• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does Roon Sound Better?

JanRSmit

So doing a null test of the waveforms will relay the differences, correct?
That could, provided you use an a-symetrical complex signal, not just a sinus of similar symmetric signal. Also small time differences (like in the microseconds) should be looked for, not just amplitude. Toelsgraven has a good suggestion : http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/vocals.htm

So doing a null test of the waveforms will relay the differences, correct?

Deacon Blues

I had another question: Is there signal loss in a wifi signal from a NUC vs. Ethernet? I hear a ton about possible loss in fidelity. I think I recall Amir saying both are acutally bit perfect through Roon. True or False?

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had another question: Is there signal loss in a wifi signal from a NUC vs. Ethernet? I hear a ton about possible loss in fidelity. I think I recall Amir saying both are acutally bit perfect through Roon. True or False?

Everything is bit perfect, with or without roon. That is also the reason your bank account's balance remains constant when you check your bank on a wireless or on a wired network (among other things).

What can happen is that a wireless connection is unstable, that packets get lost because retries don't arrive or get lost. Depending on how the playback is implemented this may result in delays or drops, music can stop or crack or pop. Etc... See it as some stuff not loading or taking a long time on a big web page loaded through a slow/unreliable wireless connection. But the bits that do come through, in bytes and packets of bytes are correct.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
for good WiFi router choice check "small network builders" site. They have a testing methodology and a rating chart of many routers. They are also quite up to date.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
is the fiber option complete nonsense?

I'm sure I would be taken more seriously if I had a nice foreign-sounding accent like he does.

Maybe I do, to the posters in other countries (I'm based in Nu-Perfect America).

Or maybe a different avatar would be all I need:

1549040886423.png

Deacon Blues

Yeah - I would like to know his motivation for spewing nonsense. He's probably on the MQA payroll or getting longterm gear loans. Pure speculation on my part though.

arancano

I realize forums are for discussion but it's hard to fathom the passions that simply stating what one person hears can generate in those that disagree. Our ability to hear frequencies varies as do the capabilities of different system configurations. I have a pretty resolving system, have very good hearing and can tell Roon makes most music sound better in my world. Why? Who knows? Who cares? I love the realism I hear. It's all about synergy. You don't have my audio gear or my ears. Still, arguing and going after each other, sometimes viciously, can be fun for some people. This is as good an outlet as any for those so inclined to get their aggressions out.

KarVi71

I ran Roon for the 1 month trial period, connected to my NAD C658.

Comparing it to the built in BluOS player in the NAD.

With the regard to music playback, I was never able to say that Roon sounded better. I didn't expect it to, so no surprise there.

But otherwise compared to BluOS, I found it to be much better at identifying music and displaying relevant info. Although far from perfect.
But it does give something to the experience that you are able to dive into information about the music.

And replaygain worked better to my ear, as it leveled out local music and Tidal streams better, where with BluOS I get bigger differences in sound level when mixing local playback with streaming.

But in the end, I didn't find it to be worth the monthly payment. The advantages over BluOS werent big enough.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I have a pretty resolving system, have very good hearing and can tell Roon makes most music sound better in my world. Why? Who knows? Who cares?

Well, here we tend to care about the why's.
We aren't here to compare creative writing efforts related to equipment reviews.
What many claim to hear is simply not plausible. This is a science forum...

That said, people do often get bent out of shape when questioned, or asked to give add an explanation. You say Roon sounds better. Most here would say...that's doubtful if you actually did a controlled listening test, because here, science matters...

arancano

BDWoody, thanks for your response. I agree that results from a controlled listening test are useful and that science is important. To clarify my point, the impressions expressed by forum members are not science unless they are part of a controlled listening test. In a controlled test different listeners would have to have identical equipment, heard in identical rooms and have identical hearing ability, with the only thing changing being the introduction of Roon. I doubt if that is the case. Individual impressions are useful to hear but scientifically derived they are not.

You say that most here would say my impression that Roon sounds better in my system, in my room and using my ears would be doubtful if a controlled listening test was done. Anticipating the results of a test that has not been done is not science.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure I would be taken more seriously if I had a nice foreign-sounding accent like he does.

Maybe I do, to the posters in other countries (I'm based in Nu-Perfect America).

Or maybe a different avatar would be all I need:

View attachment 21182
Please leave your present avatar alone.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You say that most here would say my impression that Roon sounds better in my system, in my room and using my ears would be doubtful if a controlled listening test was done. Anticipating the results of a test that has not been done is not science.

The second post in this thread literally states that Amir tested the Roon signal path with his AP analyzer and that it made no difference. That's a scientific test.

You would need quite strong evidence to dispute that test and claim there is something audible that is outside the AP's capability.

leftside

Everything is bit perfect, with or without roon. That is also the reason your bank account's balance remains constant when you check your bank on a wireless or on a wired network (among other things).

What can happen is that a wireless connection is unstable, that packets get lost because retries don't arrive or get lost. Depending on how the playback is implemented this may result in delays or drops, music can stop or crack or pop. Etc... See it as some stuff not loading or taking a long time on a big web page loaded through a slow/unreliable wireless connection. But the bits that do come through, in bytes and packets of bytes are correct.
Good explanation.

leftside

- just saw this video - is the fiber option complete nonsense?
I was watching some of his YouTube videos yesterday and asked about measurements when he was going on about SoTm clocks. His reply was along the lines of "does a chemical analysis of wine tell you about the taste of wine".

leftside

I've had Roon for a few years now. I purchase it for the features, and recently the Roon Radio + Tidal Hifi integration will keep me renewing my subscription. But, does it sound better than other players I have? I really don't think so.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was watching some of his YouTube videos yesterday and asked about measurements when he was going on about SoTm clocks. His reply was along the lines of "does a chemical analysis of wine tell you about the taste of wine".

He thinks that a network switch has a ‘sound’, there is nothing more to say!

Top Bottom