• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What would you do from here? (REW Graph)

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Green is the new measurement. My EQ only allows 63 - 125 - 250 - 500 - 1k - 2k - 4k - 8k - 16k

I could see a bump up at 125, 250, 4k... after that, it's sub placement and room treatments, right? Phase for the sub... always scares me to think about how to figure that switch out on the sub. It's at the standard 0, always wonder if I should ever switch it to 180.

View attachment 256580
Thanks.

Compared to the peaks and dips you might wanna fix, your Marantz EQ is too coarse. However this doesn't mean it's useless. Considering common house curves like Harman or B&K there may be some room for optimizations you could use your EQ for.

I have attached a .REQ file representing your graphical EQ as a parametric one. The Q values are an educated guess of one octave. With measurements you should be able to verify these at one point.

You can open it in REW's EQ Filters window, and adjust the various Gain values to see what's achievable with your graphical EQ. Because you can ask REW to only optimize gains while leaving F and Q alone, you can even use it to let REW match a target curve as closely as it can. For instance taking into account the interactions between adjacent GEQ sliders.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 9 band GEQ as PEQ.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks.

Compared to the peaks and dips you might wanna fix, your Marantz EQ is too coarse. However this doesn't mean it's useless. Considering common house curves like Harman or B&K there may be some room for optimizations you could use your EQ for.

I have attached a .REQ file representing your graphical EQ as a parametric one. The Q values are an educated guess of one octave. With measurements you should be able to verify these at one point.

You can open it in REW's EQ Filters window, and adjust the various Gain values to see what's achievable with your graphical EQ. Because you can ask REW to only optimize gains while leaving F and Q alone, you can even use it to let REW match a target curve as closely as it can. For instance taking into account the interactions between adjacent GEQ sliders.

Hope this helps!
Yes if one uses the built-in PEQ with 5 filters this is definitely not enough.

However afik Audyssey XT32 uses much more, but honestly I don’t know how much. I just know that my MultiEQX software lets me import much more than 5 filters from REW.

My experience is that one does not have to go the manual way of importing REW filters, as Audyssey XT32 does a good (enough) job, if used properly. It seems that the OP did not have all the settings correct for Audyssey to do it’s job and he is in the process now to systematically correct this.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Yes if one uses the built-in PEQ with 5 filters this is definitely not enough.
Isn't it a GEQ instead of a PEQ?

However afik Audyssey XT32 uses much more, but honestly I don’t know how much. I just know that my MultiEQX software lets me import much more than 5 filters from REW.
Not sure OP has Audyssey XT32 though?

OP
J

jester7677

I decided that the Marantz EQ and whatever Audessy was doing wasn’t sufficient. I have a SR-7005 receiver. So since I mainly stream from the PC and am in the process of putting all my CDs in JRiver why not use PC-based EQ. I am using Equalizer APO to apply filters generated by REW. I ended up adding 18 more parametric filters and a graphic equalizer in REW to better flatten the FR curve. All of the REW generated filters had to be tweaked. Slightly annoying to figure out all the software but rewarding in the end.
So what you are doing is EQ'ing prior to sending it to the receiver, is that right? I guess if you are invested in the PC route, ok. I use the Nvidia Shield to stream Plex (Server), Spotify, Kodi (FLAC), and Youtube, and then I have an Xbox Series X connected via HDMI and Toslink, so I have to work with the internals of the receiver. I have CDs, SCADs, and a Denon 3910, but just too lazy to reconnect it because of the lack of convenience.

I have an Anthem AVM 70 stuck in my brain, as this receiver is on the older side. What makes me hesitate is it appears that you run ARC and then are extremely limited with adjustments from there.

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So what you are doing is EQ'ing prior to sending it to the receiver, is that right? I guess if you are invested in the PC route, ok. I use the Nvidia Shield to stream Plex (Server), Spotify, Kodi (FLAC), and Youtube, and then I have an Xbox Series X connected via HDMI and Toslink, so I have to work with the internals of the receiver. I have CDs, SCADs, and a Denon 3910, but just too lazy to reconnect it because of the lack of convenience.

I have an Anthem AVM 70 stuck in my brain, as this receiver is on the older side. What makes me hesitate is it appears that you run ARC and then are extremely limited with adjustments from there.
I’m totally fine with the PC route. Hope to get a small fanless one of these days. Want to get all my CDs uploaded to hard drive eventually. Only need a receiver for the various sources and movies but as those older sources don’t get EQed they are not being used much anymore. Could go minidsp but just haven’t as the fidelity issues concern me.

Top Bottom