• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is an equivalent product to HiFi snake oil?

FlyingFreak

I think we (as a culture) somehow (we can all debate on 'who might be responsible', 'who might be more responsible' and who might be the first responsible' at the bar) created a world that is mostly snake oil.

In France, last century, a crazy writer/director called La Society du Spectacle. Kind of sticked in some places.

Point is: how much of the public discourse can we believe in? Who here can vote for a public representative at any level that they know for sure is telling the truth? Who can go buy ... anything and know the actual cost of it without spending hours researching it themselves? I mean... we call our meaningless culture 'consumer culture' yet we also all know information is hidden from consumers every time someone is not watching and most of the time, though bribes of some sort, when someone is watching. So we're all free individuals with no power, no control and no information.

Best way to cope, embrace it and become a snake oil seller (or reseller) ourselves.

For real... do you guys know people in virtually any chemical industry since they exist are aware of how dangerous their things are?
We all know (most) politicians work together in a civilize manner once the cameras are out. Not only with their peers but with any interest group representatives.

Our little oasis of peace here (I m imagining people who like to get inflamed on audio stuff alone in front of a scree are getting off on it, it's their thing. Peace doesnt look nor feel like a quiet morning on a mountain lac for everyone) isnt anything out of the ordinary. Nothing special at all.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Next question would be, exactly what do you carry in such a luxurious handbag?
If you can afford to buy that handbag, you’ll have someone else to carry the mundane stuff that goes in a handbag, surely?

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Well they want to appear woke.
And somehow prefer that to reality.
Trust me, no University is “woke” when it comesto taking money from individuals, industries or areas of government that you would never put in the “woke” basket; and none are “woke” these days when it comes to their own employees’ work conditions.

I’ll stop there to avoid politics.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Trust me, no University is “woke” when it comesto taking money from individuals, industries or areas of government that you would never put in the “woke” basket; and none are “woke” these days when it comes to their own employees’ work conditions.

Maybe they want to appear to be woke.
And “Islamophobia” is a usual dog whistle and way to demonise or attack one another.

It is heavily political, and professors can have a high amount of competition and in-fighting etc.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
This was shared by someone I know on my FB feed, implying that the vaccine was somehow responsible for all these deaths:

325485214_738406124046927_7548175767030593180_n.jpg

I still think there are bigger fish to fry than bothering with audiophile snake oil.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
This was shared by someone I know on my FB feed, implying that the vaccine was somehow responsible for all these deaths:

325485214_738406124046927_7548175767030593180_n.jpg

I still think there are bigger fish to fry than bothering with audiophile snake oil.
I feel "like" is not the right form of approval here. And I also think that we have to fight the wrongs whereever they are: I saw your comment on gender studies, and the gender studies staff I know are concerned about gendered violence and the lack of resources older women have compared to men for retirement, two issues which also still need addressing.
Audiophile snake oil is a minor thing on the scale of things, true. But the problems are still about people and faulty thinking. Stop someone going down one bad route with reasoned argument, and you may stop them going down many. Who thought that a "paleo chef" would lead people into anti-vaccine and racist beliefs, and who stood up when that guy started on pseudoscience in a "minor thing"?

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Well they want to appear woke.
And somehow prefer that to reality.
Well put. They are all about "emotions ahead of facts". Jokingly; I see some future Bill Clinton in 2059 admitting: "But of course it was CIA, what'd ya think it was?!?!" :D

Keith_W

Major Contributor
@Keith_W I am assuming that you believe that there is a link?

I have some cables…

Perhaps you missed the bits where I said I am a medical doctor, and that I think there are more important issues (such as vaccine denial) than audiophile snake oil? What makes you think that I would believe there is a link?

Last edited:

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think everyone agrees. But, like you, we still spend a portion of each day frying the small fish.

Utilitarianism doesn’t scale well. We haven’t given away our assets down to subsistence level either (to buy malaria nets or what have you) , or started eating bugs. We all live at least part of our lives at a more local scale.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Perhaps you missed the bits where I said I am a medical doctor, and that I think there are more important issues (such as vaccine denial) than audiophile snake oil? What makes you think that I would believe there is a link?

It was posed as a question.
“I assume…?”

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Well put. They are all about "emotions ahead of facts". Jokingly; I see some future Bill Clinton in 2059 admitting: "But of course it was CIA, what'd ya think it was?!?!" :D
Would you care to provide, er, some evidence for that assertion about emotions?

Galliardist

Major Contributor

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
OK fellas that’s enough about the Vaccine whatever and the geographical whatever. No Politics here. No Covid anything here. We come here to get away from all this crap. Please change the subject.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
This is a cute depiction of snake oil. It used to denote a miracle cure. It promised wonders and couldn't deliver.

egellings

Major Contributor
If you can afford to buy that handbag, you’ll have someone else to carry the mundane stuff that goes in a handbag, surely?
Ya mean you just carry an empty handbag? My understanding of handbags is that they are just a luxury-show item, and apparently, in Japan, men carry them too.

egellings

Major Contributor

Wasn't the old term replaced by woke 'hip'?

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Wasn't the old term replaced by woke 'hip'?
I you persist in directing the conversation to “Woke, not woke” conversation you will most certainly regret it. I already asked nicely and repeatedly here and elsewhere in our Forums. I don’t want to be forced to use blunt force tools. Just change the subject please.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I think cosmetics promise like a mountain of results and never deliver. Come to think of it, I haven't seen cosmetics managing even to permanently stop a hair growing in the wrong place unless they burn the root. A lot of snake-oil in cosmetics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom