• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research B24 AC Cord Review

Rate this AC Cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 371 95.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 12 3.1%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...but be careful. These are dangerous voltages, and you can burn the house down.

maty

Major Contributor
$25 :D

Build your own budget HiFI power cable.png

Partslist:

Sleeve: Ali-Express - https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005002520404859.html

Koperfolie: Amazon - https://www.amazon.nl/Geepro-koperfolie-tape-geleidende-lijm/dp/B01KHFTDT6/

Pluggen: Ali Express - https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32843646640.html

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

egellings

Major Contributor
I just use the bog-standard cords that come with the equipment, and they work just fine. I had a chance to borrow a fancy cord from a serious audiophile acquaintance of mine, and I tried it on my preamp. I carefully listened with both cords, long term, and try as I might, I simply could not hear a difference. Of course, my audiophile buddy said that my equipment was not resolving enough, or that I have tin ears. I replied by saying that since either the equipment isn't good enough to show a difference or that I cannot hear the effect of the new cord, then it makes sense not to buy it if a cheaper cord works just as well. I still enjoy the music as much as he does, and that all it is about.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just use the bog-standard cords that come with the equipment, and they work just fine. I had a chance to borrow a fancy cord from a serious audiophile acquaintance of mine, and I tried it on my preamp. I carefully listened with both cords, long term, and try as I might, I simply could not hear a difference. Of course, my audiophile buddy said that my equipment was not resolving enough, or that I have tin ears. I replied by saying that since either the equipment isn't good enough to show a difference or that I cannot hear the effect of the new cord, then it makes sense not to buy it if a cheaper cord works just as well. I still enjoy the music as much as he does, and that all it is about.
It's always like that. If you can't believe their nonsense, your system is obviously deficient, or your ears, or both. And of course, no one tries to measure differences.

maty

Major Contributor
If one (as me) has strong interference problems via the electrical grid, the professional solution involves the use of RF/EMI filters.

And DC Blockers if there is too much DC in the grid, affecting the transformers.

Trying to solve it with cables, especially if it is a great expense, is a mistake. The previous DIY cable or one with star-quad geometry and the rest of the money better spent on professional solutions.

If the audio hardware was well designed and built it should be immune to these problems, but unfortunately this is not the case for the vast majority.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If one (as me) has strong interference problems via the electrical grid, the professional solution involves the use of RF/EMI filters.

And DC Blockers if there is too much DC in the grid, affecting the transformers.

If the audio hardware was well designed and built it should be immune to these problems, but unfortunately this is not the case for the vast majority.
True enough. Oddly, you don't see many simple line filters in the audiophile world, nor DC blockers. Probably not enough essential snake oil in them.

egellings

Major Contributor
I suspect that if power cords did make measurable differences after meeting ampacity requirements of the equipment they power, the differences would be so microscopic in size that attempting to hear the differences caused by the cords would be futile under blind matched volume level listening tests. If by chance you could hear a difference at all, you'd ending paying an exorbitant price for such a little improvement.

maty

Major Contributor
Some amplifiers has a DC inside.

Akitika - DC Scraper Kit for the GT-102 Nullifies the Effect of Asymmetric Power - the amplifier: 349-549$

Audio Van Alstine too

Lamm Industries M1.2 Reference monoblock: $34,990/pair

Others have added a good RF/EMI filter later, case of Musical Fidelity M3i vs M3si.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can buy IEC inlets with RF/EMI filtering, too. If your amp has enough room inside for the larger case, one of those may be a simple solution.

maty

Major Contributor
I have many Schaffner RF/EMI filters of 3A, and two of 10A, in my two audio systems. And a lot of Würth 150 kHz ferrites.

Schaffner FN-9244 B, 3A

B = medical version

Schaffner FN9244.png

DonR

Major Contributor
I have many Schaffner RF/EMI filters of 3A, and two of 10A, in my two audio systems. And a lot of Würth 150 kHz ferrites.

Schaffner FN-9244 B, 3A

B = medical version

View attachment 226987
I can see a market for external "audiophile" grade units that plug into IEC connectors. hmmm.... :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Schaffner FN-9244 B, 3A

B = medical version

View attachment 226987
Nice to see a sensible approach to RFI/EMI. You can buy a lot of actual working filters for the price of one useless, goofy snake-oil cord.

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
72BC8571-60C0-45CC-91B0-7065918B1DDC.jpeg

On some days my audio lacks incisive clarity and I discovered if I add one of my modded extension cords using these replacement plugs things seem to brighten up. I’ve only tested this replacement plug option (so far).

Depending on the day, my mood and music genre I I keep 3 cords at the ready. One with male plug only, provides a bit more extension. For focus in the mid range and image depth I prefer the version with just the female end replaced. The cord with both plugs is reserved for very dark, dense tracks ie Wagner, or especially gloomy days.

I haven’t checked cable length and gauge variation contribution yet.

Sincerely,
Scott

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
View attachment 260012

On some days my audio lacks incisive clarity and I discovered if I add one of my modded extension cords using these replacement plugs things seem to brighten up. I’ve only tested this replacement plug option (so far).

Depending on the day, my mood and music genre I I keep 3 cords at the ready. One with male plug only, provides a bit more extension. For focus in the mid range and image depth I prefer the version with just the female end replaced. The cord with both plugs is reserved for very dark, dense tracks ie Wagner, or especially gloomy days.

I haven’t checked cable length and gauge variation contribution yet.

Sincerely,
Scott
Unless you confirm that this is an effect that is part of objective reality, with a decent double-blind test, then this is all just in your imagination.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Unless you confirm that this is an effect that is part of objective reality, with a decent double-blind test, then this is all just in your imagination.
thatsthejoke.jpg

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
I realized after the post got “flagged” for mod review I needed to find a huge “tongue in cheek” smiley since I’m a new kid on the block definitely not attempting to troll. Attempting some humor which the vein I hope it’s taken.

Top Bottom