• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
the sound is clean between breaks
If the DAC remains locked (I don't know if this DAC has a means of displaying a locked state or not) then this implies that the audio output of the TV is stable. If this is the case, the TV is smoothly substituting silence when the incoming audio is not usable.

This, in turn, points to the likelihood of the audio output of the satellite RX not being sufficiently stable.

Lynch

Okay guys I need some advice with setting up my SU-8. I have the latest version (V1.2 PCB) shipped directly from SZA.

1) I have the XMOS drivers installed, but the control panel shows TWO "32-bit" in the output settings, I honestly don't know why but they both sound different. I assume the second one is actual 32-bit. Does anyone know how to set it properly?

2) I'm not sure what's the best way to setup windows sound settings (I am not new to this, I dial-in/tweak these settings all the time) for this specific DAC to sound the best.

I have it setup as "24-bit 96khz" but it was too shrill and piercing to my ears so I dialed it back to 48khz sample rate. I also have the "full range" ticked in configuration. What sample rate to use? (I am not using any special higher sample-rate stuff, only basic youtube, foobar, etc).

Hope someone can share their experience on setting up this for the best sound. I'm pairing this up with JBL LSR305 + LSR310S.

Edit: Is there a way to get the SMSL to do the upsampling instead of Windows drivers?

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
I am trying to use my SMSL SU-8 V2 DAC to connect my Samsung QE55Q6F 2017 TV to my JBL LSR 308 Active monitor speakers and I would need someone's help as the sound keeps cutting off every 3 to 4 seconds.

Here's my setup:
- I set my TV to "Audio Out Optical" (see attachment).
- I set all my sound settings to "PCM" (see attachment)
- I connected my TV to the SMSL SU-8 with an opticable cable (see attachment)
- I set my SMSL SU-8 to optical input (see attachment)
- I connected my SMSL SU-8 to my JBL speakers with XLR cables (see attachment)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
New firmware has been uploaded from Samsung in January 2019, but have you updated already?

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Okay guys I need some advice with setting up my SU-8. I have the latest version (V1.2 PCB) shipped directly from SZA.

1) I have the XMOS drivers installed, but the control panel shows TWO "32-bit" in the output settings, I honestly don't know why but they both sound different. I assume the second one is actual 32-bit. Does anyone know how to set it properly?

2) I'm not sure what's the best way to setup windows sound settings (I am not new to this, I dial-in/tweak these settings all the time) for this specific DAC to sound the best.

I have it setup as "24-bit 96khz" but it was too shrill and piercing to my ears so I dialed it back to 48khz sample rate. I also have the "full range" ticked in configuration. What sample rate to use? (I am not using any special higher sample-rate stuff, only basic youtube, foobar, etc).

Hope someone can share their experience on setting up this for the best sound. I'm pairing this up with JBL LSR305 + LSR310S.

Edit: Is there a way to get the SMSL to do the upsampling instead of Windows drivers?

1) Now myself is on Win7 so take my experience with a grant of salt about Win10, either pick the best one of those two by ear or do a measurement the two between doing a hardwired loopback from I/O using whatever program for example free program REW and look up if they perform the same or one of them is bad. If you don't use ASIO driver in Foobar you can also uninstall XMOS driver packkage because Win10 should some builds ago have support for UAC2 and guess for this solution you will get rid af the two choices there and then pick the single 32bit one.

2) Material should be played back with native sample rate to sound right and avoid SRC distortion, to do that for Windows platform setup Foobar player with either WASAPI plugin or ASIO plugin and to never do any SRC, WASAPI works with both Win10 UAC2 and XMOS driver but to get ASIO feature XMOS driver from SMSL will be needed, using either WASAPI or ASIO in player is the feature that ensure your sound collection get exclusive access to soundcard so material is played with native rates overuling whatever settings is set in Windows sound system control panel, drawback is sounds from other Windows programs such as browser etc can not play any sounds as long Foobar or whatever player is have exclusive access over WASAPI or ASIO to soundcard hardware. Smartest rate setting in Windows sound system control panel to avoid as less as possible SRC mitchmatch distortion is probably set it to 44,1kHz/32bit because as far as i know most YouTube/web stuff is at that rate.

