• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L70 Headphone Amp Review

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 9.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 272 85.8%

• Total voters

kekotron

Yes. Under the volume control knob there is a nut that fixes this block.
The volume control is a normal encoder.
The fastening of the front panel is similar to the fastening of the rear. Only from within. 2 screws.
Not a problem at all.
Take it apart and I'm sure you can tighten them up.
What's the "special key" you mentioned earlier though? and how exactly is the front panel being held in place, does "from within" mean there are screws on the inside that might possibly be loose on my unit?

Zeliya

What's the "special key" you mentioned earlier though? and how exactly is the front panel being held in place, does "from within" mean there are screws on the inside that might possibly be loose on my unit?
A very long and thin wrench, the same as to unscrew the bolts from the outside.
They are the same.
Just try and see.
Enough...

kekotron

A very long and thin wrench, the same as to unscrew the bolts from the outside.
They are the same.
Just try and see.
Enough...
Doesn't seem to budge. I removed the rear 2 outermost screws, the 2 screws visible on the underside as well and carefully removed the volume knob, loosened the nut minding to not lose the encoder inside the case and now pressing on the 6.3 jack or xlr doesn't look like it wants to come out, doesn't move at all. Are there any screws under the rubber feet or something?

Zeliya

Doesn't seem to budge. I removed the rear 2 outermost screws, the 2 screws visible on the underside as well and carefully removed the volume knob, loosened the nut minding to not lose the encoder inside the case and now pressing on the 6.3 jack or xlr doesn't look like it wants to come out, doesn't move at all. Are there any screws under the rubber feet or something?
Ther`is only 4 screws. 2 rear, 2 bottom.
Not any screws under the rubber feet or something.
The back cover sits tightly in the case.
Unfortunately, it cannot be dismantled separately.
Press harder on the 6.3mm plug.
Do not press on the HLR - you can break it.

Attachments

• topping-l70-back.jpg
    topping-l70-back.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 185
  • bottom PCB L70.jpg
    bottom PCB L70.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

Zeliya

Yes, as long as there are enough load sweep measurements (32/300Ω only isn't enough).

I created it based on measurements from Amir, WolfX-700, and the manufacturer.
Can you explain why the A90 and L70 have different load curves, although they are built on the same amplification scheme?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Can you explain why the A90 and L70 have different load curves, although they are built on the same amplification scheme?
I didn't design them, nor am I skilled enough to reverse engineer them. So no.

rarewolf

I didn't design them, nor am I skilled enough to reverse engineer them. So no.

Although, it would be interesting to hear why you created these curve’s comparison, and what you believe the differences reveal, practically or sonically speaking…

staticV3

Master Contributor
Although, it would be interesting to hear why you created these curve’s comparison
To help people make purchasing decisions. Also because I find it interesting.

and what you believe the differences reveal, practically or sonically speaking…
The graphs show how much power an Amp can output before it clips. More power = more loudness.

NexusOne

The First Topping headphone amplifier with a remote. I actually use the Smsl Sh-9 but i think the l70 is worth an upgrade. Some questions:

This amplifier has got enough power, even for a Susvara or other headphones which Need Lots of Power?

- Is the Connection between Remote and amplifier better than the Old Smsl remotes (sh-9)?

So in comparison to the sh-9 there are These advantages:

+ better built quality
+ better screen
+ better Remote (?)
+ fully balanced
+ more power
+ speaker amp / pre amp
+ 4,4 mm output
+ relayed volume Control

Is This correct? Do you Know more? So changing the sh-9 against the l70 is a Good idea?

Nordling

The First Topping headphone amplifier with a remote. I actually use the Smsl Sh-9 but i think the l70 is worth an upgrade. Some questions:

This amplifier has got enough power, even for a Susvara or other headphones which Need Lots of Power?

- Is the Connection between Remote and amplifier better than the Old Smsl remotes (sh-9)?

