• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH420 Review (Studio Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 5.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 488 93.5%

• Total voters

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
I love the 420's more and more everyday.. enjoying them right now as I get ahead on some work..
Curious as to your room size? I’m wondering if they’d work for me in my 14.3’x 16.1’x 8’ room. Neumann says to keep them 1.25m minimum away from wall boundaries. Looks like they’re somewhat closer to the wall. Are you using room correction?

Btw is that a EMT or Fidelity Reesearch FR7 variant on the table? Like the vinyl too

Thanks

Reactions: Pio

Ciobi69

I love the 420's more and more everyday.. enjoying them right now as I get ahead on some work..
beautiful setup man. if i can ask. i did notice that you have the JBL 4367, awesome speakers, which one do you prefer between the 420 and 4367? thank you! i am wishing to find a pair of used kh 420 soo that i can sell all my passive audio gear

Pio

Forum Donor
Curious as to your room size? I’m wondering if they’d work for me in my 14.3’x 16.1’x 8’ room. Neumann says to keep them 1.25m minimum away from wall boundaries. Looks like they’re somewhat closer to the wall. Are you using room correction?

Btw is that a EMT or Fidelity Reesearch FR7 variant on the table? Like the vinyl too

Thanks
Hi and thanks!!!

My room is fairly small as well approx. 14.5 x 11.5. However, this is my voice over room as well, so it's highly treated - for my taste a tad too dead, but works nicely and I'm used to it now.

No room correction. The 420's are spaced about 7.5 feet apart, about 1 foot or so from the front wall / wall behind them. The vinyl storage rack is closer than optimal, but I don't hear any weirdness that decreases enjoyment. The bass response is incredible and the best I've had in the room. These go lower in my room than the 15" woofer in the JBL's 4367. Both speakers are incredibly revealing (I love em both) but prefer the bass on the 420's. When we get a larger place, I want to get the 780 subs.. but thats way down the line.
Neumann recommendations are in the attached pic .

The TTs are Technics 1200G and a 1210 GR, I have a small collection of carts, but I've been using the Denon DL103 110th anniversary carts exclusively for a little over a year now. The tube amp is a Woo Audio WA2 from 2010 or so. It's a headphone amp, but back then they used to offer a pre-amp switch in the back to run a power amp.. the new ones dont offer that, sadly.

Cheers!!!
Pio

Attachments

• 420 Placement.png
    420 Placement.png
    231.8 KB · Views: 72

Pio

Forum Donor
beautiful setup man. if i can ask. i did notice that you have the JBL 4367, awesome speakers, which one do you prefer between the 420 and 4367? thank you! i am wishing to find a pair of used kh 420 soo that i can sell all my passive audio gear
Thanks so much!!!

Check reverb.com if you haven't, I love it and have bought a bunch of gear there, its ebay for audio stuff. There's a listing for the KH420 at 4,072, which is not bad!

On the 4367, I absolutely love them. However, (most likely because of my smaller room) I'm getting better / deeper bass response from the 420's, so been rockin them since I got them in June. I can't wait to have a larger space to have them both set up..

Cheers!

Ciobi69

Thanks so much!!!

Check reverb.com if you haven't, I love it and have bought a bunch of gear there, its ebay for audio stuff. There's a listing for the KH420 at 4,072, which is not bad!

On the 4367, I absolutely love them. However, (most likely because of my smaller room) I'm getting better / deeper bass response from the 420's, so been rockin them since I got them in June. I can't wait to have a larger space to have them both set up..

Cheers!
thank you man, i didn't know reverb!, also let us know!

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
Hi and thanks!!!

My room is fairly small as well approx. 14.5 x 11.5. However, this is my voice over room as well, so it's highly treated - for my taste a tad too dead, but works nicely and I'm used to it now.

No room correction. The 420's are spaced about 7.5 feet apart, about 1 foot or so from the front wall / wall behind them. The vinyl storage rack is closer than optimal, but I don't hear any weirdness that decreases enjoyment. The bass response is incredible and the best I've had in the room. These go lower in my room than the 15" woofer in the JBL's 4367. Both speakers are incredibly revealing (I love em both) but prefer the bass on the 420's. When we get a larger place, I want to get the 780 subs.. but thats way down the line.
Neumann recommendations are in the attached pic .

