• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 83 18.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 206 47.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 26.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 31 7.1%

• Total voters

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In this same thread, another user, in this post, wrote that he returned his 3800 because, among other things, his subwoofers weren't turning on automatically because of the signal being too low to engage the function
This is not common with Denon and seems to happen only with certain sub brands. Seen complaints around SVS.

sask15

My Power Sound Audio XV15se subs seem to turn on fine using the 4800. Not sure what kind of voltage or signal strength they need but work good with the auto on.

Rockman2

Any reason to use the RCA to XLR cable to not get speaker hum or a ground loop? These cables are not very expensive if they may help. I am going to run the front 3 LCR in pre amp mode and re assign the 2 channels to Hight 2

I know it may sound obvious, but have you tried solving the issue that causes the hum? Most likely it's a ground loop you can easily overcome by wiring together the two devices' chassis.
Any reason to use the RCA to XLR cable to not get speaker hum or a ground loop? These cables are not very expensive if they may help. I am going to run the front 3 LCR in pre amp mode and re assign the 2 channels to Hight 2

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

There is good chance that it would at least reduce the hum, if the RCA to XLR cables are via like it was suggested by Hypex. The Monoprice premier cables should work good.

a15-1.jpg
51CnSq78wML._AC_SL1000_.jpg

rca-xlr.png
51pLSwO-B6L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

XLR-M_to_RCA_Cable_Shopify_5000x.png

You can also try connecting the chassis of the two devices together as suggested, that may or may not work, but in my experience, it rarely worked.

Rockman2

I know it may sound obvious, but have you tried solving the issue that causes the hum? Most likely it's a ground loop you can easily overcome by wiring together the two devices' chassis.
Well I have not hooked it up yet but I will be using a receiver with my 3 channel ATI Amp I will have RCA on the AVR and RCA and XLR on the amp. I do not have hum as it is not running yet. But I want to use the best set up from the beginning and I thought an RCA to XLR migh be the better way. It is only a question and was hoping some one has don this in the past. The AVR will be close to the amp I am hoping 1.5' cables or max 2" will be needed to connect. So RCA may be fine but again lust looking to start of with the best setup I can.

Thanks

Rockman2

There is good chance that it would at least reduce the hum, if the RCA to XLR cables are via like it was suggested by Hypex. The Monoprice premier cables should work good.

a15-1.jpg
51CnSq78wML._AC_SL1000_.jpg

rca-xlr.png
51pLSwO-B6L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

XLR-M_to_RCA_Cable_Shopify_5000x.png

You can also try connecting the chassis of the two devices together as suggested, that may or may not work, but in my experience, it rarely worked.
I just ran across this on Youtube.

Not sure if it is accurate.

Thoughts?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just ran across this on Youtube.

Not sure if it is accurate.

Thoughts?

Some Youtubers are very knowledgeable in the topic they talk about but some are not. In this case, he's talking about a cable for connecting balanced output to unbalanced input. If that's what you want to do, then this cable may work for you, but that's if the female RCA cable is what you need, otherwise you can get one that has male RCA.

The Monoprice I linked is for connecting unbalanced output, such the pre out of an AVR, to the balanced input of a power amp, and I thought that's what you want to do.

Benchmark sells both, one for each application, again the one I link is for RCA out to XLR in, the one linked below is for XLR out to RCA in, the difference is, in this case, pin 3 is left floating:

So, pick your choice accordingly.

For XLR out to RCA in, there is a whole ASR thread:

For RCA out to XLR in:

There are likely many more such threads to read if you are interested.

Well I have not hooked it up yet but I will be using a receiver with my 3 channel ATI Amp I will have RCA on the AVR and RCA and XLR on the amp. I do not have hum as it is not running yet. But I want to use the best set up from the beginning and I thought an RCA to XLR migh be the better way. It is only a question and was hoping some one has don this in the past. The AVR will be close to the amp I am hoping 1.5' cables or max 2" will be needed to connect. So RCA may be fine but again lust looking to start of with the best setup I can.

