor clave: podemos ver todas las distorsiones dentro de la banda audible. Con la distorsión armónica, necesitamos tener un ancho de banda más amplio para capturar los armónicos de cualquier cosa por encima de 11 kHz.

A lo largo de los años y décadas, se han promovido diferentes conjuntos de tonos para medir la intermodulación. Utilizo la versión SMPTE, que es de 60 Hz más 7 kHz. El tono de 60 Hz es útil porque algunos dispositivos tienen problemas para reproducir frecuencias más bajas (debido a la falta de capacidad de almacenar corriente de fuente de alimentación, por ejemplo). El 7 kHz es lo contrario y prueba la capacidad del DAC para reproducir frecuencias superiores a 1 kHz que normalmente son las usamos para las pruebas de audio.

La figura 14 muestra un ejemplo de un DAC (en rojo) que tiene una distorsión de intermodulación muy baja. El gráfico se divide en dos dominios: la parte en declive y la en ascenso. La prueba de intermodulación comienza con nuestros pares de señales a niveles muy bajos (-60 dBFS). Como resultado, el ruido domina la medición, como se indica por el hecho de que cuando aumentamos las fuentes de señal (menos valores de dBFS negativos), la "distorsión" medida se reduce. No es la distorsión lo que está reduciendo, sino la cantidad de ruido capturado en el detector de distorsión de intermodulación. Por cierto, el nivel de ruido se vuelve insignificante y llegamos al piso de la distorsión de intermodulación (ruido +).

A medida que seguimos aumentando la amplitud de nuestros pares de tonos IMD, algunos DAC comienzan a producir cada vez más distorsión y eso aparece en la curva IMD que invierte y vuelve a subir. En el caso del DAC en rojo, esto ocurre alrededor de -7 dBFS. Afortunadamente, este es un DAC muy bien educado y el aumento es muy leve hasta que llegamos al valor total (0 dBFS).

Figure 13 IMD vs Level.png

Figura 14: ejemplo de buena intermodulación (roja) y no tan buena (verde/rosa).

Contraste eso con el DAC en verde/rosa, donde no solo tiene un nivel de ruido más alto (como se ve en la posición más alta de la curva en su segmento descendente), sino que tiene una distorsión que se establece en alrededor de -17 dBFS y sigue empeorando. Este DAC utiliza un amplificador de salida ("buffer") sin retroalimentación, lo que generalmente se traduce en niveles de distorsión más altos.

Después de probar innumerables DAC, surgió un patrón interesante con productos DAC que utilizan un chip DAC de ESS, que es uno de los principales proveedores de silicio. Echa un vistazo a la distorsión de intermodulación del DAC en verde en la Figura 15.

Figure 15 Bad IMD.png

Figura 15: ejemplo de distorsión de intermodulación a nivel medio de los DAC ESS.

Observa cómo la curva de repente comienza a subir alrededor de -45 dB, pero luego vuelve a la normalidad alrededor de -10 dB. En otras palabras, tales DAC tienen una distorsión de intermodulación inusualmente alta cuando tenemos muestras de audio digital intermedias, no máximas como suele ser el caso. Esto ocurre en tantos diseños basados en chips ESS DAC que he acuñado el término "ESS IMD hump” o joroba. La creciente distorsión aparece en la gran mayoría de los DAC que utilizan esta serie de chips ESS, pero curiosamente algunos diseños notables logran hacerlo bien, como Benchmark Design DAC3 y OPPO UDP-205.

Respuesta del filtro de reconstrucción

El teorema de muestreo exige un filtro en la salida del DAC para deshacerse de la respuesta espuria "fuera de la banda" ( en alta frecuencia). Los diseñadores de chips y sistemas DAC recurren a diferentes algoritmos para este filtro de paso bajo, ya que hay compensaciones con respecto a la rapidez con la que se filtran los datos fuera de banda y la planitud del espectro dentro de la banda. Además; hoy en día está de moda diseñar filtros que tengan ciertas características en el dominio del tiempo (por ejemplo, no sonar antes de un impulso).

Para probar la respuesta del filtro, alimentamos el ruido blanco aleatorio del DAC, que naturalmente tiene un ancho de banda infinito. La respuesta del filtro de paso bajo se vuelve obvia una vez que capturamos la salida del DAC y lo convertimos al dominio de frecuencia usando FFT. La figura 16 muestra un ejemplo de esto a medida que cambio la configuración del filtro en el DAC.

Figure 16 DAC reconstruction filter.png

Figura 16: ejemplo de diferentes filtros de salida DAC.

Es probable que el impacto de la audibilidad de dichos filtros sea muy bajo o inexistente, por lo que no le pongo mucho valor a esta prueba.