The TTs are Technics 1200G and a 1210 GR, I have a small collection of carts, but I've been using the Denon DL103 110th anniversary carts exclusively for a little over a year now. The tube amp is a Woo Audio WA2 from 2010 or so. It's a headphone amp, but back then they used to offer a pre-amp switch in the back to run a power amp.. the new ones dont offer that, sadly.

Cheers!!!
Pio
Thanks, is the front wall that the 420’s are close to, the short dimension 11.5’? How close to side walls? Don’t imagine you run out of gas filling the room with sound :p

I’ve seen the Neumann recommendations that’s why I was curious how they were working for you close to the wall. I was misreading them prior. Seems they are ok with them under 2.5’ from the wall. 2.5’- 6’ is to be avoided

Pio on AK too?

Cheers to you sir!

HairyEars

One man's clinical is another's musical :)
Have you compared 8361 to KH420? Thanks

Clearly, you shouldn’t form your opinion on other people’s opinion, but here’s a quick summery of the view of some people vis-a-vis the musicality of those monitors. A common complaint about Genelec in GearSpace is that they “sound too good/they make thinks pretty.” When some members inquire about monitors that would impress their clients, a Genelec suggestion is blurted out almost immediately. In my book, that’s a tastement of their musicality.

Now, if we turn our gaze to KH420, the title of this YouTube KH420 clip is Big & Boring:

Did he say boring?….Draw your own conclusion.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Clearly, you shouldn’t form your opinion on other people’s opinion, but here’s a quick summery of the view of some people vis-a-vis the musicality of those monitors. A common complaint about Genelec in GearSpace is that they “sound too good/they make thinks pretty.” When some members inquire about monitors that would impress their clients, a Genelec suggestion is blurted out almost immediately. In my book, that’s a tastement of their musicality.

Now, if we turn our gaze to KH420, the title of this YouTube KH420 clip is Big & Boring:

Did he say boring?….Draw your own conclusion.
Actually the KH120 I had were boring
That's the reason I sold them.
Genelecs are more exciting to listen to that's for sure.
Obviously the KH420 is different than KH120 but never had a chance to listen to them

YSDR

Shame there is still no in-room measurements in the loudspeaker reviews on a measurement based website/forum. Of course I know that every room is different, but still...
A loudspeaker that have a flat and extended anechoic bass response like the KH420, often have huge bass bump if placed in a normal room because of room gain, so no surprising the comments are about how good the bass is subjectively. Of course the 10" woofer helps too, it's not like a 6,5".

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually the KH120 I had were boring
That's the reason I sold them.
Genelecs are more exciting to listen to that's for sure.
Obviously the KH420 is different than KH120 but never had a chance to listen to them
How many times will we have this topic again?
The Genelecs usually have wider dispersion then their competing Neumann models, so in most rooms they will sound brighter which some people like you seem to prefer. Since you preferred the timbre of the 8030 to the KH120 one you will also probably prefer the 83x1 to the KH310/420 one.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
How many times will we have this topic again?
The Genelecs usually have wider dispersion then their competing Neumann models, so in most rooms they will sound brighter which some people like you seem to prefer. Since you preferred the timbre of the 8030 to the KH120 one you will also probably prefer the 83x1 to the KH310/420 one.
It's just some say KH310 and KH420 are completely different than KH120 so I have some curiosity left in me, but yeah 99.9% you're right.

MrSoul4470

It's just some say KH310 and KH420 are completely different than KH120 so I have some curiosity left in me, but yeah 99.9% you're right.
In my experience KH 120 and KH 310 sound absolutely the same unless it gets really loud. Cannot imagine KH 420 sounds much different.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, when placed and adjusted correctly all models sound very similar (same as also the near- & mid-field Genelecs), had the luck to compare them all directly at the Neumann HQs. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...iew-studio-monitor.33529/page-16#post-1172869

Just curious, did they mention why the L/R 310s are reversed in that setup? Pretty sure the manual says tweeter should be in the outside. Doubt it matters much, I believe that suggestion merely widens the sweet spot, merely surprised to see it this way in their own demo center.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just curious, did they mention why the L/R 310s are reversed in that setup? Pretty sure the manual says tweeter should be in the outside. Doubt it matters much, I believe that suggestion merely widens the sweet spot, merely surprised to see it this way in their own demo center.
I think the reason is to not widen the soundstage too much when switching from the 120s to the 310s.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
By the way I don't remember who
But they said that because of the different waveguide 310 and 420 sound different from 120
So it kind of Stuck with me
But yes it makes sense they all have the same "house sound"

Blockader

I used all the Neumann speakers in my room except KH 80 and KH 150.

