• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 43 8.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 463 91.0%

• Total voters

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i guess that the already exceptional performance of the kh150 in terms of low distortion could even improve with a low cut filter adequately set
small woofers are stressed by lowest frequencies
i would like to see the distortion plot at 106dB/1 meter with low cut equal to the xover point of the KH420 (i. e. 570Hz)

Harmonic distortion plots are sweeps, only 1 frequency is playing at a time so crossovers or filters would not change anything. You're thinking of IMD which is not tested on ASR.

gino1961

Harmonic distortion plots are sweeps, only 1 frequency is playing at a time so crossovers or filters would not change anything. You're thinking of IMD which is not tested on ASR.
Thanks a lot for the very helpful explanation
now I wonder if IMD is less of an issue
i admit i am not comfortable with IMD
the idea of getting at the output signals not present at the input makes me nervous
like the speaker cheats on me
i cannot trust it

Joaquinín

Thanks a lot for the very helpful explanation
now I wonder if IMD is less of an issue
i admit i am not comfortable with IMD
the idea of getting at the output signals not present at the input makes me nervous
like the speaker cheats on me
i cannot trust it
I suspect that IMD is the reason why the Kh310 is still higher in Neumann´s hierarchy than Kh150. Neumann proposes the Kh150 for bass extension and headroom with low distortion (kind of oriented to urban/modern music monitoring in smallish/home studios). Their words seem to imply that for maximum fidelity (such as needed for classical music monitoring) they have better options. Once we have arrived to a certain plateau of excellence in speaker design, isn´t IMD the worst offender?
I recall there is a paper somewhere in Neumann´s site that illustrates the dramatic improvement in IMD when the Kh310 is helped with the Kh-750.

mj30250

As an FYI for anyone in the USA considering purchasing these through Thomann, my import fees were $42.66 shipped through UPS, so still a massive savings versus paying list from a US dealer.

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i guess that the already exceptional performance of the kh150 in terms of low distortion could even improve with a low cut filter adequately set
small woofers are stressed by lowest frequencies
i would like to see the distortion plot at 106dB/1 meter with low cut equal to the xover point of the KH420 (i. e. 570Hz)
the difference Could be not that much
the same using even the smaller kh80
but i notice also that Genelec on the bigger monitors use 2 midrange cones
interesting point thank you very much
Neumann has already designed the KH150 with low woofer distortion as a key issue. This is done by the physical desgn of the woofer and the DSP filters.

teashea

There are few/no people who could improve the KH150 by messing around with altering it. Joe Blow in his garage is not quite up to the standards of the Neumann audio engineers working for three years.

changer

I suspect that IMD is the reason why the Kh310 is still higher in Neumann´s hierarchy than Kh150. Neumann proposes the Kh150 for bass extension and headroom with low distortion (kind of oriented to urban/modern music monitoring in smallish/home studios). Their words seem to imply that for maximum fidelity (such as needed for classical music monitoring) they have better options. Once we have arrived to a certain plateau of excellence in speaker design, isn´t IMD the worst offender?
I recall there is a paper somewhere in Neumann´s site that illustrates the dramatic improvement in IMD when the Kh310 is helped with the Kh-750.
At which levels?

Rahan

Little digress on the Nemann range : My best friend who bought my JBL 705p just added a KH705 DSP. We spent a couple of hours yesterday setting it up. So I tried the Nemann App. Once a damn Ipad found (Gosh who has that in 2023?) We connected the sub to the router by ethernet cable. I measured the impulse with REW. I have to admit that the App is really, really friendly to use. You can apply delays and all kinds of filters. I did not find a way to change the bass management (the crossover is by default 80Hz which was perfect for the 705p). You can use the DSP for speakers as well but you have to take the analogue signal from the sub to the speakers. We did not, All speakers were fed by AES. (JBL lsr 705p has inboard dsp as well). The result was outstanding. seamless crossover, time aligned etc. The sub sounds super clean, deep and controlled. thumbs up for Neumann.

Last edited:

Berlin

Compared to my other speakers, they lack a bit of sub-bass...;)

IMG_7907D.jpeg

I got my pair yesterday and am blown away by my first impressions. Didn't have much time though...

IMG_7902D.jpeg

Sokel

Master Contributor
Compared to my other speakers, they lack a bit of sub-bass...;)

View attachment 258253

I got my pair yesterday and am blown away by my first impressions. Didn't have much time though...

View attachment 258257
I love the look of this Geithains!
What's their critical distance?

Edit: Found it,they state 2-4 meters so around 3m is a safe assumption I guess. as they need no summing.

Berlin

I love the look of this Geithains!
What's their critical distance?

Edit: Found it,they state 2-4 meters so around 3m is a safe assumption I guess. as they need no summing.
My listening distance to the Geithains is 2,85 m. The distance to the Neumanns yesterday was 1,8 m...

I was able to sell my ATC SCM11 last weekend. Their current retail price in Germany is 2.100 EUR. If you add an amplifier, the price is about the same as for a pair of Neumann. However, the KH150s are in a completely different league. I am done with pure hifi speakers..

P.S.
Soundstage depth in the song "Money Speaks" from the band Papajazz (album" Eisemann Songbook) was amazing with the KH150...

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Is it possible to connect the KH150 to WiiM Pro and control the volume + stream to it without needing anything else?

Berlin

How much smaller do the KH150 sound vs your Geithains?
This is difficult to answer. To me the KH150 sound much, much bigger than they are. Even from a distance of 1,8 m. I bought the Geithains because I'm an audiophile in midlife crisis who doesn't care for cars or motorcycles ;). A reasonable person would buy a pair of KH150 and be happy. To me they sound big enough and do have enough bass. But just to make this clear: I do not even consider to get rid of my Geithains...:)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
This is difficult to answer. To me the KH150 sound much, much bigger than they are. Even from a distance of 1,8 m. I bought the Geithains because I'm an audiophile in midlife crisis who doesn't care for cars or motorcycles ;). A reasonable person would buy a pair of KH150 and be happy. To me they sound big enough and do have enough bass. But just to make this clear: I do not even consider to get rid of my Geithains...:)
Hehe I'm at the same midlife crisis... The brain says KH150 but the heart wants the 8361 or KH420

NikolasA

Get KH150…. (Trying to convince myself too as I have not pulled the trigger yet) as a stepping stone to get KH420 or 8361 later…. Isn’t that how we slowly keep building our systems by selling the old adding more money and buying newer and better ?? Half the enjoyment is the search… you don’t want to end the game… there is still time left :)

Top Bottom