• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro+ Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 56 15.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 290 79.7%

• Total voters

Shinobi

Hi there,

Quick question, did anyone try the sound modes ? I can't hear any difference between them...

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
I'm trying to figure out the value of the DX7 Pro+ ... where I live (Japan) it costs about the same as what I paid for both D90*+A90, which is slightly more pricey than what I've seen the D30Pro+A30Pro stack going for (by about 20%). Of course the DX7 Pro+ is just a single unit and more compact, which has many pluses/benefits...but is it really on par with the D90*+A90? If so, does this hold up for all of the inputs/outputs options?

*Earlier version of the D90 with the AK chip w/MQA (interestingly, I've seen this older version selling used for a higher price point than the D90 SE new, in Japan...must be AK fans).

Pat971

Hello
Has anyone ever listened to music files in DSD format with the DX7PRO+? I have white noise and crackling that start when I start playing DSD files. It is especially very strong with IEM. Even when I bring the volume and gain down to minimum the white noise and crackling continues until I turn off the device. I don't have this problem when I listen to files in PCM format.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Hello
Has anyone ever listened to music files in DSD format with the DX7PRO+? I have white noise and crackling that start when I start playing DSD files. It is especially very strong with IEM. Even when I bring the volume and gain down to minimum the white noise and crackling continues until I turn off the device. I don't have this problem when I listen to files in PCM format.
Probably because the unit has a digital volume control and for DSD to work correctly the DAC needs to be in fixed mode?

Pat971

Probably because the unit has a digital volume control and for DSD to work correctly the DAC needs to be in fixed mode?
Hello Snoopy.
Thank you for your answer. But what do you mean by fixed mode? Cordially

Pat971

Fixed mode is when a DAC is at 100% output and you can't adjust the volume anymore.
Hello Snoopy.
would that mean that I have to use the XLR or RCA output connected to an external amplifier to use it in fixed mode? Cordially

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Hello Snoopy.
would that mean that I have to use the XLR or RCA output connected to an external amplifier to use it in fixed mode? Cordially
Usually DACs with a volume knob have the option to change that In the settings.

Pat971

Usually DACs with a volume knob have the option to change that In the settings.
hello snoopy
So you can't listen to audio files in DSD format directly on the DAC's built-in amplifier without the annoying noises? Do we have to use an external amplifier with XLR or RCA output to listen to DSD files without noise?

Pat971

Fixed volume output = DAC mode

Variable volume output = preamp mode
Hello Overseas
I saw the configuration in DAC mode. But it is only for use with an external amp. Do you have a trick for not having the noises by using the DAC's integrated amplifier? Thank you

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Hello Overseas
I saw the configuration in DAC mode. But it is only for use with an external amp. Do you have a trick for not having the noises by using the DAC's integrated amplifier? Thank you
There is no "trick" to do that

Pat971

Hello Overseas. Thank you for your assistance. Do you know of any DAC amplifiers that do not produce parasitic noise in the headphone output when listening to DSD files? ? Come cordially

Pat971

There is no "trick" to do that
Sorry
Hello Snoopy. Thank you for your assistance. Do you know of any DAC amplifiers that do not produce parasitic noise in the headphone output when listening to DSD files? ? Come cordially

Overseas

Major Contributor
Sorry, I have no experience with DSD. But I would suggest that a non-compatible scenario would give you breaks, interruptions. If it is continuous sound, no matter how bad, maybe it is some solution.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Sorry
Hello Snoopy. Thank you for your assistance. Do you know of any DAC amplifiers that do not produce parasitic noise in the headphone output when listening to DSD files? ? Come cordially

Every DAC that has a "fixed mode" and supports dsd

Pat971

Sorry, I have no experience with DSD. But I would suggest that a non-compatible scenario would give you breaks, interruptions. If it is continuous sound, no matter how bad, maybe it is some solution.
OK it's noted. Thank you very much for all this information. Best regards

Top Bottom