KH 310 is a slightly bright version of KH 420 especially while listening to them from long distances. KH 310's mids are a bit shouty, and the data backs that up too. They are great speakers, probably one of the best nearfield speakers ever designed.(driver placement and waveguides designed around making drivers sum up pretty well from nearfield distances but not so well from long distances: they have average sound power performance)

KH420s sound significantly darker than 8361s(both in mids and treble) and 8361s sound bass light compared to KH 420s. I think this is because 8361s tonal balance is shifted to higher frequencies relative to KH 420. 8361s bass is slightly more directional, that should influence the tonality of reflections too. KH420s bass sounds more impactful(same room conditions, only EQd the peaks which have a magnitude above +8db below 300hz) I think this is also because KH420s darker sound makes the bass become more prominent in the stage. KH420s have significantly larger ASW(soundstage if you want to call it that way) and have better listener envelopment. 8361 make everything appear in a narrower area but both in imaging and layering feels a bit more precise up to 2000hz or so. 8361s tend to sound like giant headphones sometimes. Above 2000hz there is no imaging difference between them to me. As I said before, KH420s sound a bit wider, larger while 8361s tend to give the illusion of precision better. I think 8361s are slightly better in my opinion but they do sound quite bright especially if your room doesn't have much absorption.

what's most charming about 8361 for me is that they can be converted into speakers with a cardioid bass dispersion with W371. KH 420 doesn't have such option. Neumann should, in my opinion, start designing coaxial speakers and cardioid subwoofers. They seem like they stuck in their old ways still and they progress only very slowly.

Last edited:

Pio

Forum Donor
Thanks, is the front wall that the 420’s are close to, the short dimension 11.5’? How close to side walls? Don’t imagine you run out of gas filling the room with sound :p

I’ve seen the Neumann recommendations that’s why I was curious how they were working for you close to the wall. I was misreading them prior. Seems they are ok with them under 2.5’ from the wall. 2.5’- 6’ is to be avoided

Pio on AK too?

Cheers to you sir!
Hi,

I don't have the speakers centered in the room because I have my mic / storage, etc to one side - so the left is approx 4 ft and the right is just under 3 feet from the side wall.

What is "AK"??

happy Monday :)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I used all the Neumann speakers in my room except KH 80 and KH 150.

KH 310 is slightly bright version of KH 420 especially while listening to them from long distances. KH 310's mids are a bit shouty, and the data backs that up too. They are great speakers, probably one of the best nearfield speakers ever designed.(driver placement and waveguides designed around making drivers sum up pretty well from nearfield distances but not so well from long distances: they have average sound power performance)

KH420s sound significantly darker than 8361s(both in mids and treble) and 8361s sound bass light compared to KH 420s. I think this is because 8361s tonal balance is shifted to higher frequencies relative to KH 420. 8361s bass is slightly more directional, that should influence the tonality of reflections too. KH420s bass sounds more impactful(same room conditions, only EQd the peaks which have a magnitude above +8db below 300hz) I think this is also because KH420s darker sound makes the bass become more prominent in the stage. KH420s have significantly larger ASW(soundstage if you want to call it that way) and have better listener envelopment. 8361 make everything appear in a narrower area but both in imaging and layering feels a bit more precise up to 2000hz or so. 8361s tend to sound like giant headphones sometimes. Above 2000hz there is no imaging difference between them in terms of imaging to me. As I said before, KH420s sound a bit wider, larger while 8361s tend to give the illusion of precision better. I think 8361s are slightly better in my opinion but they do sound quite bright especially if your room doesn't have much absorption.

what's most charming about 8361 for me is that they can be converted into speakers with a cardioid bass dispersion with W371. KH 420 doesn't have such option. Neumann should, in my opinion, start designing coaxial speakers and cardioid subwoofers. They seem like they stuck in their old ways still and they progress only very slowly.
Thanks a lot
I tend to like brighter sound (and Genelecs in general)
It's a pity 8361 are bass light compared to KH420 otherwise they would have been perfect

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess also what @LTig answered, by the way the manual writes both placements are ok:

"The KH 310 comes in two variants named “left” and “right” (see figure). It is also possible to use a “left” in the “right” position, and vice versa."

Source: https://en-de.neumann.com/file-finder?product=KH 310 A&category=monitors&area=85

Top Bottom