Prueba de onda cuadrada

Como señalé en la descripción del filtro de paso bajo en el DAC, hay interés en el uso de filtros que tengan cierta respuesta de dominio de tiempo. Para detectar este comportamiento, utilizamos una onda cuadrada, que también tiene un ancho de banda infinito (armónicos impares hasta el infinito). Filtros clásicos utilizados en los DAC "anillo" (oscilación) hacia arriba y hacia abajo antes y después de las transiciones nítidas en la señal de onda cuadrada como se ve en la Figura 17. Tenga en cuenta que una onda cuadrada (o señal de impulso utilizada como sustituto) no existe en la vida real. Nada en la naturaleza pasa de repente de 0 a un valor súper alto en una muestra. Así que ten cuidado al comprar en la línea de marketing tal o cual la respuesta del dominio del tiempo es mejor.

Figure 17 Square Wave Ringing.png

Figura 17: respuesta de onda cuadrada de un DAC que muestra el timbre clásico antes y después de la transición de bajo a alto y viceversa.

Aparte de la característica del filtro, los tonos de onda cuadrada a menudo muestran otros problemas, como el recorte de la parte superior de la señal. La figura 18 muestra un ejemplo de esto.

FIgure 18 Clipped Square Wave.png

Figura 18: ejemplo de un DAC que recorta la parte superior de la forma de onda.

Esto no debería suceder. La causa probable son las matemáticas internas que no permiten un desbordamiento por encima de un valor digital máximo.

Resumen

Espero que a estas alturas ya tengas una mejor comprensión de cómo se puede caracterizar el rendimiento de los DACs (ya que sean independientes o sean parte de su procesador AVR o A/V). Por mucho que nos guste asumir que la tecnología DAC ha madurado, hay muchas implementaciones mediocres. El precio no parece ser un predictor del rendimiento. Hay DACs de U$S 99 que superan a los DACs de miles de dólares por un amplio margen. Busca las mediciones de los DAC para saber que tan bien diseñados están. Esfuérzate por conseguir uno con rendimiento que garantice la transparencia con respecto al ruido audible y la distorsión.

Nota: este artículo se publicó a principios de este año en la revista Widescreen Review.

Amir Majidimehr es el fundador de la empresa de audio/vídeo/integración/automatización, Madrona Digital (madronadigital.com). Antes de eso, pasó más de 30 años en las industrias de la informática y el vídeo de radiodifusión/consumidor en empresas líderes, desde Sony hasta Microsoft, siempre presionando por avanzar en el estado de la técnica en la entrega y el consumo de medios digitales. Las tecnologías desarrolladas en sus equipos se envían en miles de millones de dispositivos desde las principales consolas de juegos y teléfonos a todos los PC del mundo y son obligatorias en estándares como Blu-ray Disc. Se retiró como vicepresidente corporativo de Microsoft en 2007 para perseguir otros intereses, entre los que se encuentra un sitio dedicado a las revisiones de audio y la ciencia llamado AudioScienceReview.com.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Spanish translation of Amir's message.

Comprender las mediciones de audio digital.
Thank you so much for the kind and detailed translation. I put a link to it in the original post. If anyone wants to do the same for other languages, it would be very much appreciated.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Blind test beats measurements. [quoted out of context]
No, blind tests do not beat measurements because the human hearing is much more limited compared to an AP. A blind test comparing two devices may show no audible differences where the APX might reveal differences in SINAD.
Currently we can surely measure and compare waveforms to a far more minute degree than the acuity of human hearing. TA DA the Audio Precision (etc) WINS!
...not really. Because what actually gets measured is a tiny subset of performance, and always steady state conditions. Well maybe a small exception of single-pulse excitation impulse response of converters. I used to see more varied measurements: stair steps, noise modulation for instance.

Also we can measure stuff like aliasing artifacts however do we really know what this MEANS? How much of this happens with actual music? How sensitive are our ears in truth? (Not that everyone's hearing is the same but that's a different issue). Used to be it was not well known how sensitive we are to various distortions...I *suspect* we still don't know a lot, but confess I have not kept up with that literature. How sensitive are we to SINAD to take one measure? Audio is a field where precious little truly scientific (one-variable) comparison testing is done, because of the difficulty and also because many hobbyists of either subjectivist or objectivist persuasion do not want to subject themselves to possibly having their cherished beliefs refuted and crumbled.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Her
Currently we can surely measure and compare waveforms to a far more minute degree than the acuity of human hearing. TA DA the Audio Precision (etc) WINS!
...not really. Because what actually gets measured is a tiny subset of performance, and always steady state conditions. Well maybe a small exception of single-pulse excitation impulse response of converters. I used to see more varied measurements: stair steps, noise modulation for instance.

Also we can measure stuff like aliasing artifacts however do we really know what this MEANS? How much of this happens with actual music? How sensitive are our ears in truth? (Not that everyone's hearing is the same but that's a different issue). Used to be it was not well known how sensitive we are to various distortions...I *suspect* we still don't know a lot, but confess I have not kept up with that literature. How sensitive are we to SINAD to take one measure? Audio is a field where precious little truly scientific (one-variable) comparison testing is done, because of the difficulty and also because many hobbyists of either subjectivist or objectivist persuasion do not want to subject themselves to possibly having their cherished beliefs refuted and crumbled.
Here you can test for yourself how easy you can pick up SiNAD.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here you can test for yourself how easy you can pick up SiNAD.
Cool! But then I think...through speakers, is the distortion actually less than the test signal? Probably through my AKGs but I sold those off due to disuse. Maybe through a friend's Focal Utopias?

phile2

Not for dummies
Suggestion to Amir :
please change the title of this thread.

