• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm currently running a D50S from tidal and PC through an A50S then out to headphones. What I'd like to do is connect a cd player to the D50S then broadcast to bluetooth speakers. Is this possible? I also connected my iphone via bluetooth and listened with headphones, but I'm unable to broadcast phone-->D50S-->bluetooth speakers. Clearly I don't have a complete understanding of how this works. Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Find a Bluetooth transmitter and connect RCA output of A50S to the RCA input of the Bluetooth transmitter.

linuxfan

What I'd like to do is connect a cd player to the D50S then broadcast to bluetooth speakers.
If we overlook the fact that this represents an over-complicated digital-to-analogue-to-digital configuration, the D50s is the wrong device - it's a bluetooth receiver. Bluetooth speakers also include a bluetooth receiver - so what you need is a bluetooth transmitter (as Laserjock mentioned) - and since your source device (CD player) is digital, go one step better and get a bluetooth transmitter with coaxial s/pdif input -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265056953903

I also connected my iphone via bluetooth and listened with headphones, but I'm unable to broadcast phone-->D50S-->bluetooth speakers.
Pair the phone directly to the bluetooth speakers.

Direwall

If we overlook the fact that this represents an over-complicated digital-to-analogue-to-digital configuration, the D50s is the wrong device - it's a bluetooth receiver. Bluetooth speakers also include a bluetooth receiver - so what you need is a bluetooth transmitter (as Laserjock mentioned) - and since your source device (CD player) is digital, go one step better and get a bluetooth transmitter with coaxial s/pdif input -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265056953903

Pair the phone directly to the bluetooth speakers.
Thanks for the reply. Pairing the phone to bluetooth speakers is the easy part. Now that I fully understand the capabilities of the D50S thanks to you both, I'm excited for the next step; getting a Shanling EC3 and playing CD's that have collected dust for decades.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply. Pairing the phone to bluetooth speakers is the easy part. Now that I fully understand the capabilities of the D50S thanks to you both, I'm excited for the next step; getting a Shanling EC3 and playing CD's that have collected dust for decades.
The Shanling has Bluetooth transmitter built in and could just use it independently to your Bluetooth speakers.

Are your speakers in a different area?

linuxfan

Sensible question. Direwall, you have a good quality CD player (and a good quality DAC) so the connection to speakers probably deserves to be wired.
What is the brand/model of your speakers?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I'm currently running a D50S from tidal and PC through an A50S then out to headphones. What I'd like to do is connect a cd player to the D50S then broadcast to bluetooth speakers. Is this possible? I also connected my iphone via bluetooth and listened with headphones, but I'm unable to broadcast phone-->D50S-->bluetooth speakers. Clearly I don't have a complete understanding of how this works. Advice would be greatly appreciated.
There is no point in transmitting to Bluetooth and putting it through a DAC first. Because BT is going to re-encode the audio again which is more lossy and then decode it in the speaker and use the speakers actual internal DAC for BT. Defeating the entire purpose of the whole setup. Considering that not even LDAC can manage a SINAD that is constantly over 90; BT audio is completely inferior and has no reason to be used with HiFi.

Direwall

The Shanling has Bluetooth transmitter built in and could just use it independently to your Bluetooth speakers.

The party has just begun. I've been using head-fi equipment exclusively for a while and now want to slowly expand. I tested the D50S on a cheap, bluetooth desktop speaker just to find out if it would broadcast.

At this point, I'm exploring the possibilities of integration as I build out. Everything is in the office at the moment and space is at a premium. The Shanling EC3 is an appealing option due to its size and attractiveness. I'm not even sure I want speakers in this space.

Ultimately, I plan on getting a hi-fi/mid-fi system in the living room, possibly wireless with the Kef LS50 and perhaps a quality all in one CD player/streamer. If I'm able to broadcast to the living room from the office, that would be a bonus.

Last edited:

Direwall

Sensible question. Direwall, you have a good quality CD player (and a good quality DAC) so the connection to speakers probably deserves to be wired.
What is the brand/model of your speakers?
See above. I do have a wired pair of Audioengine speakers laying around that I might hook up in the office, but space is tight.

linuxfan

I plan on getting a hi-fi/mid-fi system in the living room, possibly wireless with the Kef LS50
In that case you won't need to buy a streamer, because the LS50 Wireless has a streamer built-in, and a very fully-featured unit at that. You would be able to avoid bluetooth, since the LS50 Wireless has multiple forms of wifi connectivity. If your streaming provider is Spotify, for example, the LS50 offers Spotify's native streaming method; Spotify-Connect. Or you can also use AirPlay (good for iPhone users) or Chromecast (good for Android users).

JediMa

Distortion wise and power wise, I should use it computer powered or with with AC?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Distortion wise and power wise, I should use it computer powered or with with AC?
Just in general it makes sense to use an external AC outlet with an adapter because computers often have shared power per USB port and drawing too much power could cause a fuse to blow and the USB port to be dead forever.

JediMa

Not necessarily needed but got this dedicated one

JAMECO RELIAPRO DDU050100M2270 AC/DC Power Supply Wall Adapter/Transformer Single-Out 5V 1A 5W, DDU050100M2270 https://a.co/d/3mchcND
This is quite cool but I can't find it on Amazon.it

JediMa

Perfect thanks

yussef961

hey just bought one and very happy with it not so much difference with my Realtek on board but I can hear the harpsichord in Le nozze de figaro or very distinct sounds in games so nice

beaker152

i've thorougly enjoyed my d50s for almost 4 years now, but i sometimes find that the RC-15A remote volume control will zoom to min/max gain values unless i am extra careful to make only very brief taps on +/- ...

has anyone else experienced this behavior? did you find a fix? it happened even when the unit was new, so i don't think it's due to the remote being worn out...

Toku

Major Contributor
i've thorougly enjoyed my d50s for almost 4 years now, but i sometimes find that the RC-15A remote volume control will zoom to min/max gain values unless i am extra careful to make only very brief taps on +/- ...

has anyone else experienced this behavior? did you find a fix? it happened even when the unit was new, so i don't think it's due to the remote being worn out...
I have purchased 3 D50/D50s and have not experienced any such symptoms with the remote control or the joystick on the main unit.

Toku

Major Contributor
Topping has announced the release of new models D50 lll and A50 lll, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they evolve.
D50 III and A50 III are priced at US$229 and US$199.

Last edited:
Top Bottom