• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey's Next Generation of Room Correction (MultEQ-X)

Are you a current Denon/Marantz AVR Owner and if so what do you think of Audyssey's MultEQ-X?

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable. I've already purchased it.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable. I’m willing to spend the money once I learn more.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is too high. Anything lower is better.

• I'm not a current Denon/Marantz AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable.

• I'm not a current Denon/Marantz AVR owner. $200 price is too high. Anything lower lower is better.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable, but I don't like the restrictive terms. Wont buy.

• I'm not an owner. $200 price is acceptable, but I don't like the restrictive terms. Wont buy.

• Other (please explain).

Results are only viewable after voting.

montyliam

Yeah, it’s the way I do it. I got fantastic results using REW.

How I did it was:
1) run MQX with the Audyssey mic
2) remove all of the filters on my LR
3) move that calibration over to the AVR (save as originalMeasurment)
4) take measurements with MultiEQ on with the recently uploaded preset in REW (if you use DEQ then leave that on)
5) flatten curve to taste in REW and export the EQ
6) open MQX and the originalMeasurment file , exclude the LR channels (all measurement positions
7) import the Left and Right REW files (you may have to click Individual measurements)

Now when you measure in REW you’ll get almost the exact predicted results.

So the key is having to measure with the MultiEQ (and possibly DEQ) on then modify that. It’s confusing but it works very well
I used the same process. I realised that at least one measurement needs to be done with Audyessy to be able to use MultEQX properly, but that this measurement can then be excluded allowing you to only use REW EQ filters, worked great for me too!

montyliam

And as others suggested, I ended up with a slope of 1db/octave for the mains which sounded much better than flat!

GalZohar

Better leave DEQ off if you want to flatten the response. Then after you are done, you can decide if you like DEQ on or not. If you flatten the response with DEQ on, you won't be able to change the master volume, not be able to turn DEQ off without breaking everything, nor will you be able to use DEQ for its original purpose.

pmar4015

Better leave DEQ off if you want to flatten the response. Then after you are done, you can decide if you like DEQ on or not. If you flatten the response with DEQ on, you won't be able to change the master volume, not be able to turn DEQ off without breaking everything, nor will you be able to use DEQ for its original purpose.
Agreed. I was thinking exactly the same thing. I dont see how you can eq to a curve that is by definition “dynamic” unless, as you say, you never change the master volume

montyliam

Agreed. I was thinking exactly the same thing. I dont see how you can eq to a curve that is by definition “dynamic” unless, as you say, you never change the master volume
What does DEQ do exactly? I've currently got it disabled!

Zedly

Forum Donor
DEQ is a form of equal-loudness adjustment. The idea is that, at lower volumes, a larger boost of the bass is required to make the bass have the same perceptual loudness. DEQ does exactly this: as you adjust the volume on your receiver, it boosts the bass frequencies accordingly. The settings in the DEQ menu determine how aggressively the bass is boosted. Here is a graph from my system that shows how the bass is adjusted at different volume levels.

DEQ.jpg

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Equal loudness compensation requires not just low frequency, but also high frequency boost...which is also apparent in your graph. Think of DEQ as a much more sophisticated version of the 'loudness' button on old receivers.

DEQ also has an offset feature that allows the user to set at what master volume level DEQ compensation starts to kick in. This exists because different sources eg movies vs pop music vs 'classical', are variously mastered 'loud' and don't need to be boosted so 'soon'.. So if you listen to mostly classical (not loud), you set it one way, if mostly modern pop (LOUD) set in another . It's a bit of a muddle, unfortunately...in an idea world, there would be 'loudness' standards across production media.

Last but not least, Audyssey brains determined (with not much literature support) that the rear channels also need overall level compensation at lower volumes, so DEQ boosts them a few dB, which a fair number of Audyssey users hate. (You can manually lower them back if so, though it's not a perfect fix)

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
What does DEQ do exactly? I've currently got it disabled!
If you mainly use the volume control to boost quiet source material or pull back overly loud source material, aiming to always listen at a consistent average loudness in your room, then DEQ will do something that you very much don’t want!

montyliam

If you mainly use the volume control to boost quiet source material or pull back overly loud source material, aiming to always listen at a consistent average loudness in your room, then DEQ will do something that you very much don’t want!
I listen mainly closer to reference levels watching films!

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First, any Youtube video that claims to 'expose' something like Audyssey is suspect, and second, he clearly has no clue what DEQ is for. 'Simplified' indeed.

montyliam

Does anyone have any advice on how to integrate properly the sub to each of the LCR? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to optimise integration accross the LCR and not just individually? Would Multi Sub Optimiser be useful even though I'm only using one sub?

pmar4015

I could never get MSO to work in terms of alignment with mains (although I had fabulous results using MSO align subs with each other…..probably user error on my part however); furthermore, my understanding, as a general matter (i.e. not specific to MSO), is you have to choose between L/R or the Center channel (or find the best compromise). I use the approach (assuming you have access to a measurement microphone and REW) found in the following link:
. Also, the alignment tool in REW is very handy as well.

chych7

Does anyone have any advice on how to integrate properly the sub to each of the LCR? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to optimise integration accross the LCR and not just individually? Would Multi Sub Optimiser be useful even though I'm only using one sub?
I use Multi Sub Optimizer to do this with subs+mains integration. Works pretty well, smooth transition from subs to each LCR.

montyliam

One more question (sorry for being annoying), is it best practice to EQ the LCR with crossovers enabled or disabled?

Also does anyone happen to know the slopes of the crossovers in the Denon AVR. I’ve been reading through the thread and seen mentioned 2nd order high pass for the main channels and 4th order low pass for the LFE?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With one sub MultiEQX does a good job. MSO is helpful for multiple subs.

I don’t understand your last question from your last post. Audyssey always measures speakers individually (for good reason) and automatically keeps everything neutral before then calculating the EQ filters and suggesting xovers

pmar4015

One more question (sorry for being annoying), is it best practice to EQ the LCR with crossovers enabled or disabled?

Also does anyone happen to know the slopes of the crossovers in the Denon AVR. I’ve been reading through the thread and seen mentioned 2nd order high pass for the main channels and 4th order low pass for the LFE?
With one sub MultiEQX does a good job. MSO is helpful for multiple subs.

I don’t understand your last question from your last post. Audyssey always measures speakers individually (for good reason) and automatically keeps everything neutral before then calculating the EQ filters and suggesting xovers
Your second comment is interesting in that I have never fully understood if Audyssey suggested crossovers are based on the lowest frequency response the speaker can reasonably handle or rather the suggested XOVER is a function of whatever frequency provides the best ‘alignment’. I believe the former but am far from certain on that.

montyliam

Your second comment is interesting in that I have never fully understood if Audyssey suggested crossovers are based on the lowest frequency response the speaker can reasonably handle or rather the suggested XOVER is a function of whatever frequency provides the best ‘alignment’. I believe the former but am far from certain on that.
Im going to do some loop back measurements with REW and my AVR to see what the crossovers are doing!

montyliam

Does anyone know why when I import EQ filters from REW, the gains of each PEQ aren't also imported, only Freq and Q?

Top Bottom