• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 83 18.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 206 47.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 26.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 31 7.1%

• Total voters

bob5200

Knowing how Dirac licensing works I highly doubt that receivers in the price range of the 3800 (and its Marantz sibling) will get anything more than basic Dirac Live (as it happens with Onkyos). I'd be very suprised if they'd get Bass Control for single subwoofer, I would bet money that they'll never get DLBC for multiple subs that is available only for top of the line products from most expensive brands (and you must also pay more than 500$/€ for it).
This chart shows that the 3800 will get Dirac. The second chart shows it will share the same DSP as the higher end models. Not sure why Denon would put in a more expensive DSP unless they were going to put it into use. From the Dirac point of view, why would they care if they can move the product down market and price the same?

Denon-2022_10a-scaled.jpg

1664217176078.jpeg

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder what "Bass Sync" is?

Also, I forgot about component and composite to HDMI conversion, essential if you hook up an older game console.
It's a separate delay setting for the LFE only, you can find it in the manual. It's not much, 0-16ms.

They claim sometimes the LFE is mixed wrong and delayed relative to the rest of the channels, so you can adjust it separately this way. I am skeptical this has any real use.

[CUT] As a licenced product, where the licence is a fixed fee, that’s how they make money… they make no extra money based off the cost of the device implementing their software. The reason (IMO) DLBC is currently only available/confirmed on super high $$$ AVR’s is that until recently, it (Dirac) was a super niche offering. And the ultra expensive, niche brands often cater to people seeking that bleeding edge tech, and implement it first.

What Denon is doing here is opening up a huge new customer base/segment for Dirac to make potentially a ton of money off of. No way they are not looking to capitalize on that.

The only way I could see what you’re saying becoming a factor is if Arcam and the other premiere brands currently offering the “upgraded” Dirac features have an exclusivity deal with Dirac on them - all signs point to that not likely being the case, and several signs directly indicate otherwise.

Just my 0.02 (which is about all the money I’d bet on it either way, as I am a humble public servant, and I need that 2 cents to pay for these upgrades).
I guess it's a marketing choice, probably Dirac wants to keep a hierarchy of its offering (basic Dirac Live, DLBC single, DLBC multi) and just license its most sophisticated solutions just for high-end products. They'll always justify it saying that the cheaper models don't have enough processing power (and that might also be true).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, you are wrong: for Arcam multi-sub version is available only from the AVR31 up (you can check yourself: https://www.dirac.com/online-store/).
.. as in: all AVR's that support it. They all cost $499. So no reason to think the Denon version will be more expensive. If an AVR only has a single sub-output, it obviously cannot support multi-sub DBLC. As far as I can see, I can order a multi sub for AVR20, and AVR21. AVR10 and AVR11 only have a single sub out, so no multi-sub. I don't see a problem here..

.. as in: all AVR's that support it. They all cost $499. So no reason to think the Denon version will be more expensive. If an AVR only has a single sub-output, it obviously cannot support multi-sub DBLC. As far as I can see, I can order a multi sub for AVR20, and AVR21. AVR10 and AVR11 only have a single sub out, so no multi-sub. I don't see a problem here..
I'm not afraid it'll be more expensive, I'm afraid it'll not be available at all. Maybe the multiple subwoofer outputs will be used just for Audissey that will remain alongside Dirac Live (at least in this year's machines). Anyways, I hope you are right and I'm wrong, I'm waiting till March to replace my old Onkyo PR-RZ5100 and I'd be a lot happy to save 2000$/€ buying the 3800 instead of the Arcam AVR11 and have even more features with DLBC multi-sub.

