• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO200 MKII DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 65 26.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 155 63.5%

• Total voters

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, @amirm !

SMSL DO200 MKII MQA DAC Balanced Stereo Jitter  Audio Measurements.png

What about Jitter through S/PDIF, both toslink and coax? USB is usually not very discriminating.;)

Who in 2023 buys a DAC with less than 121.4 SINAD?
Tons of people. The vast majority, actually. 121.4dB SINAD is plain useless for most use cases, BTW.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Steamrolly

And the DO300 is following directly behind, for those who want a newer DAC chip.
DO300

Last edited:

doug2761

Forum Donor
Wish it had a trigger out. Interesting to see the price points creeping higher. Yes, some more features and all that so no complaints. Except that I wish it had a trigger out.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The E70 measures better has a trigger and 150 bucks less. But no AES/EBU, I²C.

Last edited:

GeekyBastard

I like that it uses the “correct” filter at factory default settings, and it does its job nicely, hopefully more product would do the same in the future.

Marcos Mazur

It seems to measure well, I have read reviews about this DAC and they are all very positive, in this case, would that be a comfortable and brightless sound, which is interesting to me, but... are there any downsides to the sound quality that I haven't noticed?
From what I see here there is considerable noise from 30k onwards and in this case it wouldn't be a problem, it's under -130 dB and so on, right?
Without wanting to be annoying, but I just ask, this is certainly inaudible in normal hearing, but in this case, could this noise well below the audible cause some roughness? this occurred to me now because I remembered the Allo Revolution DAC, where the manufacturer comments that he tried to make noise and distortion as low as possible, even if a good part of the noise is inaudible, it ends up being ''felt'' in a way and causing fatigue .
I believe that most speakers do not reproduce exactly anything beyond 20k, the same for human hearing, right? or I didn't quite understand this question and why this review showed this noise above 20k.
I realize that I practically don't even hear the 18k for example in a frequency test, but that's all I feel a evident annoyance even when I forget the frequency is ringing, which means that in a way I hear it but in an extremely subtle way.

BR52

It seems to measure well, I have read reviews about this DAC and they are all very positive, in this case, would that be a comfortable and brightless sound, which is interesting to me, but... are there any downsides to the sound quality that I haven't noticed?
From what I see here there is considerable noise from 30k onwards and in this case it wouldn't be a problem, it's under -130 dB and so on, right?
Without wanting to be annoying, but I just ask, this is certainly inaudible in normal hearing, but in this case, could this noise well below the audible cause some roughness? this occurred to me now because I remembered the Allo Revolution DAC, where the manufacturer comments that he tried to make noise and distortion as low as possible, even if a good part of the noise is inaudible, it ends up being ''felt'' in a way and causing fatigue .
I believe that most speakers do not reproduce exactly anything beyond 20k, the same for human hearing, right? or I didn't quite understand this question and why this review showed this noise above 20k.
I realize that I practically don't even hear the 18k for example in a frequency test, but that's all I feel a evident annoyance even when I forget the frequency is ringing, which means that in a way I hear it but in an extremely subtle way.
Could you see the wide band noise test -96 dB Hmm.

respice finem

Major Contributor
I'm tired of these DAC's without features like loudness and EQ. Would rather own the RME ADI-2 FS DAC with better remote and awesome features. And Amazon has it for $1039.
A possible catch: Since this would be a re-import for a European customer, he might have to pay tax.
The prices from German shops are for now:

But yes, even so, it has more features (which is why I got it)

BR52

A possible catch: Since this would be a re-import for a European customer, he might have to pay tax.
The prices from German shops are for now:

But yes, even so, it has more features (which is why I got it)
We are more of topic now. Would be great SMSL, Topping and all others read the hundreds posts repeating the
same message. And for us (customer) a little competition would be great technology and price wise.

prerich

Voted fine....it's another SMSL dac......

Top Bottom