• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First room measurements. How they look to you?

alaios

Hi all, the below are the first room measurements from L+R without equalizer applied
as I do not have experience in the field.
My speakers are the oberon on wall speakers, they are rated that they play down to 55Hz (6 dB).
1674812593255.png

Here are some first questions:
1. How low do they play? I see for example that at 35Hz I am 5 dB down from the black line (I put it as reference there). Does this mean that bass region is audible or is just pure distortion?
2. Given that room is purely untreated, I have tiles at the floor, lack of furniture and the major balcony window does not have drapes yet, how these measurements look to you?
3. Assume that I had a little sub (that for many of you might not be considered a sub) that is playing only down to 37Hz (3dB), do you see any gains being added to that system (system here is the speakers room combo as shown by the measurements)
4. I see two bumps one a bit below 200Hz and one between 300 ad 400Hz. From my understanding these can be somehow handled from room treatment as many diffusers absorbers work in those ranges.

Thanks a lot
Alex

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Please post again with var smoothing instead of psychoacoustic and the y-axis limited from 50-100 Hz.

Is this a 1-point-measurement?

OP
A

alaios

I need to redo the measurement so it will take a bit. What is the problem with psychoaccoustic smoothing?

Sokel

Master Contributor
I need to redo the measurement so it will take a bit. What is the problem with psychoaccoustic smoothing?
You don't need to redo it,just apply var to the existing ones and wide the chart a litlle bit (you're close though at 110-45db,just go 100 -50db and 50-100Hz)
Why don't you make an MMM measurement instead,it's more useful.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
1674815585155.png

Psychoacoustic smoothes the bass region very much. So it is hard to see smaller peaks und dips. Var smoothes the bass very little.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You want the bass to be elevated above the rest of the response, so do your subwoofer crossover at 80 or 90Hz to make the frequency response better. Manufacturer seems to be truthful about -6dB at 55Hz.

Frequency response looks fine above 80Hz, but that is a poor way to judge audio quality. I would look at spectral decay to figure out what level of acoustic treatment you need. Most rooms have long decay times at low frequencies that should be fixed whenever possible.

Diffusers basically never work in the mid-bass region, they become too large and expensive for most people. If you want to fix your room modes, go with thick absorption panels. 3.5" minimum, ideally 5.5". 5.5" panels with a 2" air gap have strong absorption down to 100Hz.

If you want bass traps for the corners, go even thicker, like 11-17", and use a low density material. If you go too thin or use a high density material, you won't be able to absorb below 100Hz.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does this mean that bass region is audible or is just pure distortion?
Check it in "distortion" graph. You'll see how much distortion do you have and decide accordingly.

how these measurements look to you?
Very smoothed but generally OK. At least no serious issues that will make sound unbearable.
do you see any gains being added to that system
For sure it might help. If it will properly handle flat shelf 35-85 Hz, you'll have effectively fullrange system.
I see two bumps one a bit below 200Hz and one between 300 ad 400Hz
It requires more measurement and investigations of origins.
Don't bother now with smoothed graph, it will not help.

OP
A

alaios

You want the bass to be elevated above the rest of the response, so do your subwoofer crossover at 80 or 90Hz to make the frequency response better. Manufacturer seems to be truthful about -6dB at 55Hz.

Frequency response looks fine above 80Hz, but that is a poor way to judge audio quality. I would look at spectral decay to figure out what level of acoustic treatment you need. Most rooms have long decay times at low frequencies that should be fixed whenever possible.

Diffusers basically never work in the mid-bass region, they become too large and expensive for most people. If you want to fix your room modes, go with thick absorption panels. 3.5" minimum, ideally 5.5". 5.5" panels with a 2" air gap have strong absorption down to 100Hz.

If you want bass traps for the corners, go even thicker, like 11-17", and use a low density material. If you go too thin or use a high density material, you won't be able to absorb below 100Hz.
btw if we want bass to be elevated should not a better metric be +6dB instead of -6d
View attachment 260342

Psychoacoustic smoothes the bass region very much. So it is hard to see smaller peaks und dips. Var smoothes the bass very little.
My apologies that took me so long. We had issues at the family

This should be
1675623889824.png

What do we learn from the above graph? Can you help me with that?
REgards,
Alex

Burnsy1

I'm not as knowledgeable as some. But you want to smooth out the frequency response between 20hz and 80 or 100 hz. You could try to do this with an eq, adjusting the phase on the subwoofer, gain on the subwoofer, and trying different locations for the sub. It might be helpful to know what receiver you are using.

D

Deleted member 48726

btw if we want bass to be elevated should not a better metric be +6dB instead of -6d

This should be
View attachment 262596

REgards,
Alex
What we can see is that your speakers not really are producing much meaningful bass and would benefit greatly from a subwoofer crossed at 90 Hz or so.

But if you are happy with the sound all is good. -But what is your goal? Why do you measure? What do you want to accomplish?

ozzy9832001

This should be
View attachment 262596

REgards,
Alex
Probably want to EQ down some of the offensive peaks like the one at 90hz and the ones at like 165ish and 185ish. As the volume increases that will start creating a very uncomfortable sound. Looks like my graph before I started tweaking. Bringing some of those peaks under control will probably have some interactions up and down the spectrum.

Worst case scenario is get a sub. Even a cheap one will help smooth out that response and may help further up by cancelling some of the energy created in the 100-200 range. Mine is set 180 polarity for that reason.

Top Bottom