• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music Server for Work Office

wacomme

My work PC laptop (Windows 10) is heavily restricted, as is the internet access (though remarkably I can get Tidal). I've tried to get Equalizer APO to work on my PC laptop to no avail. Lately, I've been trying to get audio out to a Topping E30II dac. I also have a L50 that allows me the option of listening via headphones or external speakers (Audioengine A5's). I can load the dac driver, and within settings it looks like audio is playing through the Topping dac, but I get no sound. Within Device Manager, I get some access error (I forgot the error wording; I'm currently not at work, and I'm a Mac person at home). I don't want to inquire about the problem at work since the problem may be purposeful by administration - I'm not sure what the problem is - I'm not a PC person.

Ultimately, it would be good to bypass my whole work laptop. I can use my iPhone (cell service) + Apple Camera Adapter + Qudelix to listen to music via headphones or IEMs. While it works well, it ties up my iPhone making it unwieldy to use; I love the Qudelix for portable use, but I really don't like using it in my office. The same problem would apply connecting my iPhone to my Topping dac, sans any EQ I'd get with the Qudelix.

I thought I had a solution with a Raspberry Pi. I had a Pi 4 working running with Volumio, but the Pi started working intermittently and then wouldn't boot at all - this was from home. I pulled the Pi from the Raspberry 7" display housing, flashed a few SD micro discs with both Volumio and Moode software, but none of the flash drives would boot the software. My guess is that I have a broken Raspberry Pi - I have no idea how to fix it. Even if I could get the Raspberry working, I have my doubts I could connect it to my work network; my work network would recognize the Raspberry as a personal device, requiring a pop-up login - not sure how I'd be able to login with that required pop-up?

Another option is a Wiim - either mini or pro (could connect to work network via ethernet). Again, I'm not sure how the Wiim would handle the personal device login. I suppose I could buy a Wiim and see how it connects to my work network. Thoughts?

Is it possible to connect the Wiim to my iPhone used as a personal hotspot?

Is there another solution I'm overlooking?

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Does anyone have any thoughts and/or suggestions?

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How about a Bluetooth receiver? They don’t require internet access, so you could just play straight from your phone to the target.

I don’t know anything about this unit, but just to make the concept clear:
1Mii B06Pro+ Bluetooth Receiver, Hi-Res Bluetooth 5.1 Wireless Audio Adapter w/ LDAC for Home Stereo, Long Range HiFi Bluetooth Receiver aptX HD Low Latency aptX Adaptive Volume Control LCD Display https://a.co/d/esGClr5

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Bluetooth from phone to Quedlix?

This is work - music is the background. No need to overthink it or involve a number of contraptions.
Thank you. That's certainly one option, and an easy one to implement. But if I want higher sound fidelity . . .? And I do. I'd rather NOT go bluetooth.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I'd guess the driver is being "blocked".

The Raspberry Pi or Wimm should work. I assume you've tried the Raspberry Pi at home and it works?

Some sites are blocked on the network but I can get Spotify an YouTube. And I do use my hot-spot when I want to get-around the blocking. I don't have any streaming subscriptions. At my last job YouTube was blocked but I don't think Spotify was.

I have a personal computer (on that I own) at work. It's a "cheap" Windows desktop. I probably paid $500 USD. ...I don't have an office and I can't normally play music, but when I do (weekends or after hours) I just use speakers plugged into the soundcard,

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I'd guess the driver is being "blocked".

The Raspberry Pi or Wimm should work. I assume you've tried the Raspberry Pi at home and it works?

Some sites are blocked on the network but I can get Spotify an YouTube. And I do use my hot-spot when I want to get-around the blocking. I don't have any streaming subscriptions. At my last job YouTube was blocked but I don't think Spotify was.

I have a personal computer (on that I own) at work. It's a "cheap" Windows desktop. I probably paid $500 USD. ...I don't have an office and I can't normally play music, but when I do (weekends or after hours) I just use speakers plugged into the soundcard,
The Raspberry Pi is broken - so I think. I can no longer get it to boot at home, despite trying several flash drives with both Volumio and Moode software. I have no idea how to troubleshoot the source of the broken Pi.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Thank you. That's certainly one option, and an easy one to implement. But if I want higher sound fidelity . . .? And I do. I'd rather NOT go bluetooth.
Ldac bluetooth. Iirc 115 db sinad. Its on every android phone.

110db on the dx3pro:

That is basically 10 to 15 db better than cd is capable of.

Last edited:

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Iphone + adapter to headphone out cable to amplifier or speaker input then?

99db sinad. Still better than cd.

Edit: I just noticed you mentioned this option but would rather keep your phone free. Then imo you could better buy a cheap android phone with ldac and use an sd card or streaming service.

Last edited:
OP
wacomme

wacomme

Would a used
Iphone + adapter to headphone out cable to speaker input then?

Yes. But I use my iPhone often and having it connected to a bunch of wires is frustrating - doable, but not user friendly. This may be my best (and cheapest) solution, but I'm trying to find something more user-friendly.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Ldac bluetooth. Iirc 115 db sinad. Its on every android phone.

110db on the dx3pro:

Would a used LG V30 from eBay be a cheap solution? Would I need to connect it to a wireless network? Could I just use downloaded music on a flash card to play music to the Topping E30II dac via Ldac bluetooth?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a better android phone option than the LG V30?
Define better. Sound quality via bt will be defined by the speaker, the amp, the codec and the DAC, so mostly not by he phone.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Define better. Sound quality via bt will be defined by the speaker, the amp, the codec and the DAC, so mostly not by he phone.
I know absolutely nothing about android phones - I've only owned iPhones. Thus, I'm seeking an inexpensive android phone with ldac bluetooth, and a phone that takes a flash drive. I presume even an unlocked android phone comes with phone software, software that plays music - correct?

I would also like to install EQ software (PEQ) on the phone. I use the Qudelix too often for portable use, that I'd prefer a different dac for work (unfortunately, the E30II does NOT have bluetooth). Can I install software on the LG V30 or the Samsung A40? And what EQ software would you suggest?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I like the Shanling M0 DAP, as it can export the music to my Topping E30II dac (via USB). However, using this scenario, and I like not using my Qudelix at work (I use the Qudelix a lot for portable use, and I would like to use it for that purpose only), I would NOT have EQ functionality - which I want.

Is it possible to use the Wimm for my purpose?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know absolutely nothing about android phones - I've only owned iPhones. Thus, I'm seeking an inexpensive android phone with ldac bluetooth, and a phone that takes a flash drive. I presume even an unlocked android phone comes with phone software, software that plays music - correct?
Well, I use either Hi-Fi Cast or the player which comes with Total Commander.
I would also like to install EQ software (PEQ) on the phone. I use the Qudelix too often for portable use, that I'd prefer a different dac for work (unfortunately, the E30II does NOT have bluetooth). Can I install software on the LG V30 or the Samsung A40? And what EQ software would you suggest?
See this thread.

Top Bottom