Thanks
I dunno how this RCA-XLR "hybrid" cable can work: the balanced interconnection is based on the fact that the signal is "mirrored" (counter-phased) at the source and the two copies run on different wires (the reason why XLR has 3 pins, while RCA just 2), so that all the noise that gets picked up gets canceled because of its random nature.
Btw a real balanced system has to be balanced from inside the source device to the end of the amplification chain: that means that all circuitry must be doubled, with a huge hit on production cost. So most devices that have XLR plugs have just a conversion circuit and are not internally balanced, thus making the balanced connection worse than RCA, unless you have to use balanced because you have the two devices very far apart.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I dunno how this RCA-XLR "hybrid" cable can work: the balanced interconnection is based on the fact that the signal is "mirrored" (counter-phased) at the source and the two copies run on different wires (the reason why XLR has 3 pins, while RCA just 2), so that all the noise that gets picked up gets canceled because of its random nature.
Btw a real balanced system has to be balanced from inside the source device to the end of the amplification chain: that means that all circuitry must be doubled, with a huge hit on production cost. So most devices that have XLR plugs have just a conversion circuit and are not internally balanced, thus making the balanced connection worse than RCA, unless you have to use balanced because you have the two devices very far apart.

But you can still benefit (not to full extent) from such a connection:

Page 17:

Rockman2

Some Youtubers are very knowledgeable in the topic they talk about but some are not. In this case, he's talking about a cable for connecting balanced output to unbalanced input. If that's what you want to do, then this cable may work for you, but that's if the female RCA cable is what you need, otherwise you can get one that has male RCA.

The Monoprice I linked is for connecting unbalanced output, such the pre out of an AVR, to the balanced input of a power amp, and I thought that's what you want to do.

Benchmark sells both, one for each application, again the one I link is for RCA out to XLR in, the one linked below is for XLR out to RCA in, the difference is, in this case, pin 3 is left floating:

So, pick your choice accordingly.

For XLR out to RCA in, there is a whole ASR thread:

For RCA out to XLR in:

There are likely many more such threads to read if you are interested.
I do need the male RCA to go into the AVR. This guy is reading from the Emotiva site. Will a configuration like you linked on page 17 from Hypex stress the components? Emotiva says it is not good. This is confusing. One company says it is correct and one says it is wrong.

Thanks

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do need the male RCA to go into the AVR.

Then just get a RCA male to XLR male cable, like the one of those I linked earlier, in post#1749. All 3 pictures show male to male! Do want the XLR end to plug into your power amp's XLR input?

This guy is reading from the Emotiva site. Will a configuration like you linked on page 17 from Hypex stress the components? Emotiva says it is not good. This is confusing. One company says it is correct and one says it is wrong.

Thanks

Did Emotiva really say that? Can you link the source please? Or you get confused by the two different cables mentioned, for two different applications.

To be clear:

1)The cable that Youtuber talked about, is for interconnecting the XLR output from something such as an AV preamp/processor output, to the RCA input of something such as a power amp.

2)The 3 cables I linked are for interconnecting the RCA output from something such as an AVR preamp output, to the XLR input of something such as a power amp.

Rockman2

Then just get a RCA male to XLR male cable, like the one of those I linked earlier, in post#1749. All 3 pictures show male to male! Do want the XLR end to plug into your power amp's XLR input?
I have both RCA and XLR input on my amp. The AVR will have RCA out only. The will be next to each other on a shelf so the cable should 1.5' to 2' so not too long. But I am asking before I buy cables if it would be better to get the RCA to XLR or just RCA to RCA. I just want to make the best decision upfront.

