• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$115 for a pair of new floorstanders? The AUNA Line 4707

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Hi All.

'One can never have enough speakers' a wise man (and it was definitely a man) once told me in the 1980s. I can live with aphorims like this and have attempted to follow this rule/guideline ever since. The fact that my SO and myself for professional reasons currently spend half the week in our abode abroad and the other half here in Blighty has made new speaker acquisitions necessary, as two pairs have now been moved from one location to the other, leaving me with a floorstander-sized hole in my reading room.

Now I am not made of money, and two households are a costly affair, so I looked at the (very) lower end of affordable floorstanders. As they garnered a content panther, I started with the Polk Audio T50s and was quite pleased with my acquistion, as they are indeed lovely speakers (though I found that they need quite a bit of oomph, so not perfect for my vintage Rotels). I then stumbled over a set of floorstander described by the blurb as 'a stylish 4-way HiFi floor-standing speaker pair for the best sound at home', 'low-vibration bass reflex cabinet made of wood-look MDF', '960 watts max. total sound power' and, most importantly a "side-firing 16.5 cm subwoofer, two 9.5 cm midrange speakers and a 9.5 cm tweeter per speaker". All of that for £89 ($115 in US money). Auna, their distributor, is a Berlin based outfit and the reviews on Amazon were definitely mixed, with people complaining about the build quality (tweeters loose, screws falling out, MDF busted, etc), so I knew what to expect. They arrived via UPS within 3 days, and indeed were broken.

IMG_0019.jpeg
IMG_0020.jpeg

On both speakers the tweeters and their bracket had fallen out, as had one of the middle speakers. The wood screws that attach the tweeter are far to small for their holes, so they are not particularly well attached. The middle speaker is not screwed at all, you just push it back into it's hole. Repair took only 15 minutes (might have to revisit them to find a better solution), and then they were hooked up to the mighty Fosi Audio TPA3255-A.

And you know what? Music was produced. It wasn't particularly subtle, but there was definitely imaging going on and a soundstage was present. Boy were they boomy: mid bass reverberated around the room, and I had to reduce the volume to appease my poor neighbours. Steely Dan and Donald Fagen's vocals sounded a bit like the Don was hiding behind an unlifted veil while recording, but it was definitely not unpleasant. Chamber music worked well, Level 42's 'Love Games' didn't break the MDF or made the woofer pop out of their hole. The only time when I started getting suspicious of some distortion and rattling was the end of Mahler's second symphony (David Zinman, Tonhalle Orchestra), but hey, even my KEF 105s struggle with that recording. As a teenager I would have probably loved them (I imagine BIC's 'eviction' model sounding similar). Rameau's 'Dardanus Suite' was perfectly listenable, as were various other baroque and early classic oevres.

This being ASR, I feel rather guilty for not being able to supply you with measurements (though if you point me to a guide how to do this with a Rode NT USB microphone in an echoey room I'll give it a go), but from a purely subjectivist point of view, you can't really go wrong with them. If you have to supply a teenager/student with a pair of floorstanders or have a garage/kitchen that needs music and are not afraid of a 15 mins of DIY, you have a choice for a pretty competitive price. Not sure whether you would find bookshelve speakers with stands in that price bracket.

IMG_7526.jpeg

Picture to compare size to Polk T50. Definitely high WAF. They now do duty as surround speakers where their narrowness makes them easy to hide from the SO. Happy to answer any queries.

Last edited:

Doenerkunde

There is a (very good) german YouTube Channel called „Franks Werkstatt der Lautsprechertechnik“, that made two videos about the Auna L766. While not being the exact same model, I guess there are some interesting observations made, that might translate to the model you got.

Part 1:
Part 2:

The findings:
The Aunas don´t contain a serious crossover, but just one capacitor to protect the tweeter. The two midwoofers run up to around 5khz where they resonate heavily. There is no damping inside the box and a big 80-120hz hump. One tweeter is 2-3dB louder than the other tweeter.

Frank tried to improve the design by adding damping, closing the bass reflex port and developing new crossover filters. This is the result, blue being the speaker as it is,
turquoise being the modified version:
frank.png

In the end he comes to the conclusion, that the sound can be improved, but he wouldn´t want to listen to it longterm and wouldn´t recommend buying it, hoping to make a bargain.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
From my point of view auna always enjoyed to impress with good optics not so much with sound. But who knows? Maybe they have now a person that cares about sound?

