• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dayton Audio WBA31 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 60 43.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 68 49.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@sarumbear I mainly dropped with online streaming so it's useful to me like last winter snow. I do use local network streaming most of the time and JRiver shines there with embedded interface, full DSP tool chain and such. The reason for dropping online streaming; is lack of local or lesser known music, not complete catalogues for most authors, bad materials and such. I agree Roon is much better regarding integrated streaming services but I don't need it for that, not even if I returned back to it as I have streamer integrated in my amp (MusicCast) which still works better and simpler to me than round, around solutions.
Now answer me how will you integrate ISO 226 2003 in Roon?
I’m still not able to communicate with you. When I said I stopped JRiver I gave you my reason which is no longer using local media. I didn’t say Roon cannot handle local media or not good at it. It handles both local media streaming the same.

What I’m saying is you are missing the music part of the music playback and concentrating on playback only.

Meanwhile, why do you want to integrate ISO 226? It’s not a standard about listening music! This is what its abstract says. Emphasis is mine.

The specifications are based on the following conditions: the sound field in the absence of the listener consists of a free progressive plane wave; the source of sound is directly in front of the listener; the sound signals are pure tones…

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@sarumbear that's because you are not listening to me but only yourself.
As stated before that's totally fine with me. I never tryid to claim Roon is bad or anything, just said JRiver ain't bad and it's self explenaned why you prefer Roon more as it better suits your needs.

I think you are missing music part of music by leaning on the streaming services but that's the difference in thinking. Don't worry about me, reconstructing my music server and taking care of it brought me a lot of joy and memories, there is something about digging in the old archives and discovering things that way at least regarding me.

I don't really want to integrate equal loudness normalization at least not for my self (have it on amp) but I whose puzzled how hard it is to find a good third part implementation of it in a meaningful form that would be easy enough to integrate in most players on most OS-es and most architectures as I didn't find any such solution so far. That's why I asked you and for broad consumer population of course, hoping you might know some. I use it when I want to listen quietly in the background which by the way isn't often. Actually I like to listen on higher level than most folks around hire 80 dB which is still under 84 dB calibration 0 correction point for ISO 226 but doesn't really need correction.

Best regards and have a nice time.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@sarumbear that's because you are not listening to me but only yourself.
I can say the same about you :) You seem to have no interest in metadata or finding new music, which is fine but that is the USP of Roon.

I don't really want to integrate equal loudness normalization at least not for my self (have it on amp) but I whose puzzled how hard it is to find a good third part implementation of it in a meaningful form that would be easy enough to integrate in most players on most OS-es and most architectures as I didn't find any such solution so far.
Possibly because you do not need it. Equal loudness curves are not relevant for music.

Best regards and have a nice time.
Same to you.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What I’m saying is you are missing the music part of the music playback and concentrating on playback only.
Based on the ongoing great conversation, would K.I.S.S. be missing from this dis-cussion about music listening??
Archimedes' pronouncement that the "shortest path between two points is a straight line" has been much contested.;)
Yet, it holds much truth between my digital media -residing in local storage- and my ears; without requiring the internet, WiFi and/or needing any cloud activity.
Seems like we can discuss how 'robust' (but useless) a 700Mbps fiber-at-curbside can be but then that would be concentrating on playback ONLY.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Idk what a linkplay module is but I ordered a WiiM Pro after reading your comment and the product blurb. Thanks!

For now I'm playing Amazon Music over BT5/LDAC and I'm not keen on either BT or streaming from the phone.
Well, that was a bust. The WiiM Pro won't set up. It gets stuck on this screen.

QXYUT0S10Dp9RwQORXWTyDmOjCFD9aXO4StIF5ri6kBmTi8KML9QUkFPYuNyLqRe5zLftrhit_SPzWDkOroBmQPS-X7J6pbMzYyNPOAcjYcUfvWPcUbgWYQfaDYofuk9esFmKF5q_Cm4XRm8CrF4JTCS3TpznDUqiNA5ELOKcQkmq91mS8WPLyENTbrN6OAdkWghUy7FZEWJCbPC2P-uwy0y3AwSfNbzm-IV5ZXtKvSp_5al0WabZ3l5d_jt_ogQzCWbjgsfCZeadklrK-sDmuuz7Lf56SxlpXTUzgw5OFyA1t3iaoQVL7_GfvzwL7WURIjq352fjJ1UHOnN5kOe1d7ipuRq0_GJ1WbSSPFd310ZveT7tD-iYSFp_KYu6jVxnd-mxQitK6B7nmGraSR4-Uuhm6UvHxMo6tnD6mJrJQT_vMJsh8TzByarVB-KwosbOdQoPGRmrjS0ycDUhrozE4Fz8TwtGSDkBYGtNrwoiH85MFf2h6XmolISWRVjgsxJJl2xnaSrN2KUufz2LhZM3ZOESO3nBe4orlmaAeFqCveoS_PkCBa0sl-cX1r95CujKxuOk9eVlt-H76dg5WbELc9x25kQzKIp9pAFvRVstt3a8f9Lb4mFCodPaZbtv-DMf96YDnOmI6RJU9lwIZfb5ksxfPXp5Eu6TBxCOqdlG4Ljdv1_3pY63VsNGwFW-mU2-AgHQCfP59eMqnEUBCtNd1TqINsfS-kB2TdzmubWuTyiTKHZieMkYKBb3Zn4aXEu4vmFMMCibCsZRv_PWytp0uBR2bntY7IKkgOYZ-RjpcEpUC-wMl1I75bWNVPgQMrENTlwrkF3gjF7v2JH1wNZy-aKe7-Zb9k8OkqlyAAx_KEmUYwU3DLdgCQ-L3EwRcoF3thgYvPEE_QwWaS4YOKskgW23LGfVMUXdrtHIAbjoBpLCYBp9Q=w851-h1841-no