They're not getting DLBC until 2024 at the earliest. By that time, those high-end processors will have moved on to Active Room Treatment. Once ART is available, DLBC stops being special. While the timeline is not concrete yet, it's not like it's a rumor or something. They told Audioholics directly. You can say maybe they're mistaken or they'll change their minds or whatever, but any manufacturer can do that.
According to Matthew Pose (Audioholics) in this video, ART, using all the surround speakers for room correction, will need these to be full range and the amplification a lot more powerful than the usual 100W-200W, 1 channel driven of consumer level AVRs. So something you won't achieve with a simple firmware upgrade and will make sense only for the lucky ones who have a professionally built home cinema, with multiple amplification and a 5 figures processor like a StormAudio (who are the first ones to have announced ART support in an upcoming update).

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
According to Matthew Pose (Audioholics) in this video, ART, using all the surround speakers for room correction, will need these to be full range and the amplification a lot more powerful than the usual 100W-200W, 1 channel driven of consumer level AVRs. So something you won't achieve with a simple firmware upgrade and will make sense only for the lucky ones who have a professionally built home cinema, with multiple amplification and a 5 figures processor like a StormAudio (who are the first ones to have announced ART support in an upcoming update).
On this very forum we have beta testers with 2x5" Polks for surrounds reporting great results. That's weaker than many larger bookshelves. So I suspect the speculation-without-testing by a random third party to be ... slightly exaggerated. Pro-tip, Matthew Poes sells those high-end products and theatres :p

ART makes the most sense in untreated rooms. I can guarantee that Dirac intends it to be useful in normal home theatres.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Intuition tells me that such small speakers would see a huge increase in IMD if used for ART. Whether that matters would depend on the content, of course.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Intuition tells me that such small speakers would see a huge increase in IMD if used for ART. Whether that matters would depend on the content, of course.

"It would do some improvement [in a stereo setup with two full-range speakers] but um obviously the more speakers you add especially subwoofers you will get more and more...better performance."

Subwoofers participate in ART and in fact according to Dirac are more important than additional speakers. So I think the focus on "full-range speakers" is just a mistake caused by assumptions of people who haven't actually used the thing.

Keep in mind it's going to be limited to 500hz and even if a sub crossover is 80hz there is tons of excess capacity above that frequency in many subwoofers. There's no reason subs can't play the cancellation above their crossovers, if every speaker and sub is playing a similar/identical delayed-cancellation signal it's not going to be "localizable" anyway.

Might be a reason for me to go from 2->4 subs though.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"It would do some improvement [in a stereo setup with two full-range speakers] but um obviously the more speakers you add especially subwoofers you will get more and more...better performance."

Subwoofers participate in ART and in fact according to Dirac are more important than additional speakers. So I think the focus on "full-range speakers" is just a mistake caused by assumptions of people who haven't actually used the thing.

Keep in mind it's going to be limited to 500hz and even if a sub crossover is 80hz there is tons of excess capacity above that frequency in many subwoofers. There's no reason subs can't play the cancellation above their crossovers, if every speaker and sub is playing a similar/identical delayed-cancellation signal it's not going to be "localizable" anyway.

Might be a reason for me to go from 2->4 subs though.
I think the comment stems from the fact that the range that subwoofers play is the range that needs the most fixing, and that subwoofers are capable of much higher outputs and can be placed in asymmetrical positions while speakers have a fixed symmetric position in a layout.

There is no reason to assume a full range speaker with the sub-bass capabilities of a subwoofer would not behave exactly the same.

On this very forum we have beta testers with 2x5" Polks for surrounds reporting great results. That's weaker than many larger bookshelves. So I suspect the speculation-without-testing by a random third party to be ... slightly exaggerated. Pro-tip, Matthew Poes sells those high-end products and theatres :p

ART makes the most sense in untreated rooms. I can guarantee that Dirac intends it to be useful in normal home theatres.
I wish I could be as optimistic as you, but I’m afraid ART will be (correctly) implemented only with very expensive setups. I’m waiting March to replace my Onkyo PR-RZ5100 to see what happens with all the Dirac-Sound United situation. I’m still skeptical multi-sub DLBC will be available on sub-2000$/€ receivers, let alone ART that needs a lot more processing power (and acoustic power).

Top Bottom