• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ZeroSurge 2R15W Surge Protector Review

Rate this surge protector:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 49 37.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 20 15.3%

• Total voters

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You missed the point. This thing may surge protect much better than a typical MOV based surge protector. But that was not tested.
True, and I agree on that point.

EL_PW

Forum Donor
When I rented, series mode surge suppressors were good piece of mind. Landlords didn't have much interest in installing whole-home surge suppressors. And you'd be surprised how many MOV surge suppressors will continue to operate without warning after their MOVs are worn out and you no longer have protection.
Too true! Currently using network grade power distribution units (PDU's) with resettable breakers for office equip and audio. Built like tanks. So far so good.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
This is what Amir should have tested. Not the rediculous test of filtering the AC, which is not claimed at all. ZeroSurge claims shielding and EMI/RFI filtering which does nothing to audio frequencies.
[...]
This is what I would call useful SCIENCE.

Too much coffee?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

jomo

Too much coffee?
Maybe. But I hate these "tests" that basically bash a product for something it does not claim, all the while not testing product for what it does claim. Basically, 40% have given this a rating of poor because that's that way the product was tested and the review written.

It would be good to know if this suppresses voltage spikes to a much lower voltage than a typical MOV based voltage suppressor and does it over and over without failure. If it does this, this would paint a different picture and may be a useful product.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe. But I hate these "tests" that basically bash a product for something it does not claim, all the while not testing product for what it does claim. Basically, 40% have given this a rating of poor because that's that way the product was tested and the review written.

It would be good to know if this suppresses voltage spikes to a much lower voltage than a typical MOV based voltage suppressor and does it over and over without failure. If it does this, this would paint a different picture and may be a useful product.
Several people here thought it actually filtered. The marketing stuff is rather vague about that, and could be misleading.

Triliza

Forum Donor
This is what Amir should have tested.
Not a good idea at all. Beside his personal safety, the Klippel and the analyzer thing are around there, we can't risk having them toasted :eek:

This seems more like a project for the fellow from EEVblog. Judging from his photo, @restorer-john may be up to the task. Or someone else (so long as he is an Aussie :p)

DonR

Major Contributor
Several people here thought it actually filtered. The marketing stuff is rather vague about that, and could be misleading.
It probably does some filtering but in a band much higher up. RFI filters are found in just about everything these days. I agree with the above posters that it would be nice to see how effective it is at surge suppression but I also understand that this is beyond the remit of ASR. I wonder if there is a website that objectively tests surge suppression devices.

elvisizer

sure, that's fine- but testing the overload protection was what I clicked on the review hoping to see, oh well . . . . .

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
sure, that's fine- but testing the overload protection was what I clicked on the review hoping to see, oh well . . . . .
Never seen Amir test that. Maybe he could, or should?

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Never seen Amir test that. Maybe he could, or should?
Would need way more than an AP analyser to do that.

I still want to see the mains FFT output from a true online (double conversion) UPS. I've been asking for years! That will, very likely, actually have an effect on the AC harmonics. Not a standby UPS, not a line-interactive UPS, a true full online double conversion UPS.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would need way more than an AP analyser to do that.
Sure, but it's not that tough as long as the surge power is reasonable.

McFly

Something like this should do it /s

1674591741804.png

Source: LTT

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
I can find this claim about audio improvement on their site, which depending on the electrical problem the buyer had, I could see this resolving. I have audible hum but a cheaper unit than this one from Amazon cured it. So why one and two star reviews for not doing something the manufacturer doesn't seem to claim?

Trumpets are loud today.

“I recently purchased a new curved 65″ Samsung TV with sound system and subwoofer and wanted the best surge protection. After I installed your 8R15W-I, the TV picture improved and the sound system clarity was better. You’re the originator of this product, so why go to others that are similar? Original is always best! Great product, great quality, USA…what more is there to say?” – Gustav B., Philadelphia, PA

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
I'm confused. I looked at their site an saw only one letter from a buyer say anything about audio improvements.

Why are you stating that this is being marketed for it's audio improvement purposes, and not for it's surge protection purposes? Mostly their buyers seem to be professional / commercial users protecting electrical gear generally.

It's like rating bananas one star because some people use bananas to cure cancer, and you're now saying bananas suck because your testing proves bananas can't cure cancer.

supercargo

The marketing claims seem to flirt with audiophool nonsense without actually crossing the line. Maybe they let customer testimonials do the dirty work.

As far as ASR reviews go, it’s fine to say it’s “not broken” in terms of rated power or added noise, but without the ability to produce the issues that are claimed to be fixed I really don’t think we are in any position to pass judgment.

My evaluation of the product and it’s suitability was based on company claims backed by (more company claims) about their large scale and presumably knowledgeable customers spending much mote consequential amounts of money on said protection.

Some independent verification would be nice, though!

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would not expect it to produce an audible improvement, and it does not claim to be doing that. As such, it's a refreshing improvement over stuff such as the PS Audio power regenerators.

Now is it a good bargain? IDK. Seems like this job (which I think is necessary) could be done as well for cheaper. It is good that it doesn't affect amplifier performance, though. At least it does no harm.

Presumably it does the job of surge protection. Presumably.

In any case, a much needed category of devices to add to the things reviewed here. Thank you for this, Amir.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The problem of electrical surges is real. Surge Protection is a specialized, even arcane area. We would like to understand a bit more about that and devise tests for these. I have no doubts this is a serious undertaking, outside , perhaps of the purview of ASR.. or is it? Mhhhh? :) @amirm . Even some basic test? I know from experience this cannot be easy , many such tests are of the destructive types, IOW, the DUT does not survive some tests...
I did do some investigation but could not get my arounds exactly what is needed for testing. You need a chamber for protection and then right equipment to generate the surges and such. And yes, the device could easily be destroyed. The one thing that gave me pause is the dangers involved in testing. We are talking about very lethal voltages and currents and any mistake could have dire consequences.

I agree that this is badly needed. There are thousands and thousands of these devices with no independent third party performing any efficacy and safety testing on them. If someone has full competency in this field, would be great for them to contact me and educate me on what all is involved and whether it is wise for me to get involved in it.

Top Bottom