Nothing new : you're not a science guy, just a guy able to use plug&play devices like an AP and read the plot & conclusions given by the "machine".

So, if you were "a bit" a "science guy",
- for instance, you would be precise by writing the title and it would be : "Understanding Digital Audio Measurements with an AP5xx".

- for instance, when your measurements show no diff btw audio devices @ -150dB (example) or something level
=> it would ring a bell immediatly : "this figure is amazingly low..". "so low that it means nothing & gives no relevant information" => let's be honest : "those dead low figures are funny ! LOL"
So, no conclusion can be drawn based on that measurement => thus, a (real) science guy would conclude,
=> smth wrong there....
=> I screwed up (it happens more than often in R&D) ....
=> this APxxx is not the right tool .... ("fuc'... so much money put in that box... !" LOL)
=> let's do measurements with another tool & new experimental setup, that enable to point out "clear & big" differences when we run measurements on devices A & B.
=> then, by measuring "clear & big differences" btw devices, we'll be able to give some conclusions.
=> of course, a (real) science guy, in front of these new & relevant measurements, he will not shout all over the place like Amir "I know what you know, 1000times !", but he will got many "?" "?!" in his head because when you learn something "new", you realize that you knew very few about the subject, and although I make a step ahead based on new & relevant measurements, these measurements leads to even more questions about "this" & "that".
=> then, the (real) science guy would follow a standard "scientific path" : why "this" vs "that" ? / how does it work ? / and so forth...

For those who didn't understand what I wrote, let's take an example :
the astro community, thanks to James Webb telescope, gets a lot of new information about their research field.
Then,
1. they are happy to get some answers to some previous "questions with no/partial answer"
2. but above all => they are happy because these new info leads to even more "questions" without answers (not yet...) !!! And for a (real) science guy, what drives you & makes your job fun & interesting => it is these many "questions" to "answer".
Of course, a plug&play game with APxxx is far from "science stuff", just because : what a boring & un-interesting job it is... plug/play to read results... and write a post... boring... Amir, as a software guy, you'd save time in doing only plug/play task, and leave ChatGPT do the next step ! LOL !

A nice we to everyone !

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Nothing new : you're not a science guy, just a guy able to use plug&play devices like an AP and read the plot & conclusions given by the "machine".

This trolling isn't close to good enough.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Suggestion to Amir :
please change the title of this thread.

So, if you were "a bit" a "science guy",
- for instance, you would be precise by writing the title and it would be : "Understanding Digital Audio Measurements with an AP5xx".

- for instance, when your measurements show no diff btw audio devices @ -150dB (example) or something level
=> it would ring a bell immediatly : "this figure is amazingly low..". "so low that it means nothing & gives no relevant information" => let's be honest : "those dead low figures are funny ! LOL"
So, no conclusion can be drawn based on that measurement => thus, a (real) science guy would conclude,
=> smth wrong there....
=> I screwed up (it happens more than often in R&D) ....
=> this APxxx is not the right tool .... ("fuc'... so much money put in that box... !" LOL)
=> let's do measurements with another tool & new experimental setup, that enable to point out "clear & big" differences when we run measurements on devices A & B.
=> then, by measuring "clear & big differences" btw devices, we'll be able to give some conclusions.
=> of course, a (real) science guy, in front of these new & relevant measurements, he will not shout all over the place like Amir "I know what you know, 1000times !", but he will got many "?" "?!" in his head because when you learn something "new", you realize that you knew very few about the subject, and although I make a step ahead based on new & relevant measurements, these measurements leads to even more questions about "this" & "that".
=> then, the (real) science guy would follow a standard "scientific path" : why "this" vs "that" ? / how does it work ? / and so forth...

For those who didn't understand what I wrote, let's take an example :
the astro community, thanks to James Webb telescope, gets a lot of new information about their research field.
Then,
1. they are happy to get some answers to some previous "questions with no/partial answer"
2. but above all => they are happy because these new info leads to even more "questions" without answers (not yet...) !!! And for a (real) science guy, what drives you & makes your job fun & interesting => it is these many "questions" to "answer".
Of course, a plug&play game with APxxx is far from "science stuff", just because : what a boring & un-interesting job it is... plug/play to read results... and write a post... boring... Amir, as a software guy, you'd save time in doing only plug/play task, and leave ChatGPT do the next step ! LOL !

A nice we to everyone !
If you weren’t a science guy you’d understand that being passive aggressive is not an effective means to win friends and influence people.

Top Bottom