Pluto

Forum Donor
Is there a way to get the SMSL to do the upsampling instead of Windows drivers?
Let's keep this as simple as possible. You must use audio applications that are capable of WASAPI or ASIO operation, as only these modes offer the means of bypassing Windows unwanted SRC. I suggest that beginners use WASAPI as ASIO often adds an extra control interface that can further conflate the situation and confuse the unwary user. There is no sonic difference between the two in standard domestic use.

The following relates to Windows 7. Later versions follow the same general pattern but differ in detail.

Having successfully installed the Thesycon driver, go to Control Panel / Sound / Playback and therein you should find an entry for your DAC. Select it and then press Properties. In the box that now appears, pick the General tab. Herein there will be a further properties button – press it. Select the driver tab and check that the signer is Thesycon. This ensures that you are really using the driver that you need. When satisfied, press Cancel. Go to the Advanced tab of the box now exposed and select the two check boxes under Exclusive Mode. Do not worry about the audio properties drop down as selecting exclusive mode overrides this and gives total control to your audio application when using WASAPI. You can, at this point, press Test but watch the volume! If your DAC plays the test sound, it proves that all is going according to plan. The test sound sent to the DAC will be at the sample rate specified in the drop down. You might care to check that the DAC display agrees with the value set. If not, something is wrong. If all appears well, OK, OK to get yourself back to the desktop.

Open your desired audio application and ensure that it is set to use the WASAPI interface. If your application does not support WASAPI or ASIO, delete it and find something else. That's it really.

But one more thing worthy of note, having set-up audio on dozens of Windows machines. Unless you are really sure of what you are doing, make the default audio device something other than the DAC connected to your prize speakers. There are quite a few reasons for me suggesting this, but they are all based on the premise that it's too easy for random bits of software to access the default audio and send something at an unhealthily high level to your speakers when you least expect it!

Gomjab

default audio device something other than the DAC connected to your prize speakers.”

And more importantly, especially with headphones, your prized ears!

MrC

After confirming with Shenzhen that it will be the latest version, I just ordered one of these to pair with my Atom and P20 that should be here soon.

Now I need to see about converting my headphones to balanced and my work desk set up should be complete... I hope!

wyup

How would still compare this version 2 unbalanced to the Topping D50? Has it improved over D50 since these new charts?

BYRTT

Forum Donor
How would still compare this version 2 unbalanced to the Topping D50? Has it improved over D50 since these new charts?

V2 looks great and when compared to D50 numbers looks a tiny squizze better for the actual tested units, FFT profiles looks a bit different you know if 2nd is highest and the rest is declining and wether it consist of full spectrum 2nd/3rd/4th etc or some of them are missing, below is visual comparison SU-8 v2 verse D50 plus Khadas Tone board naked PCB and the metal housed Tone board dac1 from March Audio.

1000.png

MacBurn

Hi,
I also have an optical input problem with my SU-8 10th anniversary.
I'm using a Chromecast audio to stream Spotify, audio cuts off 2 or 3 times at the beginning of each song. It stops for around 100-200ms.
USB works well.
Same setup with Topping D50 works fine.
Anybody else is using Chromecast audio with their SU-8? Thanks!

gvl

Major Contributor
Chromecast Audio has a history of not paying well with some DACs due to the fact it cuts the signal between tracks when playing Spotify.

JRG1488

Mine is v2 10th anniversary edition from amazon uk.
Sounds Superb using the xlr ouputs, much better than the benchmark but that might be because output is 4.2Vrms vs 4.0Vrms.

badyard

Hi,
I also have an optical input problem with my SU-8 10th anniversary.
I'm using a Chromecast audio to stream Spotify, audio cuts off 2 or 3 times at the beginning of each song. It stops for around 100-200ms.
USB works well.
Same setup with Topping D50 works fine.
Anybody else is using Chromecast audio with their SU-8? Thanks!
I use Chromecast Audio for streaming Tidal through my SU-8 10th anniversary very often, sounds great and is very stable, no audio drops or glitches.
Maybe the source of the problem resides in Spotify app..

badyard

I've tested v2 unit against the old one, to compare and see if there are differences other than the balanced issue being fixed, and here are my conclusions:
- no more "cold boot" coil whine.
- no more click and pops when changing sample rate or switching between inputs.
- a new sound profile named "original".
- remote control is a bit more reactive and smooth.

All those improvement are most likely firmware related,
not only they have fixed the biggest hardware problem with v2 but they also have fixed many other less important but yet annoying issues!
I really can't find anything to complain with the v2 unit, it's flawless!

Top Bottom