It seems bad for business that you have to process returns for It Doesn't Work. I mean, what's the point?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Keep forgetting the limits of rural USA. It’s not easy to comprehend that fast broadband penetration in the USA is still at 24% while in the U.K. and most of Europe it’s reaching 90%.
when one thinks about the fact one could fit the entirety of GB inside Montana...

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's the speed to your nearest, high performance webserver. It is not the speed or performance you get continuously against a streaming service. We have 1.2 gigabit/sec link yet still get pauses on youtube and Tidal from time to time due to their end being overwhelmed. Mind you, it is 99% of the time is reliable but not as good as local streaming.
We have Gigabit Google Fiber and frequently experience buffering when watching Amazon Prime but no other service so something's odd there.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We pay about $30/mo. for 300Mbps cable (no 'bw' cap.). I don't know how that compares with anywhere else, or anyone else.
I like meters and graphs but I like monitoring my network activity in real-time more!:oops:
I have been using "DUmeter" by HagelTech (GmbH) for decades on my computers.
It occupies about a 3"x1" area on one 27" monitor (bottom right).
202301_DUmeter.png

I am going to be brave enough to show my network activity (from WAN but not LAN) in the hopes that other members would also contribute their usage profiles as I am:
202301_DUmeterData02.png

202301_DUmeterData01.png

It really is that powerful of a Windows program... from real-time to circa 2016.:cool:
I don't know if my network usage is normal or too high or too low...

Alien23fR

Looking for a cheap / small / simple internet radio streaming device to use it in a very specific situation: my dad has an old hi-fi system and would like to listen some stations, but he doesn't have a smartphone. Is it possible to bypass the app for this item, please? I can eventually set it up using mine, but is it possible to access a couple of stations from presets / memory using only the remote?
Another alternative would be Arylic s10 which is also coming with an ethernet connection and a remote, but I can consider others solutions. Thanks!

The Guy who cares

Looking for a cheap / small / simple internet radio streaming device to use it in a very specific situation: my dad has an old hi-fi system and would like to listen some stations, but he doesn't have a smartphone. Is it possible to bypass the app for this item, please? I can eventually set it up using mine, but is it possible to access a couple of stations from presets / memory using only the remote?
Another alternative would be Arylic s10 which is also coming with an ethernet connection and a remote, but I can consider others solutions. Thanks!
You need to find a streamer with RCA anolog stereo outputs to connect to the old Receiver. Google Seach it "Inexpensive Streaming with Anolog Outs. I am sure you'll find plenty out there.

Alien23fR

I believe I made a mistake, I was making reference to WBA51, the one reviewed here is a different item, sorry.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do newer TVs offer internet-radio service? Or an app?
My last two A/V Pre/Proc networked hardware included internet-radio....

Alien23fR

You need to find a streamer with RCA anolog stereo outputs to connect to the old Receiver. Google Seach it "Inexpensive Streaming with Anolog Outs. I am sure you'll find plenty out there.
Thanks for the quick reply, you'd be surprised to hear that I'm digging for a while, and these are the proposed solutions: Dayton, Arylic, wiim, iEast SoundStream Pro.. Of course there are many others, but without a remote.

Alien23fR

Do newer TVs offer internet-radio service? Or an app?
My last two A/V Pre/Proc networked hardware included internet-radio....
I believe most of current TVs offer Internet radio, indeed. The issue is that dad is not using a TV, unfortunately(?).

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Alien23fR
How about doing a RaspberryPi exercise in a DIY project to impress pop?

Alien23fR

@Alien23fR
How about doing a RaspberryPi exercise in a DIY project to impress pop?
First, I want to make sure this function is supported, hence the question. If this small devices serve their purpose, I would very much like to recycle one from the second market.

Alien23fR

Nevertheless, I believe that I've found exactly what I was looking for: the Squeezebox! Fabulous little device with great functionality, permets full control using only the remote, bypassing the need of an app or smartphone.

Screenshot_20230701_185939_Chrome.jpg

zeropoint

Or, perhaps, something like this:

Top Bottom