• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 55 12.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 394 86.0%

• Total voters

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wish it was just money. Harman wants me to ship them to some third-party repair place in LA. Shipping these monsters requires putting them in crate and paying good money to send them down -- likely by freight. On top of that, I suspect all these people would do is swap boards and charge a fortune. So I have not been able to convince myself to go down this path. Current hope is to find the time to take them apart and see what is failing.

FYI the above is the issue with monoblocks. The stereo unit works fine. That is what I have been using although lately I switched to using a Purifi amp if the power is not needed for testing.
When Mark Levinson was here in Massachusetts, I had them “service” my ML-11 and ML-12 combo: let’s say I was not impressed by the quality/price of the service. The not so faint background noise was not resolved, and they were unable to provide a new user’s manual.

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Right now I realized that @amirm did a second measurement with tightened speaker connections. I remember there also was an issue using the banana plugs measuring the Benchmark AHB2 so @amirm decided to user the professional speakon plug.

It would be nice to see a measurement of the NCx500 with a speakon connector.

Maybe the increased distortion at higher power output will be gone :oops:

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
Sorry, it is about full understanding of the issue. The connector is not the cure, the cure is 4-point, 4-terminal measuring method.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
everything what we produced there has been moved to our own Malaysian factory since then

Here, in the old Seetek EMS factory:

100% owned by Hypex.

I believe it was orignally a washing machine parts supplier factory.

1674475298338.png

goryu

@Hypexsales

Any idea if the individual nilai500 modules and smps' are going to be available as promised in the next week? We are running out of January! Thanks!

Hypexsales

Audio Company
@Hypexsales

Any idea if the individual nilai500 modules and smps' are going to be available as promised in the next week? We are running out of January! Thanks!
Unfortunately end of January is not feasible anymore to launch online. We are working hard on new websites for www.hypex.nl and www.diyclassd.com. the intention was to launch these websites half of january but they are not 100% finished and will now be ready and online end of February. We will then also open the shop for pre sales on the seperate Nilai500DIY and PS500DIY. Production of these modules as well as new stock of the kits has been delayed by yet another supply chain issue with long leadtime components.

goryu

Unfortunately end of January is not feasible anymore to launch online. We are working hard on new websites for www.hypex.nl and www.diyclassd.com. the intention was to launch these websites half of january but they are not 100% finished and will now be ready and online end of February. We will then also open the shop for pre sales on the seperate Nilai500DIY and PS500DIY. Production of these modules as well as new stock of the kits has been delayed by yet another supply chain issue with long leadtime components.
Thank you for your update. Very disappointing to hear. I need 6 sets and have been waiting a long time...not sure how much longer I can hold out...ugh....Thanks again.

Hypexsales

Audio Company
Thank you for your update. Very disappointing to hear. I need 6 sets and have been waiting a long time...not sure how much longer I can hold out...ugh....Thanks again.
I understand that and I do apologies but the moment we launch for pre-sales and the moment when we can ship are different dates. We mentioned end of January for when we will be launching them (pre-sales) but previously were not sure when they would be on stock actualy. of course we were hoping for stock right now but they world of electronics availability is not kind to us the last few years.

goryu

I understand that and I do apologies but the moment we launch for pre-sales and the moment when we can ship are different dates. We mentioned end of January for when we will be launching them (pre-sales) but previously were not sure when they would be on stock actualy. of course we were hoping for stock right now but they world of electronics availability is not kind to us the last few years.
Understood. I can understand the need for presales to give you a better demand estimate but I can't help but wonder if it isn't counterproductive in the long run when the time lag between announcement, pre sales, and actual fulfillment becomes excessively long. I certainly understand that part procurement issues are outside your control. It's an unfortunate situation for all.

Hypexsales

Audio Company
Understood. I can understand the need for presales to give you a better demand estimate but I can't help but wonder if it isn't counterproductive in the long run when the time lag between announcement, pre sales, and actual fulfillment becomes excessively long. I certainly understand that part procurement issues are outside your control. It's an unfortunate situation for all.
It is far from ideal indeed and we also wish we could have more control. Normally when launched we have stock so we can ship immediately. Lets just hope "normal" will come back soon but our expectations is that we will be in this mess for another 2 years before leadtmises get back to "normal"

pma

Major Contributor
The situation on the electronic components market, both active and passive, is really disappointing, worldwide. Lead time often 8 months, depending on 1 - 2x a year production batch. We need to find substitutes on a regular basis. Really disappointing.

Hypexsales

Audio Company
The situation on the electronic components market, both active and passive, is really disappointing, worldwide. Lead time often 8 months, depending on 1 - 2x a year production batch. We need to find substitutes on a regular basis. Really disappointing.
exactly. the same here. we even get 80 weeks lead-times sometimes. just crazy.

Endibol

Forum Donor
I purchased the Levinson amps 10+ years ago when such technology was not available. They are also quite powerful with the monoblocks delivering 1000 watts each into 4 ohm load. Even the stereo unit reaches up to 800 watts. So these amps are not yet there as far as power delivery. But yes, today I would opt for these amps than the Levinsons.

I must say though, the Mark Levinson amps do look like serious gear which these boxes lack. :)
Thanks @amirm , clear statement. If I take your statement and the measurements into account we are at the beginning of the end of Class A and A/B. However, I believe that people like @restorer-john don't agree with this.
Some people claim that class D will suffer from intermodulation products caused by the 450 kHz (or so) switching-frequency. Basically I am open to this argument, but why don't I see these intermodulation products then in the 32-tone test? What is it I don't understand?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thanks @amirm , clear statement. If I take your statement and the measurements into account we are at the beginning of the end of Class A and A/B. However, I believe that people like @restorer-john don't agree with this.
Some people claim that class D will suffer from intermodulation products caused by the 450 kHz (or so) switching-frequency. Basically I am open to this argument, but why don't I see these intermodulation products then in the 32-tone test? What is it I don't understand?
The usual concern about high-frequency intermodulation effects is because the tweeters (in the speaker systems) generate IMD when presented with such high signals, modulating "electromechanically" to create distortion that falls into the audible frequency range. An electrical test at the output of the amp will not show that.

pma

Major Contributor
The usual concern about high-frequency intermodulation effects is because the tweeters (in the speaker systems) generate IMD when presented with such high signals, modulating "electromechanically" to create distortion that falls into the audible frequency range. An electrical test at the output of the amp will not show that.

About 10mA(rms) 400kHz flows from my NC252MP to my speaker in a "room listening" configuration. With all the cable and speaker inductance.

NC252MP_idle_speakercurrent.JPG

Top Bottom