• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ZeroSurge 2R15W Surge Protector Review

Rate this surge protector:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 49 37.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 20 15.3%

• Total voters

Lambda

Major Contributor
Uhm....I hope you're trolling.
Well i don't regularly have big particles in my tab water big enough to filter with a sieve. So i would conclude it dose not filter at all.

Same way assume Amir don't has regularly big surges on his mains. So he would conclude it dose not filter at all.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well i don't regularly have big particles in my tab water big enough to filter with a sieve. So i would conclude it dose not filter at all.

Same way assume Amir don't has regularly big surges on his mains. So he would conclude it dose not filter at all.
I think I see the problem here. Surge protection is not the same concept as filtering. Filtering is a discrimination based on frequency. Surge protection is discrimination or suppression based on voltage and current.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Temporary for the device I hope and not for Amir.:p
I'm sure Amir knows to stand well back for the more exciting tests.

amm

index.php

index.php

These two spectrum images look quite different an do not seem to match the overlay FFT?
I believe the overlay FFT has a different bin width (resolution bandwidth) selection, so the frequency resolution displayed is different.

Pio

Forum Donor
So many companies were getting away with products like these when there was no one to truly test / confirm / expose. Our gain is their loss..

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes but as demonstrated in the review, ”filtering” of AC is pointless, so just judge it on surge protection, which I guess we have to take on trust.
But if you’re having to trust them on their word, then why would they put filtering capability on the box. That doesn’t warm my heart (especially on those grounds).

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sadly a friend of mine had a Panamax surge protector for his Marantz amplifier, which was fried during an electric storm. To get the "up to $250,000 guarantee" he had to get a fire marshall to state that the cause of the Marantz failure was because the Panamax failing to do its job. The fire marshall said he can not be sure the equipment was plugged into the Panamax at the time and not plugged in afterwards. Making the guarantee worthless.

So read the fine print on these "surge protectors" - many aren't worth anything, and some reduce current so badly as to be worse than worthless.

Lambda

Major Contributor
I think I see the problem here. Surge protection is not the same concept as filtering. Filtering is a discrimination based on frequency. Surge protection is discrimination or suppression based on voltage and current.
As i said:
depends on your definition of filtering
". Filtering is a discrimination based on frequency." is your definition but not the only definition and mening of filter.

It's totally valid to call it filter even if it only filters out big over voltage(or current surges).
Why would it filter out something that is totally normal and in spec? this would waste energy. as i understand it only starts filtering at a critical voltage level. (or rises time?).

Your fule filter is not filtering out "bad chemicals" from your fuel to make your car go faster. it's only filtering out big chunks of dirt that could plug up the injectors.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Why would it filter out something that is totally normal and in spec? this would waste energy. as i understand it only starts filtering at a critical voltage level. (or rises time?).

They even say it has Dynamic Filtering onset.
1674566648896.png

So i would not expect this thing to "filter" below 172V and below peak voltage +2V

prerich

CedarX

Forum Donor
Well.......they did say it. Maybe they should have stopped at the surge info.
Exactly! And that’s the issue here—not the surge protection claims (most likely valid, but not tested).
If Nike were to produce running shoes claiming audio performance improvements on my AirPods, they would be subject to Amir unforgiving tests (Run Amir !!! Run…).

Lambda

Major Contributor
Well.......they did say it
While misleading, technically not wrong.
Surges and EMI can cause equipment to malfunction and thereby reduce performance.
No one is claiming it being likely but surely one could construct a borderline edge case where this devices "filters" enough to so a connected device would not malfunction but without this it would.

TeeMann

My house is surrounded by large oak trees, and a high voltage overhead power line nearby. As such, I would lose one to two electronic items a year to lightning surges, particularly TV's and computer supplies. After installing regular battery backups on the computers and the APC H15 in the HT room, I have not (cross fingers) lost a single piece to strikes in a few years. The H15 is also pretty handy for power up cycling of several amplifiers too. No...it does not do anything to/for the audio! https://www.apc.com/us/en/product/H15BLK/apc-av-black-1-5kva-h-type-power-conditioner-120v/

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As i said:

". Filtering is a discrimination based on frequency." is your definition but not the only definition and mening of filter.

It's totally valid to call it filter even if it only filters out big over voltage(or current surges).

Your fule filter is not filtering out "bad chemicals" from your fuel to make your car go faster. it's only filtering out big chunks of dirt that could plug up the injectors.
OK sure. You can make up stuff as you go along if you want. But the rest of the profession will define filtering as I said.

Top Bottom