• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

Viper Necklampy

Newbie here, sorry for the simple questions D: I'm interested in ATOM, but i really don't know how to connect it on my sources and a DAC (Does it requires a dac?).. I will use it mostly on Playstations, they have all optical out, so this amp does not have optical, so, how i'm able to connect all? Optical from Ps4 to a DAC, then RCA to an AMP, and i plug headphones (Audeze EL8 Closed) to the AMP? I really don't know, I'm feeling like a noob to ask :D ;)

Tatteredmidnight

Newbie here, sorry for the simple questions D: I'm interested in ATOM, but i really don't know how to connect it on my sources and a DAC (Does it requires a dac?).. I will use it mostly on Playstations, they have all optical out, so this amp does not have optical, so, how i'm able to connect all? Optical from Ps4 to a DAC, then RCA to an AMP, and i plug headphones (Audeze EL8 Closed) to the AMP? I really don't know, I'm feeling like a noob to ask :D;)
You got it right! PS4 -> DAC -> Atom -> headphones.

Viper Necklampy

You got it right! PS4 -> DAC -> Atom -> headphones.
Thanks! So i guess i'll order the JDS Labs atom, do you think is hard to order one because of it's greatness? What about a great dac combination for the Atom for around 100$-250$ or slightly more? :D Just to make sure, if I buy JDS Atom and Topping D50, connections: Ps4 Optical out to D50 optical in ; D50 RCA Out to ATOM RCA In ; Headphones plugged via Atom 3.5mm. Right is all ok? :p Edit MKIII: Please someone responde this little nooby :( V4: Plizzz :)

Last edited:

mahirzukic2

Thanks! So i guess i'll order the JDS Labs atom, do you think is hard to order one because of it's greatness? What about a great dac combination for the Atom for around 100$-250$ or slightly more? :D Just to make sure, if I buy JDS Atom and Topping D50, connections: Ps4 Optical out to D50 optical in ; D50 RCA Out to ATOM RCA In ; Headphones plugged via Atom 3.5mm. Right is all ok? :p Edit MKIII: Please someone responde this little nooby :( V4: Plizzz :)
That is correct. You obviously don't seem such a noob like you think you are.

Viper Necklampy

N
That is correct. You obviously don't seem such a noob like you think you are.
Well i'm newbie more than a Nooby xD They helped me with this, otherwise I Couldn't come to the conclusion, just because i never touched that stuff.. Now i have another doubt, another Basic-embarassing question, if Playstation have optical out, to connect to an amp, should it have Optical in only? Otherwise it will not work? So with Topping d10 that have optical out it won't work, but with Topping D30/D50 it would work because it have the optical in, right? With RCA to an Amp i should it won't be problems..

MrC

N

Well i'm newbie more than a Nooby xD They helped me with this, otherwise I Couldn't come to the conclusion, just because i never touched that stuff.. Now i have another doubt, another Basic-embarassing question, if Playstation have optical out, to connect to an amp, should it have Optical in only? Otherwise it will not work? So with Topping d10 that have optical out it won't work, but with Topping D30/D50 it would work because it have the optical in, right? With RCA to an Amp i should it won't be problems..

Correcto.

mahirzukic2

N

See? You are not a noob.

GeekyBastard

99 dollars for the amp, 35 dollars for shipping, 19% import fee (19 dollars), my goodness, I could nearly buy another one Atom with that price, I'm drooling and crying at the same time...:facepalm: Is there any budget headphone amp from China that sounds nice?

Jaimo

I too am planning to put the Khadas Tone Board in a case, and bind it with the JDS Atom probably with a bolt and nut.
Just go with this combo, and you will be set for life, until you maybe try to look for a balanced DAC and AMP combo, but Khadas is planning on making a balanced DAC in 2019, and there is a cheap LOXJIE P20 balanced AMP (albeit a tube amp, not a solid state amp) already.
As someone previously said, this is a good time to be alive as far as the cheap high quality sound is concerned.
Thinking of doing the same to replace my dog ODAC /O2 combo.Let me know how you make out.

mahirzukic2

99 dollars for the amp, 35 dollars for shipping, 19% import fee (19 dollars), my goodness, I could nearly buy another one Atom with that price, I'm drooling and crying at the same time...:facepalm: Is there any budget headphone amp from China that sounds nice?
Hardly, that's the whole point that Atom exists and is highly praised. Its competition is Liquid Spark and Schiit Magni. It has better measurements than LS and Magni, but it's made out of plastic duh. None the less, it is still more frequently chosen among the audiophiles (or audiophiles in the making) myself included. Even after you add all the costs of shipping and importing, it is still the best AMP for that money and beats more expensive AMPs.
Next up after the Atom is the THX 789 AMP which costs about 350$ and is a balanced AMP with a solid aluminum milled casing. I think that THX 789 is the endgame AMP, you won't get better than this.

Viper Necklampy

Hardly, that's the whole point that Atom exists and is highly praised. Its competition is Liquid Spark and Schiit Magni. It has better measurements than LS and Magni, but it's made out of plastic duh. None the less, it is still more frequently chosen among the audiophiles (or audiophiles in the making) myself included. Even after you add all the costs of shipping and importing, it is still the best AMP for that money and beats more expensive AMPs.
Next up after the Atom is the THX 789 AMP which costs about 350$ and is a balanced AMP with a solid aluminum milled casing. I think that THX 789 is the endgame AMP, you won't get better than this.
The point is: How the hell do we get the AAA 789 AMP if on massdrop is requested by 5000+ people worldwile? D:

kprog

Does not have a power button?
To leave the volume wheel adjusted and not have to re-adjust every time I want to play? (I usually play the same game always)

MrC

To leave the volume wheel adjusted and not have to re-adjust every time I want to play? (I usually play the same game always)

I would suggest two tiny pieces (dot size) of sticker paper, or two white marks with a marker. That way you turn it on and can easily turn it to the exact same level every time. I use this method on a lot of my effects pedals.

wadec22

I leave mine on 24/7

kprog

a system so that it is in standby mode when it has no signal for a few minutes. It would be perfect.

AresHarvest

Hmm, not sure if it's a fluke, but just now my Atom stayed active (no relay click, LED still lit) after switching it off. I then twisted the knob past the detent and then back off, then the unit turned off as normal.

I'm not worried about it, but it was a bit strange. Anyone encounter the same thing?

Top Bottom