• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How can I make this system better? Hegel h390 and focal Diablo utopia

OP
D

Diseasex

Mostly I wonder why that integrated amp was chosen with the goals in mind....
It has built in dac, got great reviews, good resale value, and according to my research sounds better than the likes of NAD m33

Willem

Major Contributor
Your research is wrong. Did you see Amir's amplifier measurements? Mind you, the difference between good amplifiers will be inaudible. The biggest issue with this Hegel is that I cannot think of a way to insert a dsp unit between the pre and power stages. You have a line level output but no line level input for the power amp stage, nor traditional tape in and out connections. There is probably no high pass filter for just the power amp stage, or is there?

OP
D

Diseasex

Your research is wrong. Did you see Amir's amplifier measurements? Mind you, the difference between good amplifiers will be inaudible. The biggest issue with this Hegel is that I cannot think of a way to insert a dsp unit between the pre and power stages. You have a line level output but no line level input for the power amp stage, nor traditional tape in and out connections. There is probably no high pass filter for just the power amp stage, or is there?
Because my input is my pc I have software dsp and software high pass. It’s probably even better than your hardware solutions where you get dsp but worse SQ in class D. the only integration I use is the dac and the power of this Hegel

jsilvela

To be fair the conversation with Petertyson was about 1000 pro, so I wrote that wrongly, applogies

Their advice was rel t7/x and I don’t particularly agree to that and I know there’s lots of hate towards them as they are too expensive to what they offer.
G'day. Fairly new here myself and on a similar journey.
On the SB1000 being low end: in many stores and youtube audio review channels, I see a kind of matching by price range.
E.g. if your speakers are 8k euros, don't skimp out on a 700 euro sub.

Adding a vote to measuring with REW and UMIK-1. Eye-opening, you'll soon find.
In a small room you may well have powerful room modes at LF, and they'd make even subs "expensive enough" to match your Focals sound cheap.

OP
D

Diseasex

9F164DB0-0056-412B-A9BC-3F68666F7F99.jpeg

Added a rug I could find quickly. I’m sure you guys will appreciate the artistic sense of it haha.

But the sound is amazing and it made huge difference!

E.g. if your speakers are 8k euros, don't skimp out on a 700 euro sub.
Yes I’m buying svs 2000 pro soon. Just waiting to snatch some bargain

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
As for the dsp and high pass on the PC: of course you can do both on the PC but not for main speakers and subwoofers separately. So if you high pass at e.g. 80 Hz your main speakers will be unburdened of the lowest frequencies but so will your subwoofers.

Willem

Major Contributor
Subwoofer choice should largely depend on room size and required extension for your normal program material. For smoothest response multiple subwoofers are required. See the Earl Geddes video and the Toole book.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
D

Diseasex

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Dacs are also ‘done’ unless a manufacturer contrives to add audible distortion, it is extremely difficult to cut through the marketing crap, but you are here and that is a start.
Keith

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for this link,
Unfortunately can’t find information or data on dac of h390 but I’m told it’s about the quality of chord qutest.
Any way I can carry these tests myself without expensive kit ?
Amir's test rig is pretty pricey....and while you can do it in other ways for less, still somewhat an investment in measurement gear in both time and money....

Willem

Major Contributor
Forget the DAC issue. It is not the greatest but you will not notice (and Chord is not the most obvious choice either). Deal with the room first.

OP
D

Diseasex

Forget the DAC issue. It is not the greatest but you will not notice (and Chord is not the most obvious choice either). Deal with the room first.
so 4 diffusers , 2 behind the speakers and 2 above? (I think diffusers look GREAT)

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just fix furniture. TV on a low bench, paintings/decoration on the walls, small coffee table, thick carpet etc. Try arrange symmetry of the speaker and room dimensions.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
so 4 diffusers , 2 behind the speakers and 2 above? (I think diffusers look GREAT)
Absorption first, not diffusers. Behind speakers will be the most advantageous. The ceiling at the first reflection points makes a big difference as well if it is possible. Then back wall is next in priority.

GIK has a lot of good info on this on their website.

Top Bottom