Did Emotiva really say that?
This is a quote off the Emotiva site:
The Proper Way To Connect a Balanced Output To an Unbalanced Input

When connecting a balanced output to an unbalanced input on modern audio gear, the proper way to do so is to connect the non-inverted output on the balanced output to the unbalanced input, and leave the inverted output unconnected. Many adapter cables, designed primarily for use with microphones, short the unused output pin to ground. While most equipment, including ours, will tolerate this without damage, it is not recommended, and may unnecessarily stress the output circuitry on your processor or preamp. This adapter was specifically designed to work optimally on modern balanced audio gear - and leaves the unused output line unconnected.

Can you link the source please? Or you get confused by the two different cables mentioned, for two different applications.

To be clear:

1)The cable that Youtuber talked about, is for interconnecting the XLR output from something such as an AV preamp/processor output, to the RCA input of something such as a power amp.

2)The 3 cables I linked are for interconnecting the RCA output from something such as an AVR preamp output, to the XLR input of something such as a power amp.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have both RCA and XLR input on my amp. The AVR will have RCA out only. The will be next to each other on a shelf so the cable should 1.5' to 2' so not too long. But I am asking before I buy cables if it would be better to get the RCA to XLR or just RCA to RCA. I just want to make the best decision upfront.

For such short distance, rca to rca should be just as good but personally I would still prefer RCA to XLR.

This is a quote off the Emotiva site:
The Proper Way To Connect a Balanced Output To an Unbalanced Input

When connecting a balanced output to an unbalanced input on modern audio gear, the proper way to do so is to connect the non-inverted output on the balanced output to the unbalanced input, and leave the inverted output unconnected. Many adapter cables, designed primarily for use with microphones, short the unused output pin to ground. While most equipment, including ours, will tolerate this without damage, it is not recommended, and may unnecessarily stress the output circuitry on your processor or preamp. This adapter was specifically designed to work optimally on modern balanced audio gear - and leaves the unused output line unconnected.

That's fine, but what is the confusion? Emotiva is obviously right, but they are talking about XLR output to RCA input. What you need is RCA output to XLR input. Two different applications! That's the point I tried to emphasize in my last post.

I really don't see any confusion here. If you still can't see the difference between the two and find it confusing, I have tried my best already..

Last edited:

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sorry if this was already posted. Interesting new vid posted yesterday on the new x2800/3800/4800:

I like how the new 3800/4800, for unified Atmos/Auro3D setups, will prioritize Atmos sound quality over Auro3D (by allowing Auro3D to utilize the top instead of height speakers, whereas the previous generation did the opposite).

I also like how they still insist Denon always improves performance with each new generation, even with the new regressions and then indicating performance is still good enough :p .

Now someone please get a 4800 to Amir to see if Japanese production addresses the performance regressions.....

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
This is not common with Denon and seems to happen only with certain sub brands. Seen complaints around SVS.
I have a Denon 4700 AVR and a pair of SVS SB2000 subs and have no problems with auto turn-on. Let's not spread unsubstantiated rumors.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry if this was already posted. Interesting new vid posted yesterday on the new x2800/3800/4800:

I like how the new 3800/4800, for unified Atmos/Auro3D setups, will prioritize Atmos sound quality over Auro3D (by allowing Auro3D to utilize the top instead of height speakers, whereas the previous generation did the opposite).

I also like how they still insist Denon always improves performance with each new generation, even with the new regressions and then indicating performance is still good enough :p .

Now someone please get a 4800 to Amir to see if Japanese production addresses the performance regressions.....
I mean what do you expect.

Imagine a Denon ad like
“Hi guys we really cheaped out this time. Our engineers were rather chilling and couldn’t be bothered to get the latest DAC chip in. So we just updated the label, added a RCA connector and made a promise for future Dirac implementation for whenever we feel like it.”

I am not sure that would keep the lights on. ;-)

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Denon 4700 AVR and a pair of SVS SB2000 subs and have no problems with auto turn-on. Let's not spread unsubstantiated rumors.
Agree. My KF92s switch on without a hitch (X3700).
It is more likely a problem with the sensitivity setting of the subs sleep automatic.

Top Bottom