Last edited:
OP
fordiebianco

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
There is a (very good) german YouTube Channel called „Franks Werkstatt der Lautsprechertechnik“, that made two videos about the Auna L766. While not being the exact same model, I guess there are some interesting observations made, that might translate to the model you got.

Part 1:
Part 2:

The findings:
The Aunas don´t contain a serious crossover, but just one capacitor to protect the tweeter. The two midwoofers run up to around 5khz where they resonate heavily. There is no damping inside the box and a big 80-120hz hump. One tweeter is 2-3dB louder than the other tweeter.

Frank tried to improve the design by adding damping, closing the bass reflex port and developing new crossover filters. This is the result, blue being the speaker as it is,
turquoise being the modified version:
View attachment 258921

In the end he comes to the conclusion, that the sound can be improved, but he wouldn´t want to listen to it longterm and wouldn´t recommend buying it, hoping to make a bargain.

Thank you for the reply! I'll have a look at the video, sounds interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if mine don't have a crossover either. I had a look into the upper enclosure and couldn't see one. Isn't that what Tekton does (just on a much more xpensive level) ?

OP
fordiebianco

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Maybe they have no hiered a person that cares about sound?

I find that unlikely. Nevertheless, for the money I paid it's hard to quibble. How can you even produce floorstanders at this price?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I find that unlikely. Nevertheless, for the money I paid it's hard to quibble. How can you even produce speakers at this price?

I not exacly know. Something like get something cheap on the market, make it look good, sell it?
I mean in this ultra cheap segment its selling with the look. If people like the look it gets sold. The sound is not so importend as long its not completly terrible. Real engineering for sound is not in there.

Last edited:
OP
fordiebianco

fordiebianco

Forum Donor

Ha, his measurements are showing the same mid bass emphasis that seem to be happening in mine.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Often, small magnet (i.e., cheap) woofers have too much mid-bass bloom. But what do you expect for $115? It's impressive they make noise at all.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Often, small magnet (i.e., cheap) woofers have too much mid-bass bloom. But what do you expect for $115? It's impressive they make noise at all.

Iam sure some put them in the corner to get more booom and completly happy with.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If the midbass gets to be too much, one can indeed judiciously stuff a reflex box:

Go too far and you lose deeper bass, but sometimes you can strike a happy medium.

Doenerkunde

Ha, his measurements are showing the same mid bass emphasis that seem to be happening in mine.
Adding two mats of sonofil damping material yielded the following results for Frank: (purple without sonofil, blue with sonofil; the damping seems to virtually enhance the cabinet volume, thus lowering the cabinet resonance):

sonofil .jpg

Closing the bass reflex port with a sponge lead to the following results (yellow with open port, green with closed port):
bass reflex.jpg

It´s hard to tell how these specific mods translate to your model, since the internal volume is different, but I would start looking for a pair of socks you dislike to stuff into the ports ^^

OP
fordiebianco

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
It´s hard to tell how these specific mods translate to your model, since the internal volume is different, but I would start looking for a pair of socks you dislike to stuff into the ports ^^

Socks will be inserted! On the other hand, last night's first outing of them as surrounds delivered 'Moonfall' in all it's intended cacophony. Perfectly acceptable in a 5.2 environment for your run of the mill American blockbuster.

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Socks will be inserted!
I'm glad you've accepted this task!

As the author of that BIC "Eviction" review, by the powers vested in me by absolutely nobody at all, I'd like to remind you: your mission isn't complete until you've managed to eject the socks by sheer musical power alone.

(Good luck achieving this without an actual, literal eviction)

OP
fordiebianco

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
I'm glad you've accepted this task!

As the author of that BIC "Eviction" review, by the powers vested in me by absolutely nobody at all, I'd like to remind you: your mission isn't complete until you've managed to eject the socks by sheer musical power alone.

(Good luck achieving this without an actual, literal eviction)

I swear, one day I WILL listen to them. I might just plan my next U.S. trip around people who own them.

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I swear, one day I WILL listen to them. I might just plan my next U.S. trip around people who own them.
If you're in the Philadelphia area, please do! We'll have a few beers first which always makes things sound better.

They're not exactly worth a trip, or even exactly good, but they are far less offensive than they look and are wholly unique at the price level. Also the beer will act as sort of a natural EQ.

Still the only setup under a bajillion dollars that can start to approach the dynamic range of live music... IMO big drivers, big cabinets, and hundreds of watts are table stakes to even be in that discussion.

Last edited:
OP
fordiebianco

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
If you're in the Philadelphia area, please do! We'll have a few beers first which always makes things sound better.

Dude, you're on.

Top Bottom