• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony Xperia 5 IV Audio Review

Rate this smartphone audio

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 32 22.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 68 48.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 7.9%

• Total voters

Bam!

Yes. I had the G7 (19.5:9 ratio) bought it as a DAP (was on sale) Sadly the battery bloated. I also like my V Mark 2. The mark 4 is afaik prone to overheating and only plus over mark 2 is wireless charging (unlike Armir i dont care about that)

staticV3

Master Contributor
The mark 4 is afaik prone to overheating and only plus over mark 2 is wireless charging (unlike Armir i dont care about that)
well it's got a 25% larger battery, so there's that

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not sure how to avoid the aspect ratio thing as Samsung, Apple, Google, Asus etc have all gone to aspect ratios of 19.5:9 or greater on their top phones, as had LG. Kinda Is what it is. I'd prefer a less tall phone than the V60 (20.5) but I can't say it bothers me, especially with everything else it brings to the table.

Bam!

well it's got a 25% larger battery, so there's that
It has also a better CPU and other "better" features. So what? The battery life of the mark 2 is great and cpu is fast enough. So no need to upgrade. Only if you want wireless charging everything else is - for me - not really important.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Not sure how to avoid the aspect ratio thing as Samsung, Apple, Google, Asus etc have all gone to aspect ratios of 19.5:9 or greater on their top phones, as had LG. Kinda Is what it is. I'd prefer a less tall phone than the V60 (20.5) but I can't say it bothers me .
Sony's aspect ratio is still a bit extreme even in today's landscape. It's a skinny boy:
Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 16.35.19.png

Bam!

Sony's aspect ratio is still a bit extreme even in today's landscape. It's a skinny boy:
View attachment 259118
Amir"I went through extensive search for a month to find a replacement for my aging Samsung S8+"

So Sony's aspect ratio could hardly be a surprise, after extensive research. But I guess the real life experience was a bit of a surprise...

usersky

Forum Donor
Steve was not a hardware or entertainment guy and got all of this catastrophically wrong. The beginning of end was when he decided the Xbox group should be in charge of our strategy there leading to disasters like Zune player and such.
I must be one of the 5 guys in Europe that liked Zune at the time and it was better IMO compared to the similar iPod but way too late to count and according to some Apple fans it was too brown. I still have one with 120GB hdd in perfect working state, it would be fun to see one measured :)

usersky

Forum Donor
i had an V30 too... amazing phone, excellent quad dac

bad unfixable boot loop problem
Count me as a big fan, my LG V30 is working and is in pristine condition. I feel an itch every once in 2-3 months to go back from my S21 to V30 but camera on v30 is a bit of a letdown for 2023. I consider v30 the best mobile phone I ever had (and i switch them once a year so I've seen enough of them). Wireless chargin, perfect form factor, good screen, enough power even for today, good battery, best wired audio. I would shell out $1k for an up to date (flagship grade configuration) V30 in a blink of an eye. Such a pitty LG left the stage and Sony looks on it's way out too.

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Count me as a big fan, my LG V30 is working and is in pristine condition. I feel an itch every once in 2-3 months to go back from my S21 to V30 but camera on v30 is a bit of a letdown for 2023. I consider v30 the best mobile phone I ever had (and i switch them once a ear so I've seen enough of them). Wireless chargin, perfect form factor, good screen, enough power even for today, good battery, best wired audio. I would shell out $1k for an up to date (flagship grade configuration) V30 in a blink of an eye. Such a pitty LG left the stage and Sony looks on it's way out too.
Lay out $175 for a like new V60, I have both V30 and V60 and the V60 is a much better device.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess Sony marketed their tall aspect ratio to be great also for splitscreen multitasking.. I don't know who is more of a masochist, movie fanatic watching wide feature films borderless on a smartphone or a keen "dual window" phone multitasker :)

sealman

Forum Donor
My home’s original owner sadly didn’t have Ethernet run in the walls when it was built in 2001 (I do have phone jacks all over ). I tried to make it work with 2 Ubiquiti AP’s on the top floor, but I still has some dead spaces and some Smart lights outside had spotty coverage. Recently switched it out for a ~$100 3-pack of TP-Link Deco mesh units and it works amazingly (2 on top floor and 1 on bottom).
I hear you! My home was built in 2009 and there aren't any ethernet or phone lines run anywhere. I too bought the TP Link Deco 3 pack and it works great for me.

julian_hughes

I guess Sony marketed their tall aspect ratio to be great also for splitscreen multitasking.. I don't know who is more of a masochist, movie fanatic watching wide feature films borderless on a smartphone or a keen "dual window" phone multitasker :)
In practice the main advantage of the narrower aspect ratio is that the phone is less wide and so easier to grip. The fingerprint sensor is built into the power button on the side, and the volume buttons are there too, exactly where your thumb falls, so it is actually a very nice bit of design. Having recently gone from Sony to Samsung phones that is something I miss. Under screen optical fingerprint readers (both on Apple and Samsung in my experience) are not as convenient, especially when other physical controls are elsewhere.

woofersus

Audio Company
I'm going through the same transition now. I have a Galaxy S9 and don't want an enormous phone but do want flagship performance, so it's either the Sony, new Samsung, or switch to iOS. (which I'm not really considering) I'm probably going to end up with an S23 in a few weeks but I'm bummed about the big drop in screen resolution and the loss of the card slot and headphone jack. Still a little tempted to consider the Sony.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm going through the same transition now. I have a Galaxy S9 and don't want an enormous phone but do want flagship performance, so it's either the Sony, new Samsung, or switch to iOS. (which I'm not really considering) I'm probably going to end up with an S23 in a few weeks but I'm bummed about the big drop in screen resolution and the loss of the card slot and headphone jack. Still a little tempted to consider the Sony.
Drop in screen resolution? From the S9 and S23? I know the screen resolution took a small hit from my S20+ and the S21+.

Oso Polar

Drop in screen resolution? From the S9 and S23? I know the screen resolution took a small hit from my S20+ and the S21+.
Yes. S9: 1440 x 2960 pixels, ~570 ppi. S22: 1080 x 2340 pixels, ~425 ppi. Not sure about S23 as it is not yet officially released but probably will be the same as S22.

Dro

You can still get the Asus Zenfone 8 or 9, which have the 3.5 mm out. Biggest downside is that the Zenfone 8 won't go beyond Android 13 and the 9 likely won't go beyond Android 14. But at least they are rather cheap for flagships.

Fone

Crazy as over the past decade Sony invested heavily in premium portable audio solutions and released a lot of top-tier products (many did not make it to western markets, alas).

Top Bottom