So in comparison to the sh-9 there are These advantages:

+ better built quality
+ better screen
+ better Remote (?)
+ fully balanced
+ more power
+ speaker amp / pre amp
+ 4,4 mm output
+ relayed volume Control

Is This correct? Do you Know more? So changing the sh-9 against the l70 is a Good idea?
Well, the Topping A90 Discrete also has a remote.

NexusOne

Oh yes, you are right. But I think it is better to buy the L70 because it is cheaper and about the same level. I am sure the l70 is an upgrade in comparison to the Smsl SH-9.

Leva

Hi Guys. Could anybody please clarify for me if I can use L70 as pure preamp with volume control? I don't use headphones but I need to connect two sources E70 dac + analog output from phono preamp to my hypex nc252mp power amp. I see two inputs on l70 RCA + xlr. Could I connect e70 to xlr and analog from phono to rca and switch inputs on l70 plus control volume from remote? Output will go to power amp via xlr. Will it degrade sound quality and i should buy some preamp twice expensive like topping pre90 or schiit frea s? Thanks

Ugo Ruffini

Then safely use it as a stereo preamplifier I'm also inserting it between my dac and my hypex nc502mp power amp I will probably buy it soon even by setting the gain to a minimum we would only exploit the initial part of the gain!

qbbsdpir

I am thinking a30pro or L70(or something else), I have no balance output need currently.

I have dt880 250ohm, some Audio-Technica (low impedance), ath-ew9, ath-a2000x, and hd600(in the future)

the spec said that 32ohm->5500mW and 32ohm->2300mW, it means the maximum? If I use maybe ew9 (29 ohms, Maximum Input Power: 100 mW) or something low impedance, is it possible to use both of them? Thanks!

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
I am thinking a30pro or L70(or something else), I have no balance output need currently.

I have dt880 250ohm, some Audio-Technica (low impedance), ath-ew9, ath-a2000x, and hd600(in the future)

the spec said that 32ohm->5500mW and 32ohm->2300mW, it means the maximum? If I use maybe ew9 (29 ohms, Maximum Input Power: 100 mW) or something low impedance, is it possible to use both of them? Thanks!
If I understand correctly, you want to use two headphones at the same time, taking advantage of the three headphone sockets on the A30 Pro. It is possible since all three are connected, but there are two factors to consider. First, if the headphones are not the same, the volume of each one will be different, and there is no way to individually adjust the volume of each headphone. Second, the impedance that the amplifier "sees" is the impedance resulting from connecting two loads in parallel, which is smaller than the smaller of the impedances and is calculated as follows:

Total impedance = 1 / (1/ impedance headphone 1 + 1/Impedance headphone 2).

The minimum impedance of the A30 Pro must be 12 Ohms. Make sure that the result does not fall below this value.

qbbsdpir

If I understand correctly, you want to use two headphones at the same time, taking advantage of the three headphone sockets on the A30 Pro. It is possible since all three are connected, but there are two factors to consider. First, if the headphones are not the same, the volume of each one will be different, and there is no way to individually adjust the volume of each headphone. Second, the impedance that the amplifier "sees" is the impedance resulting from connecting two loads in parallel, which is smaller than the smaller of the impedances and is calculated as follows:

Total impedance = 1 / (1/ impedance headphone 1 + 1/Impedance headphone 2).

The minimum impedance of the A30 Pro must be 12 Ohms. Make sure that the result does not fall below this value.
Thank for replying. the both of them I mean A30pro and L70.

I was using the Teac ud-501 many years. Now I have the thought to upgrade it.

I try to search but I can't clear understand the related calculate. (something like the impedance matching between dac and hp amp, the amp output power and hp impedance, ........)

My thought was if I use the low impedance hp connect to the amp. Because the low impedance, and the amp output power should be huge. I am not sure the headphone/in-ear will be destroy? I think the power output should be linear, control by the volume. But I am not sure it has the safe point before it reach the headphone maximum power. Or the loud volume I can't endure before it reach the maximum?

Top Bottom